what is that thing??

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Farris Currie

what is that thing??

Post by Farris Currie »

ever get the question asked?it hurts so bad for people to ask that,i had a lady this wk.almost 30,didn't know what a steel guitar was.kids i understand,but grown people. whats it gonna take to expose steel guitars??and young people,just can't afford that kind of stuff. Parents aren't going to hand over 1000 dollars for jr.to play on.

I been trying to get some steels,for younger people to learn on. but can't spend that kind of money myself. don't do any good if they can't have one at home to practice. we learned on 6string laps,but now days they need pedal steels,with knees also. Just looking for ideas. i know its the parents place, but it just aint happening. farris
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

Get out of here.You had a 30year old lady this week?
You did let her go did ya?
Hey man there are several good dealers that can provide you with a starter steel that is cheaper then that.But some dealers are asking prices that go thru the roof.

Ron
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ronald ! on 15 April 2005 at 03:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Yep,Ron,they don't stay around here long.ha come take care of wife,clean house a little and gone.this old man don't pay no attention to them no more. they all cost to much for me.hahahaha
Speaking of cost,i looking at Nashville Steel Guitars,BOBBE said prices on steels,wow,can't believe a steel guitar for 8000 dollars! and a push pull for 5000 dollars and a pro 3 for 3000 dollars, can't ever see me with another steel,guess i better hang on to my stuff. farris
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Farris, I'm sure we all hear that question.
I ran out of cute answers so I just tell them it is a cheese slicer. About half of them believe me.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

John.

Egg cutter comes to mind.People over here in Europe are worse then the people in America.Over here 90% doesn't have a clue what a Steel guitar is.They think it's some kind of Harp.
I don't even explain anymore what kind of instrument I'm playing.

Ron
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Ron, make that over 99 per cent.

"what a funny keyboard"..."is it a zither?" ...or as my German-born neighbor says, "nice table guitar" ... not to mention what the ladies think the bar is for! Image I just tell 'em the batteries are dead Image
--------------------
´75 Emmons p/p D10 8+4, '96 Emmons Legrande II D10 8+5, ´76 Sho-Bud Pro III Custom SD10 4+5, Peavey Nashville 1000<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Per Berner on 15 April 2005 at 06:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i tell 'em it's my wife's knitting machine that i offered her for Christmas & that she never learned to use

Farris, that lady hauled outta yer place cause you was probably cookin' up possum agin<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 15 April 2005 at 06:34 AM.]</p></FONT>
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

From the responses I get from a few repeat audence memebers, I believe my Emmons p/p must be a keyboard of sorts.

Brad
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I was once complemented on my xylophone playing. Image Keyboard is the most common misnomer.
Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

I cried one time when a 6 year old boy walked up and said," I can do that!" He probably couldn't, but I was too embarrased to see if he could.

------------------
Sho-Bud PRO-I, 4&5
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Charlie,i think they use a different tuning than we do,first thing they do is change the tuning on mine!!

Crowbear,i wasn't cooking possum,has them layed out on the counter to skin,and she took off!!just ask her to hold one end!!

Had some great emails today,responding on this stuff.Thanks to each one.

Got one kid wanted a steel,but daddy chose to buy him a horse!!
farris
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Steven Black

Post by Steven Black »

Here in Columbus Ohio I had a woman come up to me and say I have never seen a Hammer Dulcimer that big before, I told her it was a steel guitar played with a bar, but she still believed it was a fancy hammer dulcimer.
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

But Farris is right though.I've seen these Promats on the forum before.Great steel guitar but $8000,-......no way Jose.Thats a bit out of my league.And why the high price?Is that because they are rare or that it's a European steel guitar?Or that they are hand-build?

Ron
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Had a lady ask me last Saturday while we were on break if I was the guy playing that " keyboard thingy " ?
Jeff Savage

Post by Jeff Savage »

Hi Everyone...I was playing at a moose club a few years ago at a wedding reception and after we were all done and were packing up a lady came up to me and asked "do you mind if I ask what they call that instrument that you play"...I told her it was a pedal steel guitar...she said "I'm a Music in Rochester NY and I have never seen one of those before"...I couldn't believe it.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

That's the way it's been going through all my years of playing.

We like to play them no matter what they call it, right?....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

BOYS WHEN THEY ASKED ME , I JUST TOLD THEM IT WAS A CLOTHES DRYER.....WHEN I SAW THE STARTLED LOOK ON THEIR FACES, I EXPLAINED THAT IS WHERE MY WIFE LAYS MY DIRTY DRAWERS TO AIR OUT ELECTRICALLY.... AND ALSO PURIFIES THEM, FOR LENT.........JEST EAT MOR POSSUM AND SELL A CD.........JENNINGS

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Cheese grater/slicer, and it's great for drying sliced apricots.
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Jennings,
You must be feeling better!!

Of course that "feeling" may not last if your wife ever reads some of your post!! lol...
Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/4, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

GOTTA WATCH JENNINGS BOYS,he will take you on a gator hunt.Ok what is that thing?
something for your kids to play on huh.

kids seem to love um what ever they are!!

And the folks at church love AMAZING GRACE on it.just don't let em get to close to it and see the evil card symbols on them. ha
farris
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Farris,,

They think I'm "real smart" when they see mine, think I'm one of those Nucular phi...... guys, can't say it, much less spell it!! lol...

Jennings aint trickin me into sking with him!!

Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/4, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Jack Dougherty

Post by Jack Dougherty »

It's a piano....It's an organ....It's a small foreign car..

I just tell them to pick one...

------------------
There is no such thing as too many steels!! Zum D10 8/8
Electronics.. constant state of flux
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Rather than being saddened by that question, I take it as an opportunity to hopefully "enlighten"... if there's time, like on a set break, I explain what the pedals do, and show the sound of the bar, let them hold it and make some noise- maybe next time they see one on T.V. they'll talk about it with whoever they're with, or pay more attention to the next person they see playing one live...every bit helps!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

WHEN I WAS A KID, I TRIED TO TAKE UP CONCERT GRAND PIANO, AND PIPE ORGAN.... WELL AFTER THE FIRST LESSONS AND HOME WORK, I DECIDED ON THE FIDDLE AND KAZOO........JENNINGS

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +