Low or a bass tuning?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joe Burke

Low or a bass tuning?

Post by Joe Burke »

Has anyone experimented with a lower tuning? Like an octave bellow C6? I suppose A6 is getting there.

I like the sound of lower melodies. I bet they could sound great on a lap steel.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

This is the tuning that Fender suggested for the bass neck (all triple and quad Stringmasters have wider nut slots and tuner holes on the front neck to accommodate a bass tuning).

This is the tuning suggested by Fender. I think if I was going to use it, I'd tune the low string to E though.

E wound 032 
C# wound 038 
A wound 044 
F# wound 048 
E wound 055 
C# wound 071 
A wound 087 
F wound 110

Although the nut and tuners were modified, the bridge plates weren't and I've seen some Bridgewater's the string holes had been enlarged for heavier strings.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

Thanks Jeff. Is the low sting supposed to be an F#?
I think I'll give is a try.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Check out Buddy Merrill of LW fame on youtube playing South
and using the tuning referred to above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcipRLz ... yY&index=2
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Joe Burke wrote:Thanks Jeff. Is the low sting supposed to be an F#?
I think I'll give is a try.
No, it's not a typo. Fender called it A6 Major & Minor tuning and the low string is an F.

Of course, there's no problem if you'd rather have straight A6. That low string could easily be tuned to E, F or F#. See what works best for you.
Steven Pearce

Post by Steven Pearce »

The main tuning I use is D, on my six string lap, a 22.5
After a LONG time finding the right gauges my low D is a 62.
That's a big string for the tuners, I make the nuts so that's ok.
But lower = bigger. Woah!
From high to low...
18p 22p 28 38 48 62.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

A6 major and minor. Makes sense. Could be fun!
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

Thanks Larry - I've seen that clip before, but had forgotten about the the 4th neck solo. Man he can play!
James Kerr

Post by James Kerr »

Music for the lower registers, how about this, built special just for that very thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsPQxc59ric

Or this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_gjP_mjGM

James.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

James, I really like your youtube videos. "Grapes of Wrath" has a very dystopian feel to it. Very nice!!! Your stuff would be great in movie soundtracks
James Kerr

Post by James Kerr »

Daniel McKee wrote:James, I really like your youtube videos. "Grapes of Wrath" has a very dystopian feel to it. Very nice!!! Your stuff would be great in movie soundtracks
Thank you Daniel, I'm just a backroom player who enjoys playing but as of late my channel has been a bit quiet. My eldest Son was struck down by a series of Strokes in September of last year and we are left with less than half a man. Such things knock the heart out of you and that has affected my output because, at least in my case, music comes from the heart. I have bought a new Guitar to try and encourage myself again (pictured) so hopefully I will get going again.

James.

Harry McIlwain

Post by Harry McIlwain »

Not trying to Hi-Jack this thread, but I wanted to express to James my sympathy to him for the tragedy
that hit his son. James is so very talented, humble, and helpful to others. Harry