Rickenbacker D8 console with new fretboards by George !

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Larry Lenhart

Rickenbacker D8 console with new fretboards by George !

Post by Larry Lenhart »

There is something about the sound that comes out of this steel that I just love ! You can feel the vibes thru the console, even without being plugged in. Very mellow and sweet to my ears...I have the top neck tuned to A6th and the bottom to C6th...the A6th is my favorite, but they both sound great. I was going to go with E13th on the bottom, but I just dont play that tuning that often. I play it thru a Roland Cube 30 and it seems to be a good match. I have other non pedal steels, but for now this is my "go to" steel...maybe a Clinesmith some day :)
Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 15 Aug 2017 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Nice! I know you were jonesin' for one of these. Looks like you found a nice one. Do you think that's original or been refinished? You mostly see them with the sort of reddish brown natural finish/stain.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

That's really stylish - do you know which years these were produced?
Mark
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Larry,
That is one sharp looking guitar! :D
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The same logo plates over the tuners were used on bakelites around 1950 & a bit later I believe. So I suspect that it's in that era...
Beautiful instrument, and the best part is that you like it !! :D
C. E. Jackson

Post by C. E. Jackson »

Beautiful steel, Larry.

C. E. :)
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Larry, ever thought about parting it out? KIDDING!
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Bill Groner

steel

Post by Bill Groner »

WOW, that is impressive. Love the look of that one! You don't even have to wind the strings all purdy......just cover em up! BEAUTIFUL :D
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Great looking steel guitar! I love the color. Rickenbacker designed this model to compete with the popular Fender Stringmaster in the 1950s. I'd say they hit it out of the park. It's more stylish and comfortable looking than the Stringmaster IMO.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Nice! :whoa:
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Thanks guys for all the nice comments about the steel. The gentleman I bought it from said it had been painted black when he got it...I am considering having it redone in a red that I have seen other Rickenbackers in this area.
I do really appreciate all the positive comments about this steel...I bought it from a gentleman here on the forum. It really does have a rich mellow tone to it, and thats the best part. I wouldnt even consider refinishing it except that it had already been painted before I got it.
Thanks again...this forum is best !!
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Rick Bernauer

Post by Rick Bernauer »

I think it would look great painted red. :)
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I like the black finish. I'd leave it that way unless it's a poor paint job.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

It would look good any colour. A real beauty!
Larry Lenhart

Re: steel

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Bill Groner wrote:WOW, that is impressive. Love the look of that one! You don't even have to wind the strings all purdy......just cover em up! BEAUTIFUL :D
That made me laugh ! I hadnt thought about that, but with the way I wind strings putting them on, thats another plus for this one !! I really like the looks of those tuner covers...sets off the steel.
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Nice Steel.
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Nice guitar, Larry.

I know this will sound sacrilegious to some, but in my opinion, Leo Fender never built a pickup that was in the same ballpark as any of the Ric horseshoe magnet units.

Nor has anyone else. Those folks at Electro String really had a winner the first time out of the box.
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

So simple in design........PERFECTION!
Four Pettingills and a Clinesmith Aluminum. Fender Blues Junior. Quilter Mini-101.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Elegant industrial design. Beautiful guitar. Congratulations, Larry.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Original blonde (these came with a brown finish too) vs. refinished black. Notice that the fretboards have been changed or painted over. So a full restoration would mean new fretboards too. I kinda like the guitar as it is.

Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

Very pretty - I would leave the color as it is, looks great, original or not...
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Black guitars sound better. :roll:
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Black guitars sound better.
Erv, that started as a joke here a few years ago, but some of our newer members believe it's true! :o
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Black guitars sound better if you play them while wearing black shoes also. :whoa:
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Interestingly, I did order new fretboards for the Ricky...I say "new" but they are off another Rickenbacker from that time frame...I was thinking of putting double tape on the "new" ones and leave these originals on...would that work out okay you think ? I am open to suggestions about that. You guys about have me convinced to leave the black as it is, original or not !