Steel players who play fiddle

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

W. Van Horn

Steel players who play fiddle

Post by W. Van Horn »

How many of our favorite steel players also play fiddle?
I've always been curious about how Paul Franklin's bio notes that he plays fiddle. He's credited with it on some records on allmusic. Can anyone point to a specific track with Paul on fiddle?
It seems that learning fiddle would be beneficial for one's steel playing. It has so many things in common with our instrument.
Of course, the first player I think of is Milo Deering, who is a freak of nature on just about any instrument.
It seems rare to find a utility musician who plays both steel -and- fiddle. Why?
Earnest Bovine

Re: Steel players who play fiddle

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Will Van Horn wrote: Why?
Because steel is easy and fiddle is hard.
Lyle Dent

Steel and fiddle

Post by Lyle Dent »

Will, the only things the pedal steels and fiddles have in common are strings. I can't think of two more distant techniques required!
Rittenberry Prestige SD-12,Mullen G2 SD-12 ,Mullen PRP S-12 BMI S-12 V8 octal, BJS Bars, LiveSteelStrings,Steelers Choice Seat.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

Earnest - I'm not sure if there's some humor in there, but taking you seriously I agree. It's much easier to get a "passable" steel guitar tone and vocabulary than fiddle. But why don't more utility guys who already have fiddle learn steel?

Another guy that come to my mind is Fats Kaplin.

Lyle - While I do agree that the general techniques are quite different, the instruments have a lot in common. Ability to play sustained tones, issues of intonation, similar expressive qualities, similar challenges to getting a "full" tone, etc.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

I play some fiddle, though not very well. I devoted a couple years to it before getting my first steel.

Unfortunately my fiddle was stolen out of my car a few years ago and I have yet to replace it :(

Didn't Buddy Emmons start out on the fiddle?
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I played fiddle before I ever started playing steel and as Lyle said, two completely different animals so to speak.
I think to be an accomplished fiddle player is harder than being an accomplished steel player, especially playing in a studio.
After I had been playing steel for less than six months, I was able to do a decent studio recording.
Been playing fiddle for 40 years and still hard to do. It has to be right on the money or sticks out like a sore thumb. And impossible if in flats or sharps for me and also may add F and E chord on faster stuff. But on other hand, I never practice fiddle anymore, just play when need arises.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
John Brock

Fiddl'in

Post by John Brock »

No player by any means,but I do like to ..try...fidlin.Ive alays found the best music to play along with was steel musc...works for me..just a thought
GFI S10 Nashville 400 Epiphone J200 Kentucky BM650 Mandolin Fender 112 Alvarez 5018 12
Rus-Ler Deluxe
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Bobby Flores kills on both.

My old roomate John Clark who has been with Moe Bandy for many years is excellent on both as well.

Years ago I made a serious effort to try to learn the fiddle. After running off the few friends I had in the world, I decided it wasn't in the cards for me :lol:

Seriously, it has to be the hardest instrument on the planet to play well.
Last edited by Tommy Detamore on 3 May 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

I do but I suck equally on both.
:)
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Don Herron played steel and fiddle with BR5-49.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

speaking of Milo Deering, check this out: Raisin' the Dickens
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Terry Sutton,Great on both.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

I think the session fiddle player you are referring to is Larry Franklin.
Bill Flores

steel players who play fiddle

Post by Bill Flores »

Larry Campbell...there are some videos on YouTube of a young Larry with Doug Sahm, in Scandinavia , he switches from fiddle to pedal steel on a couple songs...excellent playing on both instruments.
Tim Bennett

Post by Tim Bennett »

Not a country player, but David Lindley, Jackson Brown's slide player plays fiddle. I also recall from an interview I read that he said it was the hardest instrument he ever learned...And he's played most of them :whoa:

Raises an interesting question though, what are the most useful extra instruments for a steel player on the bandstand? Especially for those not playing straight ahead country, when steel doesn't fit the tune.

Guitar's the obvious one, although I always figured harmonica would be useful...
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

My dad was a well respected fiddler in the southeast so natually I gave it a good try. Scratch, scratch, scratch...

When I got a steel guitar, a family friend showed me basic proper left and right hand techniques, I got the Sho-Bud tab books (we're talking early 1970's) and pretty quickly I was making a pretty decent sound.

So, I agree with those here who have said, fiddle is harder!
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Henry is being modest. He is an excellent fiddle player. Plus an excellent steel guitar player. And a very nice Gentleman on top of that. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Yes, fiddle is harder than playing steel. I started out playing Texas hoedowns and made all the fiddle contest all over for many years. Some of the most fun times of my life were the fiddle contest. I always won something so made the trips worth while. In 1988 when I started playing steel, I just basically quit fiddle hoedown playing and focused more on country and back up. Can't hardly play any hoedowns all way thru anymore so don't go to contest any more. It's still hard for me in studio to get notes on the money with fiddle and can do a lot better with steel even though I haven't played steel as long.

Bobby Flores and Milo Deering are just awesome on both, well, all instruments. I've seen very few that are proficient on both instruments so I will say it's a hard combination steel and fiddle. See a lot of steel players that play great guitar and even banjo but fiddle is few and far between.
Henry Matthews

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Thanks J.R. For the nice compliment. We must have been typing at same time. :)
Henry Matthews

Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Three who come to mind are Carmen Acciaioli in Texas, Sandy Watson in upstate New York, and forumite Rick Campbell in Tennessee. Image
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Doug Stock and Bo Frazier play both. Bo is in Florida and Doug was somewhere around the Rocky Mts.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

I play banjo,guitar,and bass. Does that count?
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Don R Brown wrote:Three who come to mind are Carmen Acciaioli in Texas, Sandy Watson in upstate New York, and forumite Rick Campbell in Tennessee. Image
Don...thanks for mentioning me.

RC
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

Don R Brown wrote:Three who come to mind are Carmen Acciaioli in Texas, Sandy Watson in upstate New York, and forumite Rick Campbell in Tennessee. Image

Race
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Rick Campbell wrote:

RC
We had a great time that evening Rick, have not forgotten you. (I sure do forget a lot of OTHER stuff tho! :lol: )