finger travel distance / pitch

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Bragg

finger travel distance / pitch

Post by Mark Bragg »

I wonder if anyone has ever done up a chart for the distance a rod must travel in order to attain a certain pitch. Would it depend on string guage, etc? I've been kind of eyeballing it here, but it looks like it's a about 4mm for a half tone, regardless of the string.

I guess the reason knowing this stuff would be helpful is because I'd like to know if I've set up the change I want while the guitar is up on the table, without having to set it up to test it. I'm making a lot of adjustments underneath my maverick to get the knee levers and pedals feeling 'just right'. It's a lot of trial and error but it's paying off.

Thanks!

M. www.markbragg.com
Maverick 3pedal 4kl Image
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

String gauge is the only factor affecting travel length. If two or three pulls are on the same pedal or lever, all changing the pitch the same amount (e.g., all a half-step or all a whole step), the smallest gauge string will need the longest travel. However, you have to remember that wound strings have small gauge cores. It is the core that governs the travel length. So the first few wound strings will actually need more travel than the thickest few plain strings. Because of the different guages, there is no uniform travel distance across all the strings. However, for a given copedant, you could measure the travel distance for each change and write out a chart. The chart would always be the same, unless you change string gauges.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by David Doggett on 08 April 2005 at 08:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

On a six string if you bend the second and third string the same amount at the same time the second will go up a half step and the third a whole. Don't know if that helps with the question or not but it seems related to me.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

The pivot positions in the Finger assembly and the leverage point where you are pulling from and the point on the finger that you are pulling; make a difference in how far it takes to pull a certain gauge to a certain pitch.
This would differ from design to design.
Ricky