Headphone amp ideas?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Deane Cahoon

Headphone amp ideas?

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Hi, I'm looking to put together a headphone amp set-up for practicing on my steel. It could either be an all-in-one device or made up of separate pieces. I'd like an input for an MP3/cd/smartphone, input for the steel, reverb for the steel (I don't own a reverb stomp box at this point), mixer and headphone output.
I know there are many ways to go about this, just looking for advice from those who have already put one together and can give suggestions. Trying not to reinvent the wheel.
Also, suggestions for a decent set of headphones (I dont like buds).

Thanks!
MSA Classic D12 project, now an SD12, my 1st PSG. Hilton pedal.
1979 Carvin CM130 guitar (bought new with paper route money), Peavey Mace and Line 6 Spider amps.
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Deane, for -$25, these are good headphones...in my experience.

“TONESNOB”
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Line 6 Pod XT or X3. Multiple effects, headphone output, standard guitar input. Can run a standard USB printer cable to your computer and play along with iTunes or YouTube or whatever you like.

Have to find one used, no longer in production.

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/msg/6003867991.html
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

A Fender Mustang I or II would do the job.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

You could use a small mixer. I had a 4 channel Mackie. You can plug in an Mp3 player, or other sound sources, and your stee. You can control the mix of the sound sources. You can get small mixers for under $100, and even around $50.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Deane Cahoon

Post by Deane Cahoon »

LOL, I never even thought to look - my Line 6 Spider IV 75 amp has both a headphone jack and MP3 input on the back. Guess I'll try that first and see how it works although I haven't found a decent steel sound with that amp yet, worth a shot for practicing.

Now, back to the headphones, any other suggestions? I do like over- the -ear but also have had on-ear AKGs that I liked (I wore those out years ago and never got around to buying replacements. I think I wouldn't mind springing for a real nice set....$150 - 200 range even? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Last edited by Deane Cahoon on 12 Mar 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Carvin CM130 guitar (bought new with paper route money), Peavey Mace and Line 6 Spider amps.
Deane Cahoon

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Ken Pippus wrote:Line 6 Pod XT or X3. Multiple effects, headphone output, standard guitar input. Can run a standard USB printer cable to your computer and play along with iTunes or YouTube or whatever you like.

Have to find one used, no longer in production.

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/msg/6003867991.html
Thanks for your research, close to home even. That gave me an idea, see my reply above.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Deane, here's what I use

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=313316

It's made by W-audio.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

I've always had a weakness for Sennheiser headphones, which start OK and get better the more you spend.
James Phillips

Post by James Phillips »

I have the Korg Pandora. I don't they make 'em any more but it's great for practicing "in the field".
I use the Skull Candy ear buds. They are cheap ,sound decent, and very comfortable using them over long periods of time.
Visit my Studio: LimeStoneLabs at.. http://Facebook.com/LSlabs

"Let the Bridges We Burn Light the Way"
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Far from the most exhaustively thought-out system, this is just what fell together a few years ago:

1) Hardwire reverb pedal into...

2) a Crate Power Block amp;

3) old beloved Sennheiser 414 headphones (cable and ear pads replaced--well worth the cost); I used to use some schmancy AKG 240-something-or-others but the Sennheisers are more comfortable and are perhaps my favorite item of sound gear ever.

4) ipod I use only for steel practice--stays plugged in to the Crate. I just adjust the volume of the ipod against the steel--i.e., no mixer.
Tommy Boswell

practice amp

Post by Tommy Boswell »

I use stomp boxes and a mini-mixer, no amp required:

Joyo American pedal (for EQ, voice, drive)-->reverb pedal-->Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer-->your choice of headphones (I have Sennheiser)
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Ken Pippus wrote:I've always had a weakness for Sennheiser headphones
I forgot to mention those. I have a pair of HD455s which I have had for years. I assume they are a later version of the 414 as they have all the same virtues. They don't seem to make anything like them any more.

They give a full clear sound but I'm still in touch with my surroundings. I have some Beyer DT220s which isolate well and are good for tuning up on stage, but they're heavy to wear for long and I like to know if the doorbell rings.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs