Money's No Object: What would you buy?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

I have a 1992 Emmons all pull that you could not buy from me...just try.
And two LeGrande III's that I feel the same way about...But, if I was going to buy another steel, another LeGrande or LeGrande II or LeGrande III, and I would probably have a little change left over...know that these guitars will do far more than I will ever be able to do to get them up to speed, and I never have to worry about how they do or sound...just need to concentrate on what I do.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

No question in my mind. I'd get a trashed D11 ZB and pay whatever Paul Franklin Sr. wanted to put one of his mechanisms in it. Barring that, I'd see if I could persuade Paul to build me another wood D10 Franklin, this time with natural curly maple.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

A Franklin for sure. I had an early 80s D-10, it sounded unbelievable, and the pedal action was incredible. It was like a Maserati is to cars, IMO. It seemed to be built small (the guy I got it from was quite short) and I'm almost 6'5". I tried liftkits, etc., but I just could never get to the levers correctly. It really needed refurbishing (rode hard for 15-20 years and put away wet, so to speak), so I traded it. What a bonehead move, I didn't know any better. But I'd like to get one built for me. I think I'm moving to S-12 universal E9/B6, I like the layout on my Sierra 14 universal. Don't know if that's possible on a Franklin. All I know is, that's one of the, if not THE finest sounding steels I've ever heard.
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

I would buy the same CarterD-10 and Nashville 112 amps. I guess I'd stick the other 3 grand in the bank.

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I would buy a new Franklin D10. As a matter of fact I just did buy one. Its black mica with Jim Pitman pickups on it. I've been dragging it to gigs all over the USA, Ireland and the UK for the last few months and it is playing and sounding like a dream.

------------------

Bob
intonation help

Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

From each brand one.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

MUSICO

Post by MUSICO »

I've said it before and a year later I still seriously believe it.

The best way to sound better is to play better.

I would keep my same steel and spend the money on a flight out to the USA for intensive lessons with Reece Anderson.

¿How long would 6 grand get me Reece?

Jeremy Williams
Barcelona Spain
Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

I THINK A RAINS OR MABE A ZUM
I HAVE PLAYED EMMONS FOR 20 + YEARS
I WOULD GO WITH A ANOTHER BRAND JUST FOR A CHANGE
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

I would keep the beautiful sounding/looking S12 Carter that John built for me in '96, and give the money to someone who didn't already own a Carter.
John Cox

Post by John Cox »

I'd buy a LE Carter with the coolest finish possible. J.C.
Mike Meese

Post by Mike Meese »

<small><sub>I would keep the beautiful sounding/looking S12 Carter that John built for me in '96, and give the money to someone who didn't already own a Carter.</sub></small>

I'll take the money David. I don't own a Carter, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Emmons LeGrande 111, built to my specs! Maybe in a lacquer finish.
Garth Highsmith

Post by Garth Highsmith »

.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Garth Highsmith on 09 January 2006 at 08:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

I'd buy the same thing I've got. I am very happy with this D-10 black Mullen. I would experiment with amps and maybe try a Pod xt and one of Brad's black boxes. Always looking for a better tone.
Chick Donner

Post by Chick Donner »

Probably a 12-11 Zum, with 10 & 5 or 6.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

A Hybrid Zum D10 --- and as much cash as it would take to build a Lacquer Natch wood job.
OR, a Carter Lacquer LE model with a nice Sunburst finish and a Sausage quilt maple front apron !
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

" . . . I would send my LDG out to Mr. Marrs for a makeover and keep it under glass."
[Of course, it would have to be a mighty big glass so I could still fit under it and play the LDG!]"

Thanks, Bryan, for the lead-in. Idea: let's help each other build the glasses . . . and lift a glass or two as we go!

LDG<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Cann on 15 March 2005 at 03:15 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Cann on 15 March 2005 at 03:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Mantey

Post by Mike Mantey »

Mullen all the way!
Sonny Miller

Post by Sonny Miller »

I would take a Williams SD 10, lacquer, And put the rest of the money in the bank!
basilh

Post by basilh »

I don't know...Money IS no object, and with that in mind, I contacted most of the top companies listed in the forum's links, asking for a custom built guitar..
A big "Too busy with "Standard production models" was the general reply, along with some straight "NO not interested"..
It's a good job that Ron Bennett is a Friend..
Basil
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Well, looks like the Promat is the winner for me, unbelievable guitar!!!!!!!! Better than a Emmons P-P tone with Zum quality and playability. Unbelieveable.
Bobbe <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 23 March 2005 at 07:00 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 27 March 2005 at 08:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

I would get me one of those eary 64/65 Emmons PP like Herb Steiner,Jim Losseberg, and Dickey Overbey. Then a 1950's GIbson L-5 Archtop Jazzbox, and then a Franklin D10 made to the same specifications/design as PF.

After that it would be hard to say ..I have most everything I want gear wise that satisfys me:

Carter D10 8/9
Webb 6-14E
65 Fender Twin
Nashville 400
PODxt
Hilton Pedal
Peterson VS II Tuner
Steelers Choice seat w/ back & power
USA Fender Tele B Bender
Washburn JS-6 Archtop (L 5)

I am thankful for that and should just be happy with that!
Pat Burns

Post by Pat Burns »

...well, since money's no object...

A new Promat
A new Zum hybrid
A new Franklin
The Blade
Emmons Original number 001
All of the wraparounds and bolt-ons in existence including Jay Ganz's menagerie, so if you want one, you have to see me about it
A new house in Malibu for the Promat
A new house on Martha's Vineyard for the Zum...
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I was in just that position a couple years ago when I was in the chips.It boiled down to an Anapeg or an Excel fully loaded single-wide keyless 12 string. I chose the Excel because 1.I didn't want to wait 2.The Excel was a lot lighter,easier to work on and has some wonderful mechanical innovations 3.I would have been afraid to take something of such museum/heirloom quality as the Anapeg out of the house and 4.Frankly the Excel sounded better to my ears. I ended up spending a lot less than $6K on a black mica 8+9 TT equiped Excel and am still extremely happy with my choice. Other than that,I've got two cherry Stringmasters,an 8-string Rick lap and more guitars,mandolins and dobros than my wife knows about........what's to want? -MJ-
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Lessons!