Stuck Fine Tuner

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy Frantz

Stuck Fine Tuner

Post by Andy Frantz »

Hi all. I got my first pedal steel a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying it. I'm so good at it now that I can sometimes tell when things are out of tune. :) However, one of my fine tuners won't budge. I can feel the plastic twisting, but it's not moving the rod. I don't want to torque it any more for fear of breaking it. Are there any tricks to getting a stuck fine-tuner unstuck?
Steels: Hudson 8-string pedal steel, Gibson D8 console
Kevin Fix

Tuner

Post by Kevin Fix »

If it was a Sho Bud I would loosen a pull rod at the bell crank to allow more play at the changer.
Randy Schneider

Post by Randy Schneider »

If you're talking about the nylon tuning nut, it could be cracked and just spinning on the rod, in which case it needs to be replaced.
Andy Frantz

Post by Andy Frantz »

Yeah, I'm talking about the nylon nut. I don't think it is cracked because I have to put a lot of torque on it to get it to "move," but it is just the nylon twisting a little (it twists back to the original position when I release pressure), not the threads on the rod. I'm afraid if I keep going, it will crack.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It's stuck and you're just twisting the pull-rod, because the nylon nut itself wouldn't "return" to position. Using a Q-tip, lubricate the rod where it goes into the nylon nut with some rubbing alcohol and try again - it should break loose. (It may help to hold the rod under the guitar with a pair of pliers while your trying to loosen the nylon nut.)
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Like Donny said, snap a vice grip on the pull rod and twist on the nylon nut until it either breaks loose or cracks.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

The nylon nuts are smoothbore when made. It's possible you're cutting the threads in the nit for the first time. Give it more oomph.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Andy Frantz

Post by Andy Frantz »

I took some clues from the advice given here and was able to get it loose. I pushed the knee lever the opposite way (not sure if that had anything to do with it) and gave it a good twist.

Thanks for all the help! It's great that this forum exists.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

The nylon tuner is NOT supposed to move the rod--it's supposed to allow the rod to move a certain distance when you actuate the change.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Andy, There is 3 different inside hole sizes for these nylon tuners, for 3/32", 7/64" and 1/8" pull rods. Be sure the size is proper they actually thread themselves as they are screwed on the rod. If you are 2nd owner of this axe that may be part of the problem, a smaller hole tuner on a larger pull rod can make them tight to tune. Be sure to get a few spares and carry them in your seat or tool box. So if one strips or splits. You can do a quick replacement. Welcome to the Forum, Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have drilled out the center of nylon tuners to fit the larger pull rods, when necessary.