E9 5th string problem

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Zachary Moulton

E9 5th string problem

Post by Zachary Moulton »

Hey, y'all! My 5th string changes are out of whack. A and C pedal changes are flat, and when I tune em, the open string goes sharp. Haven't had any issues with this Super Pro, til now. I adjusted the stop screws to give me more pull. Seemed to help, but the problem is still there. Also, the c pedal change is slightly less flat than the C pedal. I'm on tour, haven't had a good chance to work on it. Don't know how it got out, so bad. Any help would be appreciated...
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

Might try tightening your string 5 'lower' return spring..or check it to see if it came loose or broke ? Watch the changer, activate the raise, and be SURE the lower doesn't follow it out. If that's not it, activate the raise and manually pull it and see if it comes out more, in which event, some lube might be in order. Good luck! :)
Zachary Moulton

Thanks, Dave! I'll check it out! I talked to Ricky Davis a bit, too.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

It's also overtuned. Back the nuts off a good 5-10 turns (or until they have no effect) and start over.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Dave Meis

Post by Dave Meis »

You might check for a string end that got caught in the mechanism..have you broken a 5th string lately? :) Seems string 5 is the one I break on my 'Buds.
Zachary Moulton

I didn't see anything in there, as far as string ends go. I do love, how they drop directly into the changer, when I do break one... I'm about to dig into this thing. I'll let y'all know what happens.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Make sure the bellcranks are tight on the shaft.
Zachary Moulton

The E raise (c pedal) bell crank was loose, and had slid over and was butting up against a bracket. Now that I think of it, that change had gone out a while back. But, I somehow got it in tune, until now. Or maybe I was still out, but close enough, for my ears. I always blame the bad intonation, on the guitar players... haha