StroboFlip or StroboPlus HD?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Hay Joosten

StroboFlip or StroboPlus HD?

Post by Hay Joosten »

Hi Forumites,

Looking for some advise on my pending tuner upgrade. I have a Boss TU-12, but looking to get a Peterson. I see both the StroboFlip and the StroboPlus HD in use... is there any big advantages to either one of them? Any reason not to get either one of them? Anything else I should be aware of?

All help would be appreciated!!

Hay Joosten
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I personally like the StroboFlip.
It is small, compact and when you close the lid, the screen is protected.
I believe both have the same tuning values installed.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

I agree with Bill 100%. I've used the StroboFlip for years.
One of my students has a StroboPlus and I don't care for it.
I don't know why, but he spends 10 minutes tuning his steel
and I fully tune mine in about 1 minute. Never a problem. :D
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Hay, the flip is older model no longer in production, believe the suppliers for the chips in them stopped production.The plus is newest model, and incidently cheaper than the flip was, have had both and prefer the older flip for reasons Bill mentioned, but both are excellent as is the customer service provided by Peterson and Their tech rep Sue Haslam in particular.
Last edited by Malcolm McMaster on 10 Feb 2017 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Sorry double post
Last edited by Malcolm McMaster on 10 Feb 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Strobo Plus is better if you want to keep it inline as you play. Flip will degrade the sound.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have the Strobo Plus HD and really like it. :D
I keep it in line also.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

They're both great , and everything said above is true. I can't see why it could take any longer to tune with the HD. Likely "pilot error." You can buy the HD new, and you can't the flip.

The leg mount for the flip was free and worked great. The one for the HD costs you $40 and sucks.

The HD uses a rechargeable built in battery which holds a charge forever. The flip used AA's, or a wall wart that could make the needle bounce a bit, in my experience.
Last edited by Ken Pippus on 11 Feb 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Sexton

Flip or HD

Post by Dick Sexton »

I own both, Flip for the travel, HD for home and practice. The clam shell design for throwing in your pac-a-seat is hard to beat. Sorry to hear they are out of production.
Randy Owens

Post by Randy Owens »

I use a battle scarred Flip that was purchased here on the forum and it works like a charm. It's connected via the tuner jack in my Stage One pedal. The geek in my would like to try the HD but really, this is as accurate and easy as it gets for me.
2003 Mullen Royal Precision, Walker Stereo Steel, Ampeg G-15, Telonics FP-100
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

And yes, the service from Peterson is outstanding.
Hay Joosten

Post by Hay Joosten »

Ken Pippus wrote:They're both great , and everything said above is true. I can't see why it could take any longer to tune with the HD. Likely "pilot error." You can buy the HD new, and you can't the flip.

The leg mount for the flip was free and worked great. The one for the HD costs you $40 and sucks.

The HD uses a rechargeable built in battery which holds a charge forever. The flip used AAA's, or a wall wart that could make the needle bounce a bit, in my experience.
Thank you everyone for the advise!

Ken, you say the adaptor throws off the tuning accuracy? 😳 Or just the initial needle response? Thanks!
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

I quit using the wall wart because I was getting what I would guess was 60 Hz vibration on the display. I don't think it would necessarily have affected tuning accuracy, but being a little obsessive, it bugged me.

I have both tuners, and they both function just fine.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I also don't care for the HD leg mount but I bought a little leg mounted shelf off the Forum some time back and I've placed the tuner on that. Works great! :D
Thomas Kowalchuk

Strobo plus HD

Post by Thomas Kowalchuk »

I have the Strobo Plus HD, and I will address two thing that haven't really been discussed in this thread:
  • the online interface you get with that unit and
    the multi purpose function of the unit.
When I connect mine with via USB to my computer and log into the Peterson site, I can customize the tunings that are stored in my tuner. I can add, delete ones I don't need, and download tunings posted by other peterson users.

Also needs to be said that I use it for steel, but also guitar, banjo (as if it is possible to truly tune a banjo...) mandolin, resonator guitar and more. I have multiple guitar tunings stored on there as well. These are all "sweetened" tunings, so they are quite specific. And if you have created your own particular tuning, you too can upload it to the website and share it with others.

The Peterson site has tunings for everything from bagpipes to lute to sitar - you name it. So you can access them if you want to and put them on your tuner. Or not.

The unit is great if you do your own setup on any instrument as well.

So really, this is a multi-purpose unit. If all you are doing is tuning your PSG in one particular tuning, then this unit is probably overkill - but it is crazy accurate, so that alone may be enough reason to get it if you are in search of that perfectly sweetened tuning.

Me, I'm glad I bought it. Whether or not it is right for you really depends on the extent of your needs.

That's my two cents...
Image[/img]
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

The fact you recharge the battery like a cellphone is another plus - even plug it into the cigarette lighter socket in your car and charge it on the way to the gig :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.