Who's playing in Austin from 3/1/17 to 3/5/17?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Barlow

Who's playing in Austin from 3/1/17 to 3/5/17?

Post by Joseph Barlow »

Will be in Austin on these dates and looking for steel guitar in and around town. Herb Steiner or Bob Hoffner are y'all playing anywhere? I am going to see Dale Watson and Ray Benson in Luckenbach on Friday night but l am looking for other places to go while I am there. I would like to catch up with Nathan Flemming if anybody knows what he's up too. Also Ricky Davis would be at the top of my list to find while there. Thanks for any help you can give as I want to make the most of my time there because I don't get to Austin very often.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Sorry Joseph; we are a hour north in Temple, Tx. at Bo's Barn friday night....that's the only gig I'm playing during your dates.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

There's an off-chance... a very off-chance... that I might be at the Broken Spoke with Alvin Crow one of those nights. But I usually don't know until Alvin calls me about 1 in the afternoon to ask if I'm available. ;)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Joseph Barlow

Post by Joseph Barlow »

Thanks Ricky and Herb for getting back to me. It would just be my luck to be there when y'all aren't. If you have any suggestions of other players or bands I might want to check out let me know.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

On the 1st I'm playing The North Door at 8:00 with the organic orchestra. It's pretty wild with about 30 musicians improvising under the command of Adam Roudolph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFkRyOfSEE

On the 3rd Im out at Hondo's in Fredericksburg with a great country band. Aaron McDonnel and the neon eagles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLOQDlwbWg

Players you want to look out for in town that haven't been mentioned are Geoff Queen, James Shelton, Simon Page, Danny Hawk....there are a bunch of guys out there.

One of the problems is that austin bar gigs pay about a 3rd of what out of town or event type gigs pay.

Get in touch closer to the time you are around and we will find you something fun with a steel player.
Bob
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Nathan Fleming, who is excellent, will probably be with somebody somewhere, usually at the White Horse or the Spoke.

Also, look for The Duquaines with Dr. Jon Jaffe on steel, and perhaps Scott Walls with Cornell Hurd Band somewhere. You'd have to look at each band's website for the info.

Pianist T. Bonta frequently has James Shelton play. He is excellent as well.

The Broken Spoke March calendar isn't up yet on their website.

For uber-retro non-pedal, Anthony Locke plays with several bands with 20s-30s repertoire, all bands led by drummer Dave Bedrich it seems.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Joseph Barlow

Post by Joseph Barlow »

Thanks guys for all the good leads (pun intended). I can't wait to be in a town with all those monster players. It's going to be fun if I can find them.
Joseph Barlow

Post by Joseph Barlow »

TTT. I'm here in Austin and looking for some steel guitar. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. Thanks Joe
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

If you like country music go to the broken spoke Saturday and see Dale Watson. I'll look around and post what I come up with.
Bob
Greg Stasny

Post by Greg Stasny »

Just up the road (I-35) in Belton is the Texas Western Swing Showcase https://www.texaswesternswingshowcase.com/