My New Old Msa

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Henry

My New Old Msa

Post by Brian Henry »

I got an old msa $500,and junked the plywood, bought a piece of curly maple $50, had a friend make me a cabinet for $50, added an aluminum neck $130, added a Bill Lawrence pu $110, covered the cabinet with red drum sparkle $70, had all the aluminum hardware highly polished $100, had Reese's daughter hand paint an MSA fretboard $80, bought aluminum legs $80, bought a new decal $20, got new fingers from Bud Carter $65, Total cost $1255 for what I consider the finest guitar in the world with killer tone. MSA mechanics are awesome. These mechanics are 30 years old but still brand new. I have had an ldg, sierra, gfi, but none compare in looks, sound or ease of playing as this to this new old MSA CLASSIC!! By the way it is 10 string 3 = 4. Someone has alreadt tried it out and offered me $2,500 but it is not for sale. It is my personal favorite. Am I just a little biased?

Cool. I'm looking into building my own pedal steel. I have a keyless 25
Per Berner

Post by Per Berner »

Congratulations! This sounds like a thing of beauty. Can we all have a look at it? If you need help posting pictures, just mail them to me!
--------------------------
Emmons Legrande II D10 8+5, Sho-Bud Pro III Custom SD10 4+5, Goodrich 120, Peavey Nashville 1000
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Let me get this straight here-you bought a curly maple body and covered it with red sparkle drum plastic?????
Can you post a picture of this please.

Is the changer now triple raise/lower?
Charles Walker

Post by Charles Walker »

You can never go wrong with an MSA. Just my opinion.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Per I will try and get some pictures up. My digital camera is an old sony. But I'll try.

Bill! Yes, I wanted a great sound, hence the curly maple. However, I don't care for the look of curly maple, but I just love that red sparkle for looks. I am not conservative and have seen too many pedal steels that look like my kitchen cabinets. I dont like wood finishes asnd especially browns. Just my liking. Red drum sparkle is durable an awesome looking. Even Carter Pedal Steels give this as an option. Brian

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Those MSA's were real workhorses, no doubt about that, but the new MSA Millenium is another great guitar for the 21st century , will probably last a lifetime and a lot easier on your back......al Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

To each his own. I just find covering up one of the most endearing of wood species sort of interesting, then again I have seen several old Sho Buds built of beautiful figured maple and then covered in black.

Glad you like the old MSA.
Bill Llewellyn

Post by Bill Llewellyn »

I'm waiting for pictures, too!!

------------------
<font size=1>Bill, steelin' since '99 | Steel page | My music | Steelers' birthdays | Over 50?</font>
rpetersen

Post by rpetersen »

Another Fake??<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by rpetersen on 22 December 2004 at 06:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Very nice work of art there! Just don't label it "MSA LTD."
Dave

------------------
'74 MSA D-10 8&4, Nashville 1000, Nashville 112

Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your compliments. I really like my MSA Classic. It is much nicer in real life. Those pictures could have been better. That red sparkle is so beautiful and quite easy to put on. I used a hair dryer to soften up the old glue and the old mica came off quite easily.

I got the aluminum neck from Daniel Cormier of Cajun Steel Guitar in Lake Charles Louisana. It was around $130. It really is a beautiful neck. The only thing that gave me trouble was trying to fit the center
support that goes in the middle of the changer. With more patience I could have put it in. If you look at the picture you will see that in the end I just left it off and it is fine. I put 2 screws in the hole to
fill them up.

You would have to buy machine screws to secure the neck to the cabinet as the wood neck uses wood screws. I had to drill 2 extra holes in the cabinet to attach
the neck to the cabinet. The aluminum neck already had the extra holes drilled and threaded. I hope this helps you as you start your project.

Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

David.

Unlimited would be a better descriptor. An MSA is not limited. It will give you an unlimited amount of service and pleasure. tbh :-)
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

No RPETERSON not another fake. It's the real thing!!
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Wade,
If you check out these pictures you will see the metal neck I installed.
Sidney Malone

Post by Sidney Malone »

Beautiful guitar!!! Great Job!! I can see why it's your favorite!

Now if MSA combines the Classic with the new features of the Millennium...wouldn't that be awesome!! We'll know before long Image

------------------
MSA Millennium S-12U
Fessy S-12U
Walker Stereo Steel, Hilton Pedal

Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

i downloaded the pictures and used photo software to brighten them , ..mister all i can say is you did a beautiful job. looks as pretty as any i have ever seen
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi Calvin, Can you post the pictures. regards, Brian
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

i would be happy to, but i don't know how to upload them here on the forum
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Hey it's a BOLT ON!!
How does your tuning hold up (themperature changes)?
... J-D.
Bob Nelson

Post by Bob Nelson »

Hey Peterson, don't insult the guitar, the neck was made here in Iowa. I designed and initiated the idea and it was built by a friend who at this time is making MSA parts for me.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Hi Bob,

Great design and great neck. It is a perfect fit. Yes! it is a bolt on neck. Are not all necks bolted on??? Tuning is fine. I play nearly every day and fine tune it once a week.
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Bill,

I intend to restore another one. Next time I wiil not use drum sparkle. I will dye it blue and have it nitrolacquered. Regards, Brian
Ivan Combs

Post by Ivan Combs »

i would like to see pictures of your msa steel i am a owner of a msa universal twelve.

thanks ivan combs

------------------