Emmons Push-Pull Tech in up-state S.C.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

J.C. Norris

Post by J.C. Norris »

Is there a repuditable Emmons push-pull tech in up-state S.C. ? Would like to find someone in driving distance( I'm close to Sylva N.C. & Walhalla S.C.) that knows push-pulls just to go over mine a give it a good check up & touch up anything that needs it. Charlie Ward of Fletcher, N.C. took care of all my guitars for years, but unfortunately my friend passed away a few years ago. Any interest would be greatly appreciated. J.C. Norris Email: steelman0648@aol.com.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Sylva is quite a hike for anyone in NC .

If you are closer to Sylva and 40 East, you could consider jumping on 40 East to Greensboro and see forum member Doug Palmer. It would be well worth the day trip.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
J.C. Norris

Closer to Sylva

Post by J.C. Norris »

Thanks a bunch Tony. I'm about 22 miles southeast of Sylva.
Never been to Goldsboro, but sure willing to see this guy. If you have a phone# or email I would be very grateful. Thanks again my friend, J.C. Norris
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

JC, I'm about 30 mins southeast of Walhalla. Ron Lashley SR,taught me to tune the changers and adjust the pull train at ripe old age of 12. So I think I can muddle through it. I'm not looking for work. Only offering to help if you can't find someone closer.

Bobby
Gary Dillard

Post by Gary Dillard »

I would think Lynn Netherton in Asheville can handle it, if he wants to. He is picky about that stuff and you sort of have to catch him on a weekend. He works at an auto body shop during the week. I could check if you wanted to.
Tony Prior

Re: Closer to Sylva

Post by Tony Prior »

J.C. Norris wrote:Thanks a bunch Tony. I'm about 22 miles southeast of Sylva.
Never been to Goldsboro, but sure willing to see this guy. If you have a phone# or email I would be very grateful. Thanks again my friend, J.C. Norris

Greensboro, not Goldsboro !

Bobby Boggs would be the one I would call where you live. I didn't realize he was accepting Steel "chores"...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ollin Landers

Post by Ollin Landers »

When I was living in Asheville I bought my first real guitar from Charlie Ward. It was an Emmons S-10.

I spent many a Saturday afternoon at Charlie's house. I often wondered what may have happened to him.

I'm very sad to hear of his passing.

There are several forum members here that are from the Greenville Spartanburg area. I'm sure one of them knows someone close to you.
Zum SD-12 Black, Zum SD-12 Burly Elm Several B-Bender Tele's and a lot of other gear I can't play.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Ray Thomas

Information

Post by Ray Thomas »

JC, your email wouldnt go for me, call me at 919-920-5482 or email me at rthomas17@nc.rr.com I can put you in touch with someone you wont regret
Ray Thomas
Livesteel Strings Dealer
Call 919-920-5482
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
J.C. Norris

Gary Dillard

Post by J.C. Norris »

Thank you Gary. I talked to Lynn before the holidays and we greed to wait til they were over, but he don't return my calls. I'm certain he can handle it, but I just don't believe he has any interest in doing it. He was the very first one I contacted. And I would certainly do it on his schedule, but I guess not. Thanks a bunch Gary. J.C. Norris
Gary Dillard

Post by Gary Dillard »

JC, the same happened with me. I left messages on his cell and he never returned them. I looked on the internet and got his home phone...long story short, he is NOT a big cell phone user, PLUS his cell phone doesn't pick up very good at his house. I contacted him about a few changes and we agreed to call him back after Christmas, ended up being last week getting a few changes done. haha I talk to him about once a week now, very very nice guy. SO...just because he doesn't call you back doesn't mean much...he just does thing on his own time frame. Let me know. Exactly where do you live? Brevard?
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Ollin Landers wrote:When I was living in Asheville I bought my first real guitar from Charlie Ward. It was an Emmons S-10.

I spent many a Saturday afternoon at Charlie's house. I often wondered what may have happened to him.

I'm very sad to hear of his passing.

There are several forum members here that are from the Greenville Spartanburg area. I'm sure one of them knows someone close to you.
Bobby Boggs is the MAN to handle any Push Pull issues. Also, Billy Knowles in Kenansville NC is a good resource.

Charlie Ward....that name brings up a flood of memories. He and I took a trip to Nashville back in 1986ish. Saw Bobbe Seymoure at the Cannery. He knew everyone and everyone knew him. Miss him for sure.

I was passing by his house one day and stopped in after he had the heart attack. Split a load of wood for him and eased on back into SC. I pass by Arden at least once or twice a month and each time, I think about the man!! Loved an Emmons Guitar better than anything.

Last edited by Charley Hill on 29 Jan 2017 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bill Plemmons

Post by Bill Plemmons »

If my push pull needed some TLC and Bobby Boggs would do it, that's where I would take it. You couldn't go wrong with Lynn Netherton either.

Charlie Ward was a good friend of many years. Bought my push pull and a Webb amp from him in 1978. He air shipped the guitar to me in Omaha. After I moved back to this part of the country in 2002 he would call at least weekly just to talk about steel guitars. I spent many Sat. & Sun afternoons helping him set up and adjust guitars he had worked on. Really miss him. Bill
J.C. Norris

Post by J.C. Norris »

Please close. Taken Care of. Many Thanks, J.C. Norris