Sample of BIAB RealBand With Some Real Tracks

Q&A about PGMusic's popular accompaniment software

Moderator: David Collins

Greg Cutshaw

Sample of BIAB RealBand With Some Real Tracks

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

This is my first shot at running BIAB RealBand. I entered a short sequence of chords then had RealBand create a backing track with a 2 bar ending using a built in style. The created backing track contained drums, bass, 2 guitars and a fiddle. I then added a track with acoustic piano, again having RealBand create it using a filter to select just "rhythm" piano styles as opposed to "solo" styles.

All the tracks were then ported over to Reaper as individual wav files and ported to my Zoom R24. I added a lead guitar track and 2 steel guitar tracks (2nd steel track was just the added harmonics) using real instruments and copied those tracks back to Reaper. The whole smash was mastered in Reaper as a rhythm and a whole song track as heard below.

Sounds like a lot but I spent about 4 hours on BIAB including learning RealBand and about 2 hours making the real tracks and then mixing it all via Reaper and uploading the mp3 files to my web site.

It's pretty simple to do a song with part real instrument tracks and part BIAB tracks! In fact you can have BIAB create an entire song length RealTrack of an instrument and then just cut and paste pieces of that track into your final mix.

In summary, you are hearing real steel and lead guitar and BIAB generated drums, piano, backing guitars, bass and fiddle.

Hear All Tracks

Hear Rhythm Track
Jim Smerk

Post by Jim Smerk »

Sounding good Greg! Wait until you get into the Pushes & Holds, learning that will make the backing tracks and solos have a lot more "real feel"!

Did you have any problem reg the program with PG Music?8)
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I got it registered with no issues whatsoever.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

To use pushes and holds in my RealBand sample it seems I'd have to add midi drum parts to the RealTracks in RealBand. I don't see any push or hold function for the RealTracks.
Jim Smerk

Post by Jim Smerk »

Thanks for the info! What a great deal on that version.

For holds & stops you use ...

for pushes you use ^ and ^^

Here is A very cool page with some great info.

A video of using the pushes are here.

And a video on rests, holds, and shots. Notice the steel player....:D

These videos are older, but still apply to out 2017 version.

Hope this helps! 8)
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I was able to load my EZKeys and EZDrummer into RealBand as Vsti's. I can't use the EZ midi generators but I can use them as sound generators.

It seems much easier just to add blank tracks to a RealBand song for drums, piano and bass to do the song stops, jumps, end on beat 7 etc and just mute the other tracks where needed. Or just do all the mods in Reaper.

I often need a song to end on beat 7 instead of 5 (or as BIAB calls it, beat 1 of the next 4 neat measure). I also need precise pushes and pulls, sometimes triplet timing down to 1/32 or 1/96 timing. You see this sort of timing in country and western swing songs all the time. In fact if you view the EZDrummer generated patterns, the individual drums and entire patterns do this precisely to mimic sounds heard on commercial recordings. But one could do that on midi drum, bass and piano tracks in RealBand using the piano roll midi editor. Lots of options!
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Here's the demo with the free Ambience Reverb plugin added to the fiddle part to make it more matched to the other lead tracks. This gives a much more fair representation of how good the RealTracks instruments can sound like!

Hear the demo with stereo reverb on the fiddle part