26 inch long scale Stringmasters - your thoughts?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Justin Lee

Post by Justin Lee »

Good to know about the case. This one doesn't come with legs but it's good to know they fit if I get the guitar and opt to purchase the legs. I'm more interested in whether it's a solid player than I am if it's not 100% stock.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Hmmmm...from what I can discern about you and the music you play , personally I don't think this is the guitar for you.
Think you might be farther ahead getting a single 6 lap steel , and hanging it around your neck like Cousin Jody did on the Opry.
Justin Lee

Post by Justin Lee »

Your intuition is uncanny, as I've wondered the same. I've owned a dual professional, and although it was a fine instrument, it required an investment of time and space to set up for gigs in which my primary role was rhythm guitar with occasional features on slide tunes. A single neck lap steel does seem like a more pragmatic choice.

There's an original mid-50's Fender Champ in my area that looks interesting, though I'd love to find a single neck 8 string.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Fender Champ is nice guitar , might be harder to get bluesy sound from a Champ compared to a Supro or National with a string through pickup.
Justin Lee

Post by Justin Lee »

Hmm, there's a Goldtone 8-string in my area with a case for $550 that looks like it might fit the bill, and they seem to get good reviews on here. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'm thinking I'm going to pass on the D8-SM.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Goldtone is good bang for the buck, both 6 string and 8 string. :D