Prospective Colleges

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jonah Turner

Prospective Colleges

Post by Jonah Turner »

Do you guys have any advice on where I should focus my college search? Right now I've been looking at Middle Tennessee State in Mulfreesboro, about 30 minutes south of Nashville, but I assume there's other areas of the country with a lot of opportunities for steel guitar too. I'm especially looking for colleges near teachers for private lessons and with at least a small opportunity to play in bands, country or jazz. I'm taking a bus trip to Nashville in April for my high school show choir and was planning to visit MTSU and probably Vanderbilt, but it would be nice to try to visit a few others before my senior year.

And if somehow there's a university with a faculty member who plays steel guitar I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks!
-Jonah
Carter D-10 9&8
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Jonah, forum member, Dave Mudgett is a college professor, steel player, who hails from Pennsylvania, I believe. Maybe he'll chime in with some helpful insight for you.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

I believe that ETSU has very cool music program!

h
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I know that Belmont University in Nashville used to support steel guitar as a major. Perhaps it still does...
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

I've hear great things about each of the above mentioned. I really enjoyed and learned a lot from my experience at South Plains in Levelland, Texas. Commercial music program geared at people working after school. You take live and studio sound experience, as well as a minimum of one video class. It's the middle of nowhere, I grant you, but the instructors have been there and done what you want to do, and the program sure helped me out a lot. Good luck wherever you decide to go!
MSA Legend XL, Quilter Amps, Peterson Tuners.
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

The steel instructor at SPC is Steve Williams. There are 3 players in the program now I believe. Also, some great players around that area I learned from.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

I still teach software engineering at Penn State, and I play steel, guitar and other stuff - technically retiring in June, but may continue to teach some. I'll be split between here and Nashville at various times, we have a place down there. I think there are several important questions:

1. What do you want to study and what area are you thinking about for a career. Not necessarily the same, but might be.

2. How do music & steel guitar fit into issue #1? If you're thinking music-oriented education, that's typically very different from, let's say, engineering or science with music as a side-show.

3. What kind of school do you want, and think you can get into and afford? For example, in-state vs. out-of-state public schools vs. private schools; career school vs. "liberal education" school; there are big differences at a lot of levels among these (focus, tuition, admission, financial aid, etc.)

IMO, if you can get into and somehow afford a particular school, it's a buyer's market for college education. So be picky if you can.

For example, if I knew I wanted to do music for a career and wanted to major in that, I'd first focus on how aligned a music dept or school was to what I wanted. If I wanted a career in country music and didn't want to just woodshed and try to break in, I'd no doubt think about Belmont in Nashville. I almost went to Vanderbilt for my doctorate, good place if you're looking for a strong 'regular' academic program mixed with proximity to Nashvegas. Don't know that much about MTSU academically, but it's certainly close to NV. Jazz, I'd probably be thinking Berklee in Boston or perhaps University of North Texas, great jazz programs. There are many others, but those two come to mind.

For other non-music study near serious music scenes - University of Texas has choices in Austin, San Antonio, and Arlington, plenty of country and other music there. Plenty big music scene in Athens Georgia where University of Georgia is. Lots of cities have good universities and pretty vibrant music scenes - Boston, NYC, DC, Seattle, Portland, SF, others. Not sure how much pedal steel you'll find up in the northeast here. Out here in Central PA (as James Carville says, Pennsylvania is Philly, Pittsburgh, and Mississippi in the middle) there are steel players and country music, but not a ton of us. You can study pretty much anything you want at the big places like Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, and so on, but you could do the same at Nebraska and pay in-state tuition.

My take - I've been around universities most of my life - feel free to ask more specific questions if you like.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Christopher Woitach is a music professor at Western Oregon U. in guitar, and an excellent pedal steel player, but very focused on jazz. Worth taking a look, and touching bases with him - he's a member here.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Jonah Turner

Post by Jonah Turner »

Wow, thanks guys! There are a bunch of colleges on the list I never would have thought of, like SPC and South Plains. I will definitely be contacting some and laying out my options further.

I don't exactly know what kind of college I'll be able to afford, as I haven't taken the ACT in quite a few years. I do have a good chance of getting a National Merit scholarship next fall though, and that will help a lot by itself, depending on the college.

Thanks a ton for your help!

-Jonah
Carter D-10 9&8
Walter Killam

Post by Walter Killam »

Being a survivor of UNT, I can say they have a GREAT jazz program. I can think of 2 pedal steel players that made it out with Jazz studies degrees. The political situation there is a nightmare, the Profs & staff are constantly sniping at each other trying to get ahead (Publish or Perish).

That said, a lot of great players go there & take classes until they can find a gig with a road band, and come back to finish up later. (this can cycle several times)

If your goal is to hit the road UNT is a good start. You can get a good education there, but you MUST be very self motivated.

If your goal is to become an educator or something else (not road warrior), I'd think about Miami, or Berklee.

As a former Teaching Fellow, Adjunct instructor, and Student, I offer the following advice:

It may be worth taking a year off to establish residency in the state of your preferred school, most schools will defer admission dates if you are accepted, it never hurts to ask.

Get to the Financial Aid office early, treat it like a job. Be professional and courteous, apply for EVERY grant that you remotely qualify for (if you land in Texas, find out if the TEPG grant is still in play). Take out loans as a last resort.

GO TO CLASS EVERY DAY NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL (I can't stress how important this is)

Sit in the front row

Take good notes, and try to get to know your teachers personally, they can give you guidance on how to navigate their courses successfully.

I went through UNT, got 2 degrees, and walked out $800 in debt, which I paid off the day after graduation. I managed this by living cheap, working hard, & taking every grant I could find.
Mostly junque with a few knick-knacks that I really can't do without!
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Jonah, please friend on FB...Mick
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

I would look hard at MTSU or Belmont. A lot of successful music biz people have emerged from these two colleges. There is no shortage of great steel players in this area. (I wish I was one of them!) Nashville is a boomtown right now.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Jonah,

PM Jonathan Cullifer. He is an excellent late 20's year old steel player Engineer/IT type in Nashville who plays part time. He went to MTSU. He may give you some pointers.

Best of luck!
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
William Polka

Post by William Polka »

Daughter went to MTSU on an athletic scholarship. Back in 2012 half the campus was brand new and seemed they were working their way over to the older half of it cuz there was construction going on all over.
She started in the audio engineering program but didn't stay with it...but from what I saw the facilities were really nice.
Faculty and staff were all very nice and very helpful.
Cody Angel

Post by Cody Angel »

SPC and South Plains are the same, haha! It's a very affordable junior college with a great program. Shoot a pm or a Facebook message and I'd love to tell you more. Scholarships are available and I'd be happy to help how I can and put you in touch with people. Best of luck brother! A good act score and demo video would go a long way there!
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

I would evaluate your career goals very carefully before attending any college these days. Many of the degrees are totally worthless and will never pay for themselves. Yes, there are careers that require a 4 year degree but many don't. It's your money, but I would evaluate very carefully before signing up for anything as you don't appear to have specific long term goals.

Robert
Floyd Lowery

Post by Floyd Lowery »

Robert Parent wrote:I would evaluate your career goals very carefully before attending any college these days. Many of the degrees are totally worthless and will never pay for themselves. Yes, there are careers that require a 4 year degree but many don't. It's your money, but I would evaluate very carefully before signing up for anything as you don't appear to have specific long term goals.

This is very good advice !!
Carter 12 string 4petals 5knees, Mullen G2 3 petals 4 knees
Alesis QuadraVerb, Goodrich Match-Bro II
Peavy Nashville 400 & Session 500
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Cody Angel wrote:SPC and South Plains are the same, haha! It's a very affordable junior college with a great program. Shoot a pm or a Facebook message and I'd love to tell you more. Scholarships are available and I'd be happy to help how I can and put you in touch with people. Best of luck brother! A good act score and demo video would go a long way there!
I was going to suggest SPC, but Cody beat me to it.
From what I have observed, SPC is a very fertile learning ground for cranking out very talented singers, songwriters, multi-instrument musicians that go directly into the working world, playing and touring with top artists....especially the Texas/Red Dirt scene.
I tour with Cody's SPC roommate (I believe that's right)......serious, young talent