How do I manually tune the strings of a lap steel to C6

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael Foley

How do I manually tune the strings of a lap steel to C6

Post by Michael Foley »

I have my guitar set up to be a lap steel.
It is a Fender Squier Strat with a nut extender, I raised the bridge too.
Now trying to get it tuned to C6: C E G A C E.
I was able to find a tone of middle C for the 2nd string so that's in tune, but as for the other 5 strings... well I'm a bit lost and do not know how to get them tuned using my 2nd string as a reference point. It should be possible. Will someone please tell me how? Or give me a link to a video showing how?
Note: It is left handed.
Note: I have a tuner app on my Iphone- that has been fun as I try to guess which pitch is the one I should choose to match... if that makes sense.
Note: the blue tape is so the extender won't scratch the Rosewood.
Last edited by Michael Foley on 8 Oct 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Green

Post by Steve Green »

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but first you must have the proper gauge strings for C6 tuning. A standard set of guitar strings won't work. Proper gauge strings are available here on the Forum.

Once you have the proper strings, it's just a matter of tuning them to pitch.

Instead of tuning like a standard guitar (Low to High)
E - A - D - G - B - E

You would tune (again Low to High)
C - E - G - A - C - E
b0b

Post by b0b »

Are you left handed, or are the photos reversed? Typically the thinnest/highest string (E) is the furthest from your body.

You can tune it by harmonics. To sound a harmonic, touch the string at the harmonic point with a finger of your left hand and pick it with your right hand.

Tune the 12th fret harmonic of the 6th string C to your 2nd string C open (middle C). Verify it by comparing the 5th fret harmonic of the 6th string with the 12th fret harmonic on the 2nd string.

Tune the 12th fret harmonic of the 4th string G to the 7th fret harmonic of the 6th string. Verify it by comparing the 5th fret harmonic of string 6 with the 12th fret harmonic of string 2.

This next one is tricky. There's a harmonic point about an 8th of an inch below the 4th fret. It sounds a very high E note on the C string.

Tune the 5th fret harmonic of the 5th string E to that 4th fret harmonic on the 6th string. Play the 5th and 6th strings together. They should sound like sweet harmony.

Tune the 1st string E open to the 12th fret harmonic of the 5th string. Verify it by comparing the 5th fret harmonic of the 5th string E with the 12th fret harmonic of of the 1st string E.

Tune the 7th fret harmonic of the 3rd string A to the 5th fret harmonic of the 5th string. Verify it by comparing the 7th fret harmonic of the 3rd string with the 12th fret harmonic of the 1st string.

That's how I tune. 8)
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
George Piburn

Intonate the Instrument 1st

Post by George Piburn »

Before Following the Above instructions you will want to get the instrument in tune as a Steel Guitar.

To do this you must do the Harmonic "Chime at the 12th Fret" .

Adjust each saddle piece to make the Chime happen directly over the 12th Fret.

Typically they would be straight across to play like a Steel Guitar.

All of that Graduated alignment is to compensate for how hard a player presses down on a string against a Fret.

A Steel Does not go all they way down to a fret,
so we use the Bar to make micro adjustments in pressure downward and other adjustments to get multiple notes more in tune.

Your next step would be to purchase a Neck From Loni Spector in Los Angeles - loose the standard Strat Neck.

He also makes Big Bad Round Bridges that hook on to the plate in place of the Saddles.

Of Course , steel players will correctly suggest you simply purchase a Steel Guitar.