Thinking of just using 8 strings on C6 neck?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Trent Harris

Thinking of just using 8 strings on C6 neck?

Post by Trent Harris »

Thinking of setting up back C6 neck with just top 8 strings and using it as a non pedal neck. Any reason this wouldn't work as far as the changer or tension goes?
Sho Bud Super Pro
Nashville 400
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Wouldn't change a thing. Return springs still hold lowering scissor against the stop bar, string tension still holds raise scissor to the stop bar.
There's no difference to the changer between having no changes and having them and not using them.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Trent Harris

Post by Trent Harris »

thanks lane
Sho Bud Super Pro
Nashville 400
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

The bottom two fingers will go cattywampus, but straighten out the next time you put strings on them.
I forgot to mention that bit.
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

Why not leave all 10 strings and use as non-pedal. I play 12 string universal and started just using (90%) non-pedal,,over the years I gradually started working in pedals as I learned them,,,still play a huge amount of swing and single note as non-pedal. Those other 2 strings will come in handy,,,also good for experimenting. They don't add much weight,,so,,,why take them off?
Russell Adkins

Post by Russell Adkins »

Why not just leave it as a 10 string pedal and just forget you got pedals right now , just use 8 strings if you like as a non pedal ?
Ernie Pollock

Hum??

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I have a homemade 10 string steel that I always tune to B6th, Its a blast to play without pedals, I did add a couple of knee levers to it, but its great fun with or without the levers. I used to always play a 12 string universal E9th/B6th, when I had a 12 string. But B6th or C6th with the same tuning as the pedal steel C6th can do some great licks. I love putting my brain to the test by playing it. I would recommend that you leave the C6th tuning as it is, although I do like the 'D' instead of the high G on the tuning. Its a challenge everytime I sit down at it. 'The Preacher', Steel Gtr Rag, & tons of others that you can play without any pedals.
Tune er up & git er rollin!!

Ernie Pollock :wink:
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

I took the low C off of my C6 neck, because it sounded like mud. And, I never use the low F, so I basically play my C6 neck with the top 8 strings. Although I do use the pedals sparingly.
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

If I ever go back to pedal steel (probably won't for the weight) I would have a pedal E9 neck and a non pedal or knee C6.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'd use the middle 8, because that's how I tune my lap steel.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Leave the ten strings on it, because the string spacing is already there. Put the G# on top, retune the 9th string to E. Or leave the F and get some nice chords on it. You DO NOT have to use pedals on the C 6th as it is. Practice bar slants.

Turn off all your effects and just play it as we did in the 'olden' days of western swing.

Thanx,
Jim
Trent Harris

Post by Trent Harris »

thanks for all the responses. now just gotta find the time to learn to play this thing!! what a great instrument and great forum here with helpful folks. looking for a C6 chord chart or grips, also how do you do minors?
Sho Bud Super Pro
Nashville 400
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

C6th is Am7. You can also use a "corner slant", dropping the C strings to B, and C becomes Em
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

Dear Trent - You're lucky to have a double neck !! Just leave c6th neck it as it is and adjust the tuning only a little bit as follows: top to bottom G - E - C - A - G - E - C - A (bottom two F - C). Mike Mantey has a great illustration on his Aug 26 Mullen RP for Sale post that shows how the traditional 8 string tuning looks on a 10 string pedaled neck (Steels for Sale Section). You basically already have it there in front of you, just pick the first 8 strings. I wouldn't disconnect any pedals. As soon as you have to do a slant you'll wish you had a pedal to bend the string instead.
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.