Quilter Steelaire vs. Peavey Nashville

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Drew Switzer

Quilter Steelaire vs. Peavey Nashville

Post by Drew Switzer »

In the market for an amp for my pedal steel. What are your thoughts on the Quilter? From the demo video I saw on youtube the thing sounds like a beast! Then again...it seems like the classic go to is the Peavey Nashville...what are your thoughts?
Pat Moore

Q vs N

Post by Pat Moore »

Hey Drew,
It depends on your back and pocketbook. I have both, and they're both great amps. The Peavey is heavier, but the Quilter is about 4 times more expensive. The Quilter does have some nice extra features.
If you use a rack, and can use a 15" BW or JBL with the Quilter, IMHO that's the best of both worlds. I'm using my Quilter Steelaire these days, but Peavey was my go to amp for many years.
I would also say try both of them first.
Good luck in your search!
Pat
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Going back to the 80's I've owned no less than 7 Nashville 400's and for the last 2 years a Quilter Steelaire.

Here's what I notice between the two.

Peavey has more input gain and low end response with some high end harshness/Shrillness. Mid's can be kinda hollow but manageable. Tank reverb which isn't too cool if your bandmates hop up and down on stage a lot.It's heavy at 58lbs.

Quilter's input gain requires a little more gas on the volume pedal.Low end isn't thundering but adequate in my opinion.High end is bright but not harsh. Mid's have an openness more like a tube amp.

The power amp can handle just about any external speaker you might want to use. It has a 9v stomp box output and direct out. Tremelo.Dual channel inputs if you play guitar and steel. Digital reverb with dwell and tone control. The amp weighs 35 pounds which makes it very easy to get in and out of a vehicle. It has a Kevlar cover which will protect it from random gunfire at whatever venue you might be working.

FWIW-I've gotten more unsolicited compliments with the Quilter than I ever got with the Peavey.

To sum it up,the Quilter has more of a tube amp quality than the Peavey's somewhat compressed transister sound if that makes sense.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

Which one has more noise??
Emmons & Peavey
Pat Moore

Post by Pat Moore »

Depends on who's playing through it! :lol:
Both are quiet.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

The only noise coming out of mine is me. I've seen some comments about noise issues and I don't notice any more noise than the Peavey amps I've owned.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Chuck Blake

Post by Chuck Blake »

I own two of the rack mount model Steelaires....sold my Walker Stereo Steel (great amp but the rack got heavy), Nashville 400 (my back and my wife hated it's tone...lol), my Roland Cube 80xl's. I keep a G&K MB 200 around for that "just in case moment" when I need an amp that will fit in the back of a speaker cab "for grab and go". I am done with chasing TONE...

My Quilter Steelaires check all of the boxes for me :D

Just MTCW
2010 Rains 3x5 SD10, 2006 Rains 3x5 SD10 Powered by Quilter Tone Block 202 and 15' and 12' Custom Speaker cabs
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

I sold my Quilter Steelaire and went back to the Nashville 400 for the enhanced gain and bottom end. My favorite amps remain the Nashville 400, Webb 6-14-E, Fender Steel King and the Walker Stereo Steel (a wall of sound). Can't argue with those wanting a lighter solution! Besides the Quilter there are a ton of class D amp solutions that will get you great tone for well under $1000.

My Quilter Steelaire Pro amp review
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:I sold my Quilter Steelaire and went back to the Nashville 400 for the enhanced gain and bottom end. My favorite amps remain the Nashville 400, Webb 6-14-E, Fender Steel King and the Walker Stereo Steel (a wall of sound). Can't argue with those wanting a lighter solution! Besides the Quilter there are a ton of class D amp solutions that will get you great tone for well under $1000.
My Quilter Steelaire Pro amp review
Is your Nashville 400 stock/Fox mod/or PV modded??
Emmons & Peavey
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

My Nashville 400 has the Peavey factory mod.
Gary Sill

Drew, keep in mind the new Peavey Session 115 is coming

Post by Gary Sill »

I have played it at Dallas and it was superb. I liked it so much I decided to try to become a Peavey dealer. I have some of them ordered and on the first production they will be sending me some amps. Made in the USA.

Call and I will give you my opinion as I have played and owned most of the new amps.

Gary Sill
Sill Music Supply

217-433-7455

www.sillmusicsupply.com
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, Gibson 5 string 2002 banjo, 1953 D8 Fender Stringmaster, reconditioned completely, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter Steelaire, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman mandolin
Steven Paris

Post by Steven Paris »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:My Nashville 400 has the Peavey factory mod.
That would be the mod that upgrades the coupling capacitors, increases the input impedance to 1 Meg, and replaces the 4558 opamps with 2604s. It would be even quieter with OPA2134s, and another few db yet with OPA1642s. I am thinking that the only things that would make the Quilter so noisy is either the use of carbon comp resistors, poor choice of opamps, or inadequate gain structure. Sure wish Pat Quilter would chime in on this. Maybe just a bad run of parts?
Emmons & Peavey
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Get a Dr. Z Surgical Steel, and be happy!
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Mike Brown

Nashville 112 amplifier

Post by Mike Brown »

A good choice and has everything that you need, ie; headphone out that mutes speaker for rehearsing, 80 watts, great sounding 12" Blue Marvel speaker, spring reverb, XLR direct out for routing to console, and more.
Jani Peter Sandvik

Re: Nashville 112 amplifier

Post by Jani Peter Sandvik »

Mike Brown wrote:A good choice and has everything that you need, ie; headphone out that mutes speaker for rehearsing, 80 watts, great sounding 12" Blue Marvel speaker, spring reverb, XLR direct out for routing to console, and more.
Speaking about blue marvel speaker. that speaker has something that most others dont. and it has the bite on the tone just when you pick the string.

im planning to get two blue marvels for my stereosteel rig. aint that close friends with the 12" black widows.