Learning frets for Cajun Music

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jason Bergeron

Learning frets for Cajun Music

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Can anyone give me some tips on learning fret positions? I know for Cajun music, my positions mostly go from 2-4, 5-7 and sometimes 9. When I started out about a year ago, the guy that got me started had me mark the frets, so I'd like to start getting off that crutch. I know just like everything else, this will take practice, but I was curious if anyone had any tips. I do realize they have designs along the board, but right now, that's not helping me much LOL!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sho~Bud Super Pro, Peavey Nashville 400
©Jason Bergeron
Mike Cascio

a little help

Post by Mike Cascio »

Hey Jason I'm mike in Beaumont a newbe also .a little longer than you but newbe non the less. One thing that helped me was learning scales.ascending or desending they will get you to your next chord.Mickey Adams has lots of lessons on you tube.great teacher.every time I listen to him I learn something.think of your guitar as a guitar. Open strings is basic e bar chord .fifth fret is the 4 chord of scale like playing bar chord ,seventh fret is your 5 chord and so on.do some searches on you tube theres lots there. Also I don't remember his name but theres a player that explainers the steel as it relates to guitar .opened up a lot for me and made it easer to understand.but again scales are your best frend in my opinion.hope this helps .maybe one day we can meet Beaumont ain't that far .
Emmons s10 pp Blanton d10 custom Nashville 112 nashville 400
Jason Bergeron

Re: a little help

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Mike Cascio wrote:Hey Jason I'm mike in Beaumont a newbe also .a little longer than you but newbe non the less. One thing that helped me was learning scales.ascending or desending they will get you to your next chord.Mickey Adams has lots of lessons on you tube.great teacher.every time I listen to him I learn something.think of your guitar as a guitar. Open strings is basic e bar chord .fifth fret is the 4 chord of scale like playing bar chord ,seventh fret is your 5 chord and so on.do some searches on you tube theres lots there. Also I don't remember his name but theres a player that explainers the steel as it relates to guitar .opened up a lot for me and made it easer to understand.but again scales are your best frend in my opinion.hope this helps .maybe one day we can meet Beaumont ain't that far .

I'll give it a wack. I don't know much at all about music and can only play by ear....I'm not accomplished by any means LOL I don't know much at all on my E9th, since I'm using a G tuning on my back neck for Cajun music. I know a few scales for E9th, but none for G. That tuning is much more simple than E9th by far! If I ever get good enough to start playing a few gigs, we might just run into eachother one day! Thanks so much for the tip!
©Jason Bergeron
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Don't sell yourself short, Jason......playing by ear is a skill some people envy. Learning music theory not only would help, but because of your available skill, you would understand it easier and more fully than someone who was just starting from scratch in learning an instument.
Is Cajon only played on G tuning? If not, then try out on the E9 neck, also.

...............Pat
Jason Bergeron

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Pat Chong wrote:Don't sell yourself short, Jason......playing by ear is a skill some people envy. Learning music theory not only would help, but because of your available skill, you would understand it easier and more fully than someone who was just starting from scratch in learning an instument.
Is Cajon only played on G tuning? If not, then try out on the E9 neck, also.

...............Pat
It can be played on E9th. My deceased father played mostly waltzs on it. Two steps and some waltzs are played in G. It's more difficult on the E9th because of the various pedal set ups and there are no video lessons for that style of music that I know of. G is a much easier tuning to play. The progressions are much more different for the E9th. That's why for now, I stay off of my E9th neck....
©Jason Bergeron