Fender Frontman 212R Amplifier

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Ullevig

Fender Frontman 212R Amplifier

Post by Mike Ullevig »

Does anybody have an opinion about the Fender Frontman 212R amp? I'm new to the Steele world and I'm looking for an amp that I can use in my studio as well as gig around with. Thanks for you help.[/b]
Michael Dulin

frontman amp

Post by Michael Dulin »

I use a 25R as a practice amp. I like it for the simple set up, headphone and CD input capability. As far as tone it is quite trebley and with the stock speaker harsh except at low volume. I improved the tone with a ragin' Cajun speaker but still would not use it playing out of the practice area. I would expect the 212 to have similar circuitry. You have to increase mid range and bass quite a bit to make it tolerable[IMO]. My thinking is most would find this amp not that great sounding for good steel tone. That is of course my experience and someone else may have a different one...I would expect the 212 to be similar but do it at a higher volume. For what it's worth...MD
Mike Ullevig

Fender frontman 212R

Post by Mike Ullevig »

Thanks Michael. I really appreciate your input.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

I agree with Michael.I have a FM212 and they have very little bass response. I like mine for its cheapness and portability, but I don't recommend them to other people. They need a lot of TLC.

Here is everything I know about the amp:
(Probably way more than anybody wants to know...)

The stock reverb pan is tiny and sounds terrible. I put in the old pan from my Nashville 1000 and it sounds much better.

I measured the 3dB rolloff at about 80 Hz in both the preamp and power amp. Not really worth trying to modify. This will cut through a mix well for 6 string, but they don't have a warm steel sound.

It works fine as a practice amp (it's actually 90W versus the advertised 100W) but not so much for playing out. The circuit is similar to the old Deluxe 90 and Deluxe 112SE.

They also seem to be prone to bad solder joints and a strange failure in the muting circuit that causes hum when you unplug the guitar cable from the amp, so you can get them cheap if you like to tinker. Mine had both issues.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Mike Ullevig

Fender 112r amp

Post by Mike Ullevig »

Thanks Paul I appreciate the input. I've changed my mind about the 112R. What would you recommend in the way of an amp for my steel. I'll want to use it in my studio to practice with and still be able to use it on small to medium gig venues. I want something at a reasonable price and then upgrade later. Thanks for your input. Mike
Butch Mullen

Post by Butch Mullen »

Roland Cube 80
Mike Ullevig

Post by Mike Ullevig »

Thanks Roland, I'll take a look at it.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

I came to steel late in life and played bass before. I had no idea what amp to buy for steel My first amp was Laney Keyboard combo for which I paid about $70 used. It's ok and with 80 watts, loud enough. The Reverb is not so good.

Then I met an old guy selling a lifetime of gear. He had a Frontman 212 and a Deluxe Reverb. I went there to get the Frontman and came away with the Deluxe which, being a tube amp, had a nicer tone and is more gutsy. A friend of mine bought the Frontman for guitar and he's really happy with it.

Both amps have a typical Fender tone which IMO means lots of treble. When I tested both, I had the bass control on max and treble on 0. With the Deluxe Reverb I roll off the tone control to halfway when I'm not soloing. Both amps are very loud!

I played a gig recently where the house amp was a Peavey Classic 30. The stage was dark and I couldn't see the controls so I just plugged and played and it was impresive. I joined a blues session a couple of weeks back (playing steel) and a Fender Blues Junior was free, sounded great.

But here's the thing: I have a 1956 Rickenbacker with horseshoe pickups, which has a nice tone through anything! Take your guitar and try several amps

Btw; A buddy plays pedal steel, acoustic guitar and a fat bodied jazz guitar through a Roland Cube 80. All sound great. If I hadn't bought the Fender, I think I'd go for the Roland too.

\ paul
Michael Dulin

212r

Post by Michael Dulin »

You can't hardly go wrong with a Nashville 112. If you are looking to be thrifty there are many other used amps floating around that do well. Earlier Peavey amps like a Bandit 65 or Special 130 come to mind...not exactly steel amps but they can do pretty well. There are other brands out there. Just stay away from the low end solid state types like the 212R. Like I mentioned I use a Fender 25R on my bench for practice[headphones, low volume at home in the bedroom] but I wouldn't want to use anywhere else. MD
Mike Ullevig

Fender 112R?

Post by Mike Ullevig »

Thanks Butch, Paul, and Michael for all of the great info. This really helps alot. I have a good idea of which direction to go now. I sure like the Steel Guitar Forum seem to be a great bunch of people here. Thanks again everybody. Mike
Stephen Williams

Post by Stephen Williams »

I would look into a Fender Rumble Bass amp. They have a 100 watt 12" spkr model and 200 watt amp with 15" spkr. They are LIGHT as can be. I can't vouch for tone but I will be checking these out. Lots of clean power and 22lbs for 110 watts and 34.5 lbs for 200 watts
Mike Ullevig

Fender112R

Post by Mike Ullevig »

Sounds interesting Stephen. Thanks for the input. Mike