Magnatone lapsteel and amp...cool

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Randy Reeves

Magnatone lapsteel and amp...cool

Post by Randy Reeves »

I believe this is a Magnatone. Curious to learn the year and value.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Most of those student model MOTS guitar/amp combos seem to sell in the $300 - $500 range on ebay. Somebody got a pretty good deal for $300 on this one, possibly because the seller didn't show the amp in the first picture:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dickerson-Magna ... 7675.l2557

The one you picture looks like it's in really good shape. Unusual to see the grill cloth graphics in such nice condition. Have you played it? Looking to acquire it?
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

This is mine. I have played it and it sounds fine. I need to part with this, unfortunately. Thanks for the feedback.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

The amp alone is worth about $400 to $500. Early 1950s, very clean. The amp would appeal to guitarists and recording studios, as well as lap steel players. As Bill said, the grill cloth graphics are in excellent condition. Most of them on this model are badly faded or torn. If the inside of the amp is as clean, all original, and works, it's a winner. The lap steel looks clean too. If I were selling the lap steel separately I'd ask about $350. For the Set... I would ask $750.00. It won't sell right away as a set. They would sell faster if listed separately IMO.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

Doug. thank you for the keen insight. Satisfying to know that good design has staying power.
Frank James Pracher

Post by Frank James Pracher »

Definitely agree that you would probably get the best price by breaking up the set, but I think $300 would probably be the highest you would get for the steel... and that might be stretching it. I've got 6 or 7 of that style Magnatone and I don't think I've ever paid more that $275. I picked up most for around $200..
"Don't be mad honey, but I bought another one"
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

It feels counter intuitive to break up a set. However, I completely understand. I need to go for the highest dollar; it's hard living on a fixed income.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

I know if I was a collector looking for a MOTS set, I'd want yours. Displays beautifully and I'll bet it sounds great. Maybe try selling them as a set first and only break them up if you have to. Doug has bought and sold a lot more steels than I have but I'm kinda with Frank on the going prices for the guitar by itself. I'd have to agree with Doug's assessment of the amp though. That palm tree adds a lot of value to someone who wants it as a show piece. Good luck!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

My estimate on the lap steel may have been a little high because I was quoting the 2016 VGM price guide for MOTS Magnatone lap steels. The guide lists the amplifier at up to $600, as I remember, based on condition. I too would try to sell the set first and if it doesn't sell break it up. Problem is... the buyers who want either the amp only or the lap steel only do not want to pay a premium price for both together. There are probably collectors out there who would like to have the set and keep them together, but those buyers are few and far between.