Trio + Band Creator

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ted Barnhouse II

Trio + Band Creator

Post by Ted Barnhouse II »

Not sure if this is in the right place so sorry if I'm wrong. I was looking at the Trio + Band Creator to day in a Springfield, MO music store. It looks promising. Any body here seen this? Any comments or thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

What exactly is a Trio+Band Creator? What music store in Springfield?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Keith,
There are some demonstrations on You Tube, but in a nutshell, you strum through a song and the Trio+ will then add drums and bass.
Dave Dube

Post by Dave Dube »

Actually, the trio does what Erv said. Now the trio plus does that plus adds a looper and storage so you can set up songs, and even record parts then sequence parts and save to a storage location so you can recall it later and play along with it.

So trio plus can be a bass and drums (you can turn either of them off I believe) and even a rhythm guitar or other instrument if you like and you can train them to play a set list on command. it has expandable memory too.

The biggest complaint I have heard about trio is that some people do not like the sound of the bass. It is "band in a box" bass and drums.
Ted Barnhouse II

Keith it was Springfield Music. I went to look at the Beat Buddy didn't really like so he showed me the Trio + Band thingy. Sounded a lot better to me than the beat buddy thingy. Sorry to be so technical. I looked at the Trio thingy when it came out but I didn't like the fact that you couldn't save songs. So I guess a bunch of others didn't like it either so they worked on it. Lot's better now. I was just curious if any of ya'all had tried it yet.
Dave Dube

Post by Dave Dube »

I see that trio+ has a free firmware update as of April 12 for improved song management. You might want to have that already on the unit you buy.

If you can't try one out right away you might be interested to look at the manual:

http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_docume ... iginal.pdf
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

The original was best used as a tool for practice. I bought one just as they came on the market. I set up a rig to practice over chord progressions. Guitar into Trio. From there I sent the guitar signal into a Line 6 Pod and the bass / drums out into a channel on my mixing board. The Pod then went into another channel. With the effects on the mixer, the drums and bass could be mixed with the guitar and sound perfect. I can play at night and not bother anyone by using headphones. For steel, I play the progression into the Trio with a guitar and then switch to steel. I usually zone in on the bass anyway when I play steel, so this feel pretty normal to me.
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Ted Barnhouse II

Rick and Dave thank you I'll look into that.......love this forum.you all are the best
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

Also, to add to my above post: Only play chords on the 1-2-3-4 of a 4/4 time, or 1-2-3 of a 3/4 or 6/8. Do that, even if you leave out stuff. don't play single notes that lead into the next chord or any fancy thing...just very very basic chords. The bass and drums will be WAY better at interpreting the structure, and you can then scroll through the multitude of styles and patterns to find the best fit. THEN, change the style to help your ability to play over other timing and feel choices. I love my Trio!
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Rick, any chance you could post a sample here for us to hear? Sounds interesting!