The world's greatest steel guitar repairman?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Perlowin

The world's greatest steel guitar repairman?

Post by Mike Perlowin »

TOM BRADSHAW.

I just got my steel back after Tom worked his magic on it, and it plays as good, of not better, than it did when it was brand new.

I know there are a lot of good repairmen out there, but as far as I'm concerned, Tom is the very best. I don't think anybody else even comes close.

Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Image!
Opinions,,,,everybody is entitled to at least one.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

Mike Archer

Post by Mike Archer »

as far as i know on emmons steels
BRYAN ADDAMS you da man!!
he sets all my guitars up and when i get them back they play better than new ones
but there are many that are great too!!
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

For me Tommy Cass is "The Man" check out"Blondie" and "Red" On Ricky`s House of wood site..........they don`t come no better!! and Tommy I still think I mugged you for`em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Image
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I like Dr. Bowman's work. Mike, nice to see you posting again. What has been happening in your world of steel guitar. Jody.
Marc Friedland

Post by Marc Friedland »

I agree with you Mike P. Tom Bradshaw is a great guy and a great steel guitar repairman.
-- Marc www.marcfriedland.com
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Jody, I've been working on my next CD. This one is going to be my most ambitious project yet. One of the pieces required 90 tracks at one point. I hope the results will be worth all the time and effort it is taking.

Getting back to the subject, one of the bell cranks on my steel cracked, and I foolishly attempted to replace it myself, and managed to totally screw up the entire undercarriage.

But Dr. Tom came through and did a better-than-excellent job of not just repairing the broken part and undoing the mayhem I caused, but restoring the whole guitar to like new condition.

I do not have the words to recommend him highly enough. Saying 2 thumbs up as high as they can go doesn't even begin to express what a great job he did, or what a great job he always does on every guitar that he works on.
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

I would have to go with Jerry Fessenden, be it push pull or all pull, but to ask Jerry he says the late Dick Miller was the master.
Dyke Corson

Post by Dyke Corson »

The main man for my guitars is Mike Cass. He has worked wonders on my push pulls and did a real nice job on my wife's Sho-bud too! Image
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Tom saw my post and was embarrassed. He said he isn't as good as I claim; he just gets lucky sometimes.

I think he's just being modest.

He further said that Bobby Bowman, Mike Cass, Jerry Fessenden, Bryan Addams, Tommy Cass, and surely anyone else Forum members might recommend, have to be excellent repairmen or they wouldn't be mentioned and highly praised.

I'm really hard on my steels. If I had something less durable than an MSA I'd probably run them into the ground and need to replace them every year or two. I'm lucky and grateful to have Tom available to bail me out when I get into trouble, and I appreciate him more than I can say.

However, I'm certain there are many others who also do fine work and I hope everybody realizes that I didn't intend to minimize their skills and accomplishments.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

What Jody Sanders said!

John Buffington
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Mike,Keep me posted on your current project. Jody.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

A second for Tommy Cass,
and Tommy says Jerry Fessenden is great too.
Richard Cooper

Post by Richard Cooper »

Duane Marrs
Nashville
stingray

Post by stingray »

I vote for Dr Bowman......There again there are a lot of good ones ...but my vote goes to the Dr. and he is in !

------------------
Gary L.Converse
(teach a kid how to play steel) KEEP PICKING!

John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

Bud Carter and Charles Reece along with most any of the builders

------------------
John Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars

www.steelguitar.com
www.steelguitarinfo.com
www.carterstarter.com
Mike Taylor

Post by Mike Taylor »

When it comes to resurrecting old Sho Buds, Ricky Davis is at the top of the heap. He did a great job on my Pro II custom!! In addition, he's always prowling the Forum providing expert advice.

Mike Taylor
Sho Bud Pro II Custom / Professional
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

I would think it would be awful hard to point a finger and say anyone is the greatest. I believe there may be things that one knows that the others don't I really don't think there is anyone who knows every thing there is to know. I think it would be far better to say there are some great repair men and maybe some better then others but I would not want to put any names on and hurt any feelings you may need one someday and it could be one of the name's you pointed to Have a great New Year.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I would just like to say a big thank you to all of the people who make and/or repair steel guitars.They will never get rich doing it,it is a labor of love and thank God they are around to help us when we need them.No names,I wish to all of them Marry Christmas and very successful Happy New Year.

Db

------------------
"Promat"
~when tone matters~

Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I agree with Bill. My thoughts are that unless you have seen or experienced the work of an individual, how can you compare or say that another is better than that one? There are many very knowledgeable guys scattered around that can "get er done". I appreciate all of them as well as I appreciate all the fine builders. No one is getting rich building or working on pedal steel guitars and we all do it because we love the instrument.
Jerry