New string problem?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Thomas Kemper

New string problem?

Post by Thomas Kemper »

Just starting out with the lap steel, changed my strings. Was doing fine with the old strings, but I've noticed with these new strings, I get a real clang-clatter of the slide on the strings when I first put it down on the board playing from the open (D) chord. Didn't happen before. It's fine once I get the bar on the board. Slides are all fine. But at first, no soap. Am I using the wrong strings?

I've got DHS Boomers 10-60. Is it just because I am bad and the old string were dead and so I didn't notice it? I've always been a guitarist, but the slide is new to me.

I'm really super happy to be here. You guys are probably going to get tired of me, because I always have a lot of questions. Used to drive my parents crazy. But now I live alone and get all my information from online study, so it's really nice to have this forum.

Thanks.

~Thomas
Lee D Kaiser

Post by Lee D Kaiser »

Could be the string gauge isn't right for your tuning. What tuning are you using? Scale length?
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

new strings always sound brighter and bring out the
sound of the wraps more. take advantage of this time
to work on your technique.
the strings should settle in and get a little smoother in a week or less.
Nathan Burns

Post by Nathan Burns »

Chris Ivey is correct about the brighter sound of the new strings and I also I agree it might be a small technique point.

You need only a minute amount of pressure with your bar because of the weight of the thing on the strings, but a smooth steady motion getting it on the strings and over the fret will help with a fluent transition from your open chord to your barred one.

Are you playing a stevens style bar or a bullet style bar?
Mullen G2 through Fender Steel King

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.