Liberty Reso's

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Keith Doot

Liberty Reso's

Post by Keith Doot »

Anybody have experience with this company? Seems like one of those deals that is too good to be true. American made, available for 3-400 dollars, etc.
How is the company to deal with?
Instrument quality?
How would you describe the sound of a metal top and a spider bridge combo?

Any other things you think are important.

Blessings
Keith
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

I bought a round neck Liberty reso off of ebay. It is the worst piece of junk that I have ever seen in my life,sorry to say. Well, sorry that I bought it but not sorry to inform others of my experience.
When you go to a horse race, you can't always pick a winner, but this is a real donkey.
I have looked at the feedback of the Liberty folks and it only has praise for them and their products. Maybe mine is an isolated case. I'd also like to hear from other Liberty owners.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I'll second you on that one, Howard. Horrible quality. Slapped together with no regard for craftsmanship or even tone. It was even strung improperly when I received it. I had one with the metal top. It's a cheap piece of sheet metal. The soundholes by the neck are not covered with screens, but covered with pieces of the coverplates for the cones, very poorly. There are gaps where the glue or cement didn't take.

They are not entirely American made either. I complained about a buzz in the cone (the screw was stripped out and I couldn't adjust it), and asked if he built these. He said yes, but he got the necks shipped to him from Korea. I think he gets entire guitars shipped from Korea, takes the tops off and fits them for cones.

I've always been very scared to tinker with my musical equipment, afraid I would ruin something. But I had my Liberty in pieces last night (interesting timing on this post...I haven't even looked at mine in months) trying to find something I can do to make it better. Nothing worked, but I don't yet know what to do other than a few things I've picked up here and there. I filed down the bridge so that the strings aren't set so very deep. I found that the spacing of the string slots is not uniform. I thought that maybe raising the strings on raised nut would do something to improve it, but it has the worst, tinniest tone I've ever heard. And the 6th string keeps popping out of the saddle (since before I even messed with it). I will keep tinkering with it, just so I get some experience trying to set the thing up, but I don't keep it for any musical use.

WHEN YOU SEE LIBERTY RESOS, BE AFRAID...BE VERY AFRAID!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 13 July 2001 at 08:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

WHAT CHRIS SAID....WORST INVESTMENT YOU CAN POSSIBLY MAKE....
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I bought Liberty's Palm squareneck model through an eBay auction for around $400 (I don't remember the exact price). For the money, I think it was a good deal, with a built in pickup to boot.
I do agree that the guitar needed a bit of setup work to be its best. When I removed the cover plate, the spider was not resting evenly across the cone. I took care to bend the legs of the spider until the spider lay flat on a table, then reseated the cone and reinstalled the spider and cover plate. This made a big difference in the overall sound and volume.
For the price I paid, I think I got a pretty good guitar. It's certainly a unique-looking instrument. I wasn't expecting to own a Scheerhorn at this price. I feel I got what I paid for, but I'd like to see Liberty spend a bit more time on setup prior to shipment.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

I played one at a festival recently and was not impressed either. It's basically a Regal/Johnson/etc wood body Dobro with large holes cut in the top, a piece of brass stuck to it and some aluminum edging for "binding"

Like Brad said for 3 bills ya get what ya pay for. I think his advertising is deceptive, he makes it sound like your getting a handmade for cheap. He also implies it's partially a "metal body" but it's not. The one I played was used primarily as an electric as it had a magnetic at the neck position. It's acoustic tone was fairly poor and quiet.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike D on 14 July 2001 at 01:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Keith Doot

Post by Keith Doot »

Thanks all for your replys.
Brad thanks for the email.

Seems like they are just like the imports with embellishments, therefore more costly.

Blessings
Keith
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

As far as whether it's made in America or imported, there are laws as to what constitutes being made in America.
In my industry (I can't speak for others), I can import the entire item and if I do 3 things to alter it or add onto it, I can then state or label it "Made in America".
This could be the case with these resos. Regardless of the technicalities involved here, forwarned is fore-armed.