The "Stairway" Plagiarism Lawsuit

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Doug Beaumier

The "Stairway" Plagiarism Lawsuit

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Here is the 1967 Spirit song that was allegedly ripped off by Led Zeppelin for the opening section of Stairway to Heaven. The riff plays at 44 seconds into the song:

--click it--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg&t=0m44s

The case is in court now. Jimmy Page is on the stand this week. He says he never heard the song until recently and he doesn't remember touring with the band Spirit back in the 60s. Family members of Spirit claim otherwise. There's a lot of money at stake. Led Zepp has made about $400M on that one song. What do you think? a ripoff or no?
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

A walkdown is copyright infringement? Of all the tunes and licks Zep probably ripped off, I doubt that this is one.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yeah, and there's a lot more to Stairway than that opening riff. The song has about six sections! I think this is a case of greedy relatives trying to cash in.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Who did Spirit rip off then?
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Good point, Mike. Some people say the riff is in the public domain and goes back to the Baroque era. Check this out ---> http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/04 ... n-lawsuit/
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

You can't copyright a chord progression. To my ear, Spirit's version isn't a melody, it's an arpeggiated chord progression with a descending lowest line. There's a lot of music that Zeppelin (and all musicians, really) appropriated but I wouldn't say this one deserves a lawsuit.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 16 Jun 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Yes, that arpeggiated minor chord/w descending bass line has been featured in other songs, like Johnny River's "Summer Rain".

This reminds me of the lawsuit story that was going around the internet years ago. Supposedly, Metallica was suing a Canadian band for stealing "their interval"... the tri-tone, E5 to Bb5 power chord, called the Devil's Interval. Metallica claimed it was their signature sound. The whole thing was bogus, of course.
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 16 Jun 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Eric Clapton's "Let It Grow" is kind of similar as well.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

I've heard 'Stairway' played just like the Grantata sonata. Maybe Spirit should pay him.
Any argument presented here would get the case thrown out, unless the jury agree with Zappa: 'We're Only In It For The Money.'
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

He says he never heard the song until recently
I don't believe this. British rock bands at that time were always looking up to American acts. Love, Spirit, Byrds, Beach Boys. I think that the idea for the intro to "Pinball Wizzard" came from Love's "Alone Again Or"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcXFy8QTC4
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I'm thinking the whole thing's a publicity stunt. They've certainly got us talking about them... :aside:
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I don't know, there's hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and they're in court now. I think it's just a fishing expedition by greedy relatives of Spirit. It sucks, in my opinion.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Probably right, Doug. I should have done better research before posting. My bad.
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/05/19/l ... /20888140/
Joel Meginsky

Zep suit

Post by Joel Meginsky »

Blue Skies- Irving Berlin
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Just out of curiosity, does someone like Weird Al Yankovic who makes a living out of writing parody songs have to pay royalties until the end of time to the original composer?
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Jeff Garden wrote:Just out of curiosity, does someone like Weird Al Yankovic who makes a living out of writing parody songs have to pay royalties until the end of time to the original composer?
I would hope so.
Joel Meginsky

Zep soot

Post by Joel Meginsky »

Ellington- In a Sentimental Mood.

As was mentioned, you can't copyright a chord progression, or descending bass line. Appropriation of harmonic movement is as old as the hills.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Joel, yes, "Blue Skies". And "It Don't Mean a Thing", I believe.

If I were a defendant in a case like this, I'd want a jury of "music experts", not random folks in the community. Imagine people with no knowledge of music deciding whether or not you plagiarized a song... :o
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

I don't think the plaintiffs stand a chance, but you never know. If there is a one in a thousand chance at millions, people will take it.

I'm aware of a similar situation of Hotel California supposedly borrowing the chord progression of a Jethro Tull song. Ian Anderson just says if they did, he's flattered by the tribute, but believes that there are only so many progressions and it's bound to happen sometimes.
Joachim Kettner

Oh is this the Led Zeppelin fan club, defending their well earned millionaires?
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

That would be bigger than the Spirit fan club, but it's hard to root for the guy who's just wrong.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Here's an update with a video report ---> http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/06/ ... s-in-court

The plaintiff is still presenting it's case and Page is still on the stand as a hostile witness. Next week, the defense. It seems that the jury can only compare the sheet music for each song, not the recordings, which seems a little odd.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Doug Beaumier wrote:. It seems that the jury can only compare the sheet music for each song, not the recordings, which seems a little odd.
Not odd, because the plaintiff is the songwriter (songwriter's estate actually), not the record company. The songwriter owns the copyright to the compostion, not to the sound recording. The sound recording is owned by the record company that signed Spirit, or possibly to someone else who has bought the rights to that sound recording sometime since 1968. So the Spirit sound recording is irrelevant. However, the Zep recording would be relevant if it contains copyrighted material.

Apparently the defense in the Blurred Lines case did not make this clear to the jury, which may explain the egregious verdict. Or maybe the jury was just just stupid, or had other motives.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Jeff Garden wrote:Just out of curiosity, does someone like Weird Al Yankovic who makes a living out of writing parody songs have to pay royalties until the end of time to the original composer?
Al gets permission from the original artist, and writers, of the songs he does and list the original writers on all credits so they do get royalties from his versions of the songs. He does this even after the Supreme Court ruled that a parody does not have to have permission or pay royalties to the original under some "fair use" rule.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/92-1292.ZO.html
Joachim Kettner

Doesn't this sound similar? Jimmy Page on "Dazed And Confused":

MUSICIAN: I understand “Dazed and Confused” was originally a song by Jake Holmes. Is that true?
PAGE: [Sourly] I don’t know. I don’t know. [Inhaling] I don’t know about all that.
MUSICIAN: Do you remember the process of writing that song?
PAGE: Well, I did that with the Yardbirds originally…. The Yardbirds were such a good band for a guitarist to play in that I came up with a lot of riffs and ideas out of that, and I employed quite a lot of those in the early Zeppelin stuff.
MUSICIAN: But Jake Holmes, a successful jingle writer in New York, claims on his 1967 record that he wrote the original song.
PAGE: Hmm. Well, I don’t know. I don’t know about that. I’d rather not get into it because I don’t know all the circumstances. What’s he got, The riff or whatever? Because Robert wrote some of the lyrics for that on the album. But he was only listening to…we extended it from the one that we were playing with the Yardbirds.
MUSICIAN: Did you bring it into the Yardbirds?
PAGE: No, I think we played it ’round a sort of melody line or something that Keith [Relf] had. So I don’t know. I haven’t heard Jake Holmes so I don’t know what it’s all about anyway. Usually my riffs are pretty damn original [laughs] What can I say?

Jake Holmes played as their support, as one can read here:
http://turnmeondeadman.com/dazed-and-co ... ke-holmes/