How many of you play "Chet" style on the 6 string ?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

atkins is an extension of merle....like oscar is an extension of art.

they are all great players. you can nit pick all you want. ;-)
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

atkins is an extension of merle....like oscar is an extension of art.
And they are both extensions of Ike Everly..

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... blues.html
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Cool story and link. Who knew..
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

The magic of a J-200 played by Ike Everly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DoxwrSHKr0

One song that I always liked from the Lovin' Spoonful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_h96aVE8b4
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jason Schofield

Post by Jason Schofield »

I've been playing 6 string for over 30 years. I've never been comfortable doing Merle or Chet style and I just don't get it. I fell in love with Mississippi John Hurt and always wished to play that style. One of my all time favourites was Lindsey Buckinghams's Never Going Back Again from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album. I have dvds', books ect.. Somehow I feel like you either get this style or you don't. I seems to come so natural to those that play it. They didn't have books, dvds' or youtube back then.For those of us trying to learn from books and videos ect.. it seems so forced. Any suggestions?
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Jason I find it impossible to play the alternating bass and the melody at the same time. When I keep picking the bass on only one string it's not so hard, but that's most probably not in the original style.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Jason Schofield wrote: it seems so forced. Any suggestions?
Slow it down. Playing just alternating bass lines is not that hard. What's hard is adding the melody. Every new rhythm you learn on the melody side is a new hurdle, and slowing it down is the quickest way to feeling that new rhythmic combination in your right hand.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Muhlenberg county Ky is the heart of thumb picking...thats where Merle learned it from Mose Rager, Ike Everly, Kennedy Johnson, and others. He just took it to the rest of the world instead of staying in the coal minds. I have attended the CAAS (Chet Atkins Appreciation Society) convention in Nashville for 20 years or so...great players show up there...amazing talent that isnt widely know, such as Paul Moseley and Eddie Pennington and others...do a youtube search on them.
I agree about starting slow...when I was starting out on that style, someone told me to work on just the thumb doing the alternating bass until it was just natural and easy and then add the melody with the fingers...it worked for me...cant say that I play it great, but its a lot of fun to play that style.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Chet and Merle were my main influences and I have played both styles for 47 years. I continue to listen to both and many of the other artists who play thumb and fingerstyle guitar. It's still my greatest love in music.
Paul Stauskas

Post by Paul Stauskas »

I can Travis pick my way through some easier John Hurt, Fahey, or Townes songs but I can't play with a flatpick at all.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Chet and Merle were my main influences and I have played both styles for 47 years. I continue to listen to both and many of the other artists who play thumb and fingerstyle guitar. It's still my greatest love in music.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Larry Dering, if you have any recordings of your thumb picking I would love to hear it ! Let me know. I love playing that style and since I have been going to nursing homes the last few years I find that a lot of those folks enjoy it also. I love finding tunes that I hadnt thought about playing that style and working out my own arrangements thumb style. Thanks for posting.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I wish I had recorded but that seems to have escaped my efforts to play music. Like you I have the style engraved in my playing and use it on just about any song with a slight rearranging. While I can and do play with a flatpick and fingers I am more comfortable with a thumbpick. I may do some recording in the near future just to hold for memory sake while I can still play. Presently caring for my terminally ill wife keeps me away from my playing. I will keep your post for a future contact, thanks for asking.
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Larry, thanks for the response and I am so sorry to hear about your wife...may God bless you and I will keep you both in my prayers.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I bought a Gibson Country Gentleman several years ago, and I still can't play Chet style worth a flip. It ain't the guitar, it was THE MAN.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.