Which Amp?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rick Garrett

Which Amp?

Post by Rick Garrett »

I tracked down my 10 string Ricky steel and Im going to be getting it back pretty soon. I saw something mentioned about a Fender Blues Jr.? Is that a really great amp for my lap steel? Thanks!

Rick
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I love my blues jr. If you want a lightweight 1x12" combo, it's a good way to go.

I'm also a lead guitar player, so to me it's a great amp for both.
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

I would try out the BJ and the 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue (newer one with Jensen speaker) to see which works/sounds better to your ears. The DRRI is hundreds of dollars more and weighs more however. The DRRI does not have a master volume, so you can't get cranked tone at bedroom volumes like on the BJ. The DRRI has better reverb (tube driven). It really depends on what your looking for and your budget. Both amps have their strong points.
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

Bill, my '65 deluxe reissue's speaker is the "special design" single 12 which I think is the same speaker they put in the twin reverb reissues. It has a vintage looking Fender label stuck on the back of the magnet. I think this is an Emminence. Are they now putting in the new Jensen reissues? If so, do you know the model number? I know they are putting the new Jensens in the Bassman and Vibrolux reissues. Did not know about the Deluxe. Nevertheless, the Deluxe is a good amp. Not too big or heavy, and can get real loud if neccessary. Also two independent channels is an advantage for more than one instrument.
Haere mai,
Steve H.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Honum on 22 June 2001 at 10:31 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

My curiosity got the better of me and I phoned Fender. Bill, you're right they said they are now using Jensen reissues for the Deluxe and Twin reissues. Do these speakers improve the tone that much? I'm pretty satisfied with the Emminence. I think it's rated at 50 watts, so there's alot of headroom. I actually use my little Vibro Champ the most, for practice and jamming but the Deluxe is there if I get a gig.
Haere mai,
Steve H.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

If volume is not an issue, I'd recommend you try an old original class-A amp. The sort that came with those guitars. Black brief case sized Rickenbacher (metal or wood) or a Gibsonette type deal. No controls at all! Just guitar juice in on one side and the sound out on the other. 'Simple as that. some even sound like they'd have a slight reverb (but don't have one).
Lucky ones can pick-up a good one for $200.oo or so Image

... J-D.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Overall, I'm very happy with my Blues Jr. except that the reverb isn't too great. I use it for jazz guitar as well as steel.
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

The Jensen in the DRRI is a new model. It's not the P12N. I think they call it a P12R. It's rated at 100 watts. It's probably more authentic sounding than the Emminence. If you really want to replace your speaker, take a look at Weber speakers, they have a great rep. Nice website too.
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

I put a Weber p12NT into a silverface DR that has been moded back to BF setup, it went from sounding really good to sounding great. I've only played guitar though it, haven't had a chance to play steel with it yet, but I'm expecting the same there.
So, yes the speaker does make quite a bit of difference in the sound.
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

On stage, I use a Peavey Delta Blues which has a 15" speaker for my Gibson Console Grande steel guitar.

Last year, I replaced the stock speaker with a Weber P15N and my band members immediately accused me of playing much better. Image Of course, I just smiled and thanked them for the compliment.

For my taste, the Delta Blues and the Weber speaker fit the bill just right.

Terry
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

Bill, thanks for the info. on the Jensens. What is the Weber website address?
Haere mai,
Steve H.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

http://www.webervst.com

They are fine speakers - I've got a P12N in a Fender Deluxe Reverb that smokes the original (Oxford?) that was in there - and I'll probably get a P15N for a TV Front Tweed Pro cab that I've got.

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

David Stehman

Post by David Stehman »

Use 8 string Melobar lap or Melobro reso to POD to SWR California Blonde acoustic amp. Sometimes Reed reso w/ McIntyre "Feather' pickup (very new)to peavy KB100 amp. Sometimes either reso via Peavey 480 small condensor mike to Mackie 808S powered mixer to MR series 15" 3 way JBL monitors and mains. Good comments from these set ups.
Dave Stehman
Acoustic News
Loose Caboose
Sundowners
Geoff Brown

Post by Geoff Brown »

David, what mic/pu are you using with the Melobro...and what POD settings are you using? Thanks. Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Geoff Brown on 02 July 2001 at 10:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
David Stehman

Post by David Stehman »

Goeff - Mike is peavey 480 sm condensor. about $150, phantom power. POD settings = Tube preamp, Crunch, and Tweed Blues for reso with McINTYRE 'Feather' pickup blended with previous model pickup to SWR amp. Using
BlackFace TR setting with lap to vol ped to either amp.
how about your set up?
Dave