Why Isn't Pedal Steel More Popular?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jason King

Post by Jason King »

As a teacher I am around a lot of high school students. I'm seeing a trend in young men and women wanting to listen to "outlaw" country. Stations with Sturgill, Jamey, Christ Stapleton and yes even classic country. Most has steel guitar up in the mix and they are liking it. I hear more and more about how they are tired of pop country and the same type songs. I'm not saying Steel guitar will ever be as popular as it was, but I think it starts with young people hearing it and wanting to be able to create the sounds they like hearing. May take a while, but I think that country is slowly shifting back in the direction most of us would like for it to, and with that will bring some new players.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Bearing in mind that newbies frequently seem to want to make a change in their gear, thinking that what they're using is holding them back. And with that in mind, Herb's words about having "spent enough time in the trenches" begs the question: Is it okay to tell someone who complains about not being able to get a gig that it may be because their playing isn't exactly what it should be? I bring this up because a player friend of mine once asked me if I thought a new pickup would make him sound better, and I replied that some lessons might help a lot more.

Is that being too honest?
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

...a player friend of mine once asked me if I thought a new pickup would make him sound better, and I replied that some lessons might help a lot more.
LOL - That's a loaded question - how did you answer with a straight face!?
Sierra Crown D-10
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

There's a record producer who lives just round the corner from me. He often runs new recordings by me to see what I think. Several times I've suggested that what is missing is a pedal steel guitar. (Now, bear in mind that he produces hip-hop and heavy metal black teenage groups.) On one occasion I sat him down, ran one of his new CDs and played steel in the background to see what he thought.

"What do you think the reaction of the fans would be," he said, "to having a tubby white Santa Claus sitting motionless behind a band of energetic black teenagers?" I saw his point. And it would be no good putting anything on a record that they couldn't replicate live...." :roll:
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

I believe that its our own fault. All of us who wont budge from "traditional" Country music to, Alt. Country, Country Rock , ect.... we are selling a service , and... selling ourselves short, since most of us are not great vocalist!
That's our job.... enhance what the singer is doing!
Too many have forgot that. You are not the star Azzhole...the singer is....learn to play back up!
And of course the money thing falls into play but,
if you can hold your own your chance is as good as any ones.
Twang to the bone!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Maybe we might face the fact that our culture has passed the steel guitar by.

Some instruments just have their day in the sun, their 15 minutes of fame, whatever you want to call it... before they fade into the niche market of musical endeavor. They have a following of fans that are die-hard but the instrument itself is no longer in the commercial mainstream of music.

Examples: pop groups used to have accordions as the main chordal instrument and there were accordion star performers, saxophones were the main lead instrument in the early days of rock and roll, Dixieland used to be a mainstream subset of jazz, as was Big Band music. Great music that is no longer viable in commercial markets.

Perhaps one day the steel will make a comeback. Stranger things have happened.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I think you're absolutely right about that, Herb. It used to be that music was the "big sell", but now the solo-singing star and sex/image thing have supplanted that. Instruments and instrumentalal music were really big in pop music into the '50s and early '60s, but groups came more into fashion in the mid '60s through the 80s. Since then, there has been a serious and steady movement and emphasis towards the single star/singer. Recording companies no longer want to deal with all the different personalities and foibles of groups. Indeed, many times there were problems within groups that led to their demise. The interplay and diversity of a group, which led to so much creativity and uniqueness, became it's own worst enemy, and a single member leaving could start a downhill slide that couldn't be stopped.

"The band, Elwood, the band!" It just doesn't rate, anymore. :(
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Maybe we might face the fact that our culture has passed the steel guitar by.
Most profound Herb, and in regard to this forum, refreshingly succinct.. 8)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

too many old boring fat guys representing the instrument.
just need more exciting bands like poco and desert rose. the steel will come right back!
Barry Blackwood

too many old boring fat guys representing the instrument.
Hey, to coin a phrase, I resemble that remark!
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

All that really matters to me is that I love hearing and playing steel.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

What Andrew said. Can't we give this a rest?
I need an Emmons!
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Post by Jim Bob Sedgwick »

Tony Prior wrote:
Tom Quinn wrote:Tony, I hope you are playing a 14-string keyless guitar. Otherwise you are a hopeless luddite. And you better be playing a Blimpville Mesopatato 45/35 amp with a Ziegler X3 speaker and Swirelville cables, otherwise you are just wasting my time! ;- )

Thank god I am and do...!

But sadly, :( I do have the 2nd version of the X3 Speaker which is now actually re-named the "extended lower frequency air suspension velocity producer with enhanced hi octave tone equalization " model.
Boy Tony... That sounds very expensive! :lol: :lol:
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

except it's not me, it's Tom! :!: :)
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

It was Barry.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Here's a reason right here. Guy plays harmonics way too loud all over the front man's singing and playing and when it's time for him to step up to the plate he chokes. Then it's back to more over-the-top harmonics. Sheesh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsFbtNI8yB4
I need an Emmons!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Looks like all the amps are miked, so you can blame that on the sound man. :\
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

So you blame the sound guy for the lousy playing? Right...
I need an Emmons!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Tom, your first complaint was that the guy was too loud...remember? :aside:

Okay, so he's not a great player. But at least he's trying, and probably doing the best he can. The only way to leatn how to do it...is to do it.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Tom Quinn wrote:What Andrew said. Can't we give this a rest?
Here's a reason right here. Guy plays harmonics way too loud all over the front man's singing and playing and when it's time for him to step up to the plate he chokes. Then it's back to more over-the-top harmonics. Sheesh...
Hmm?
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I'm reminded of the story of when a fan came up to Chet Atkins and told him that his guitar was one of the best sounding he (the fan) had ever heard.

Chet put the guitar on the stand and said "Really? What does it sound like now?"

Could it be that the steel guitar in and of itself isn't losing popularity; it's the players of the steel guitar and the music they make with it, that is losing popularity?

It is easier and safer to blame the instrument, after all.

Just postulating, offering it out for discussion...
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

I think the topic is why isn't the steel guitar more popular. Right? My theory, and I'm not alone here, is that there are too many owners and not enough pickers.

Some of you continue to parse words to come up with other reasons. The youtube link I posted is of one of the really great Canadian fiddle players, Donny Parenteau. He is one famous picker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donny_Parenteau

This guy doesn't play at the local Moose Lodge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U5nGjY ... OW8TD-2imE

This a clip from a big-time concert, this isn't a local bar where you learn your craft. The following clip of "Your Cheating Heat" is just more out of tune pap. Meanwhile the guitar picker and Donny are knocking it out of the park.

I get it that there are some of you here who just love to look for any little thing to either criticize or get your shorts in a bunch. I could give two squats about you as pickers or even as men.

But back to the topic: why isn't the steel more popular? I think it's because there aren't enough steel owners willing to put in the time to learn to play as well as the other musicians n the stage.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's because not enough steel players have purchased a 12-string whoo-whoo and are gigging old crap like Sho-Buds and Emmons...
I need an Emmons!
Barry Blackwood

I think the topic is why isn't the steel guitar more popular. Right? My theory, and I'm not alone here, is that there are too many owners and not enough pickers.
Kind of stating the obvious here, Tom? As with any musical instrument, it's much easier to merely own one than to play one..
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I get it that there are some of you here who just love to look for any little thing to either criticize or get your shorts in a bunch. I could give two squats about you as pickers or even as men.
Here you have it Quinn. I'm going away from the Forum. I've had enough of you! How do you know that others can't play. You're full of prejudices and yourself. This was definetly my last post. I'm very sorry because I liked it here.
Goodbye to the others, but not to you.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Most instruments have more owners than players, if you just consider playing to be in public. For every regular guitarist on the stage there must be several dozen who just sit and play at home, or only pull it out when there's a party so that people can have a sing-song.

Don't leave us Joaquim. Like every organisation, there are all sorts in the Forum. :cry: