Let me encourage you in the use of TablEdit

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Polstra

Post by John Polstra »

I bought TablEdit and used it some, but I'm not particularly thrilled with it. It seems to be useless for C6 tab. You can edit the copedents, but each pedal has to raise or lower all of the affected strings in exactly the same way. For example, you can lower strings 4 and 8 by a half step, but you can't raise one of them and lower the other one. So the program can't handle the standard C6 pedal 6 changes. I emailed the company, who claimed to be oh-so-interested in my feedback. They never replied or acknowledged my email.

I suppose TablEdit is the best available tabbing program for pedal steel, but in my opinion it's still not all that great.

John
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

John Polstra wrote:I bought TablEdit and used it some, but I'm not particularly thrilled with it. It seems to be useless for C6 tab. You can edit the copedents, but each pedal has to raise or lower all of the affected strings in exactly the same way. For example, you can lower strings 4 and 8 by a half step, but you can't raise one of them and lower the other one. So the program can't handle the standard C6 pedal 6 changes. I emailed the company, who claimed to be oh-so-interested in my feedback. They never replied or acknowledged my email.

I suppose TablEdit is the best available tabbing program for pedal steel, but in my opinion it's still not all that great.
John
I would absolutely LOVE to use Tabledit for C6. If someone could direct me to a solution for the above problem, and get me off an ancient version of Pagemaker, I'd reward them lavishly.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Hans Holzherr

Post by Hans Holzherr »

While it would be good if Matthieu solved this problem, there is a workaround which is not too awful to use, since you have to mark notes individually to apply a pedal or lever anyway. The screenshots explain it all.

Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Thank you Stuart and Matthieu. As Hans pointed out, the program is not perfect but within a short period I was able to prepare fairly basic tab for E9.

I'll spend a week on it, and then have a go at the C6 tab. :whoa:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Matthieu Leschemelle

Attaching different pitch changes on the same pedal

Post by Matthieu Leschemelle »

Hi,

Thank you for all your posts. Here is my solution with some explanations:

I'm working right now on the new interface. Allow me one week or two ;-)

I'll have to create a new dialog to define the copedent. I'll also simplify the pitch change dialog.

If you have any objection or feedback don't hesitate.

Thanks for the input.
Hans Holzherr

Post by Hans Holzherr »

Thanks, Matthieu! May I suggest you make that 12 rows and 15 columns (for us neglected 12-string players)?
Matthieu Leschemelle

Hallo Hans,

I will of course.

I've written "in this example" and the instrument of the example is a 10 string PSG.

Matthieu
Matthieu Leschemelle

Work in progress

Hi,

Here is the first version of the copedent editor:

I think it is a slightly more user friendly ;-)

Do you want the ability to export the copedent as ASCII?

By the way, it would be nice to have a collection of common copedents instead of just the E9.

Thanks for your feedback and collaboration.

Matthieu
DG Whitley

Post by DG Whitley »

That looks awesome, cannot wait to try it. I know you have to do some regression testing, but any idea when it might be available?

Thank you for all you do for the PSG world!
Matthieu Leschemelle

Thank you DG,
I'm polishing the UI. Now it is possible to select a cell and to press the Delete key to clear the cell or to press the Substract or Add keys to decrease/increase the cell content.
I think the Windows version will be available next week for registered users.
I reiterate my question about the 8 most used copedents.
Best.
Matthieu
Michael Moore

Post by Michael Moore »

Any timeline for the Mac version? Thanks for being so responsive to the often-neglected PSG world!
Carter S-12, GFI S-12, Emmons S-12, Fender Deluxe 8 non-pedal, Scheerhorn Dobro. Plus banjos.
Matthieu Leschemelle

TablEdit v2.76 b0

Hi,

As promised, I've uploaded the v2.76 b0 for registered users only.

You can get the new Copedent dialog from the Pitch Change dialog and from the Instrument->Tuning tab (Select "Instrument Configuration")

Please send me your comments and suggestions before I "freeze" the file format (and update the Mac version).

For example, I was wondering if I should add some space to enter the copedent name.

Another question: For now, the maximum pitch changes are -3 and +3 semi-tones. It should be possible to increase them to -7 and +7. Is it really needed?

And obviously, I'm still waiting for the commonly used copedents.

Best.

Matthieu
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Thanks Matthieu can't wait! Love that TablEdit!
Matthieu Leschemelle

No need to wait. The update is available for free for registered users.
Best
Kristen Bruno

Post by Kristen Bruno »

Two questions

Can i generate a tab from a midi piano or a midi guitar and play it in tabledit?

And then convert it to a pedal steel or lap steel tab?

Thanks
K
"Technology has given us the ability to repeat all the mistakes we have learned from history, but much faster, deadlier and with much greater accuracy" - KAB
Matthieu Leschemelle

Yes you can but it will be better to open another thread on this new subject.

Best.

Matthieu
DG Whitley

Post by DG Whitley »

My deepest thanks Matthieu, looks good in my initial tinkering. I will try to do more with it tomorrow and keep you posted. But I think it already a huge step over what it was.

Thank you again, deeply appreciated.
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

So can I use TE to load a song in standard notation (say a piano version of Amazing Grace with a treble & bass clef) then use TE to translate that song into E9 pedal steel tab with pedals & knees? That would be very cool ;-) If so, what format would Amazing Grace need to be in for TE to understand it...*.mid, *.smf, ???

I've been a MuseScore user for years and while they have a pedal steel instrument, it's really not designed for actual pedal steel tab at this point in time.

Thanks!
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
Matthieu Leschemelle

Dennis,

I would suggest to import the MIDI file into TablEdit as a piano score.

Then go to Instrument->Tuning select "Impact Fingerings" and select the PSG 9th tuning.

If it doesn't work as expected, please send me the MIDI file.

It is definitely something TE should be able to achieve.

Matthieu
Dennis Montgomery

Post by Dennis Montgomery »

Thanks Matthieu, I d'loaded the demo version and will give it a try and report back.
Hear my latest album, "Celestial" featuring a combination of Mullen SD12 and Synthesizers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhh6b_x ... Ww493qAouK

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NrvnJObliA
Matthieu Leschemelle

TE v2.76 b0a

Hi,

Following Dennis' advice, I've deeply improved the "Optimize Fingerings" option regarding the MIDI import and Transpose features. Now the tablature conversion uses all of the pedals and levers of the current copedent.

BTW in the new update, you can edit the name of the copedent. You can also select a standard copedent (E9, C6 and Universal). However, I don't think I'll keep this feature which doesn't seem really useful.

The new update is available for free to registered users.

Best.

Matthieu
Hans Holzherr

Post by Hans Holzherr »

Thanks for your great work!

I would like to suggest a few changes in the standard E9th copedent visible in the screenshot:

1) I set pedals A B C one slot to the right to accommodate a possible Franklin pedal at ‘position 0’.
2) I shifted the knee levers to the left, but left a slot open to the right of C, also for the Franklin pedal, if anybody cares to have it there.
3) Any half stop on a lever requires an additional column. I’ve recently created the self-explanatory symbols RKL/ RKL| and RKR| RKR\ to differentiate between the two engaged states. I'm not sure if the feel stop on RKL can be considered standard, but it's certainly convenient. It works just like the feel stop on RKR.

Then, I’d like to suggest that you
1) delete ‘single neck’ from your copedent names, as the term is used to describe a configuration of the guitar body, not the guitar’s tuning;
2) rename E9th universal to E9th/B6th universal.

I'm sending the tab template with this configuration to your wanadoo address but am not sure if it's still valid.

Matthieu Leschemelle

Copedent E9th

Thank you Hans.

That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Regarding the standard tunings, I understand they may be useful as templates.

Regarding the labels, I think they should be consistent with the shortkeys. In your template, typing B will add the first Pedal which is often represented by A. That is confusing.

Should I make the shortkeys customizable and use them as the displayed abbreviation in the tab?

Matthieu

PS: I've received your mail.
Hans Holzherr

Re: Copedent E9th

Post by Hans Holzherr »

Matthieu, thanks for your reply.
Matthieu Leschemelle wrote:Regarding the labels, I think they should be consistent with the shortkeys. In your template, typing B will add the first Pedal which is often represented by A. That is confusing.
I don't quite understand how the shortkeys are supposed to work. If I mark a note on string 5 and press, for instance, 'A' on the keyboard, nothing happens.

But entering pedals in the tab using just the pitch change dialog box would be OK, but only if it remained open. Currently, selecting a pedal and on clicking OK, the box closes itself. When selecting a pedal, a click on the Apply button should enter it in the tab, but currently, nothing happens.

I also read in help that a maximum of 3 characters are allowed for pedal names, so I deleted the 'K's and just wrote RL\ etc. Now, the system can handle the names.

How big a programming effort would it be to enable two simultaneous pedal/lever presses on the same string?
Matthieu Leschemelle

Hi Hans,

It is exactly what I was writting: in your configuration, the A shortkey causes the reserved 0 pedal to be applied (so no effect at all). To get the first pedal, you have to type B.

The Apply button only changes the label of the effect. It doesn't apply the effect to the selected note. It is useful for instruments that don't have the copedent dialog. For a PSG, you should use the copedent dialog. So I will hide the Apply button and the edit field if the instrument is a PSG.

The label can be of 4 characters. I'll change the help file.

To enable two simultaneous pedal/lever presses on the same note on the same string would be almost impossible. How can it work BTW?

Matthieu