New Pedal Steel Day!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Parker

New Pedal Steel Day!

Post by Scott Parker »

Thanks to everyone who helped this newbie with suggestions and advice. The Sho-Bud Pro III arrived today and looks incredible. Now I have to get to learning this crazy thing!

Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

Hey Scott our Pro 3's are twins
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

Nice double Gumby.
Enjoy & learn fast!
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

DROOL!!!! One of my dream guitars. Good score.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Beautiful. It's easy to see why you bought this instead of the Encore. Is this the guitar with the Day setup you asked about earlier?

How many raises and lowers does it have? We could tell if you posted a picture of the endplate.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Sweet! :D
Twang to the bone!
Scott Parker

Post by Scott Parker »

Mike Perlowin wrote:Beautiful. It's easy to see why you bought this instead of the Encore. Is this the guitar with the Day setup you asked about earlier?

How many raises and lowers does it have? We could tell if you posted a picture of the endplate.
This is a different setup than the one that had the Day setup that I was asking about. It's an Emmons setup. I saw this one when it was initially posted but hesitated because some suggested not getting wrapped up in an older guitar as a new player. I have a friend who plays and he told me to jump on it because it was an incredible deal. I contacted the seller and he said he already had a buyer. Darn! So I wrote him and told him to let me know if it didn't work out with the first buyer. To my surprise I got a call a week later and he said the first guy bailed. Told me there was nothing wrong with it, and he was the second owner, originally owned by a pro, and even came with the original receipt, warranty tag and and a copy of an email from Gene Haugh stating it was built on April 6, 1977 by Shot Jackson, shipped to Gretsch on April 15, 1977, then shipped to Don White Music in Poplar Bluff, MO on May 4, 1977.

The gentleman who I purchased the steel from is a member here. He was incredibly helpful and patient and answered my many questions. Told him if I was ever in his neck of the woods I'd buy him a beer, and he said he'd take me fishing! Can't complain about the civility and camaraderie that exists here on this forum, that so many other forums seem to lack!

Here's a picture of what I think you were asking about:

I made this chart and printed it out and keep it on the guitar for reference since I obviously cannot keep track of what everything does at this point! also laid down some painters tape and labelled the strings. After making the chart I found several already made online! That would have taken less effort, but I guess figuring it out on my own will help with learning! (Yes, I understand that D3 and Eb are the same note! I understand basic music theory, but have seen tuning charts where some label the 2nd string D3 while others call it Eb, and in my mind writing both down makes it easier!) I haven't even tuned or written out a chart for the C6 neck. At this point for me it doesn't even exist! One neck at a time!

Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Looks to be in terrific condition...congrats and enjoy your time with it!
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Congratulations, that is one heckuva nice rig. Bet it sounds gorgeous through that silverface Fender.

Btw, looking at your chart, 9th string open is typically D, not D#.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

Two hole pullers/nylon tuners/small pedals w/o treads...
More than a few folks consider this to be one of Sho-Bud's finest vintages.
Congrats...

Ditto on the 9th string. Tune it to D and lower it to C# with your RR.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Awesome Scott ! Congrats.
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Philip Mitrakos

Post by Philip Mitrakos »

Okso now the first thing you should do is take those old style dust catcher fret boards off and sell em to me and buy some shiny new flat ones. :D :lol:
Scott Parker

Post by Scott Parker »

Skip Edwards wrote:
Ditto on the 9th string. Tune it to D and lower it to C# with your RR.
Oops! Guitar is tuned correctly, made the chart wrong!