Putting an old Emmons where it belongs !

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Tom Quinn wrote:Bunch of weirdos here. Of course an Emmons D-10 anything belongs in a honky tonk. Instead you get all involved in tuba talk. Go figure...
Thanks for the compliment, Mr. Country.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Okay Mr. Polka! ;- )
I need an Emmons!
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Back in '08, I had just finished rebuilding my wraparound and got a call to sit in for one with Tiger Army. I'm back behind the bass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbyp8fIu2CQ
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeBqf6bYZak

We're TRYING, we're trying! Don't plotz yer Pampers over a lack of intent, because that isn't what's holding it back! I think it's lovely that steel guitar just keeps gaining in popularity and there are more and more opportunities to play interesting music, all except at those dreary old honky-tonk drunk factories?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aduDhBDS7w

Someplace else, but via N'Orleans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh8R94H5Y1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI19M5cZ4rk
sigh....
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=208507

Do you like to play with your body organs? Cause here's a brain-tweezer:
If there are ten people in a room and SEVEN of them are purple and THREE of them are green, one might say the greenies are "out-of-place." But time flies like the wind, moons roll around, crops grow,fruit flies like bananas, babes are born, geezers die and before you know it, 25 years have passed!

O.K. So now, let's say THREE purple people, SEVEN green people, Attila the Hun, and Ralph the guy at the auto parts store ALL get on an elevator together: What's the Punchline? So HOOOO's the weirdo NOW?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It's no contest, David!

:D
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

chas smith wrote:Back in '08, I had just finished rebuilding my wraparound and got a call to sit in for one with Tiger Army. I'm back behind the bass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbyp8fIu2CQ
Sounds great Chas ! Looks like a fun gig. Those wraparounds cut through anything.
Bob
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Tom Quinn wrote:Yeah, and the folks here whining about that steel probably don't even own an Emmons. Probably 12-string keyless whoo-whoos.
Still curious to know what a "12-string keyless whoo-whoo" is. :\

Lee, from South Texas
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Lee, if you don't already know, it's best I spare you the details...
I need an Emmons!
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Double post...
Last edited by Tom Quinn on 2 Apr 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need an Emmons!
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

"We're TRYING, we're trying! Don't plotz yer Pampers over a lack of intent, because that isn't what's holding it back! I think it's lovely that steel guitar just keeps gaining in popularity and there are more and more opportunities to play interesting music, all except at those dreary old honky-tonk drunk factories?"

You know nothing about honkytonks or even good music...
I need an Emmons!
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

:cry:

One of several disappointments in this thread, I regret the inability to make the emoticon larger.
Last edited by Herb Steiner on 2 Apr 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

This is what irritates me to no end:

The constant put down of the rural roots of the pedal steel. You folks who dismiss "honky-tonks" as low brow drunk factories are way off base. The so-called "honky-tonks" were the social gathering places of blue collar workers back in the day.

Sure, there were folks there who drank too much. But most times, it was a husband and a wife, a young couple who wanted to dance on a Friday night. A local or regional band would play and most folks had a good time.

Paul Franklin in the youtube cut above demonstrates what we all know -- he is a tremendous musician who could make Happy Birthday sound like Beethoven. His technique, taste and touch are unsurpassed. Paul also played the signature licks and hooks on thousands of songs that live and lived on juke boxes in every honky-tonk in the world and that is a fact. The same as Buddy Emmons or Pete Drake or Lloyd Green.

You stuck up people who think it is easy to play smoking pedal steel in a live, raucous bar are mistaken. And that is the fertile ground on which the seeds to pedal steel development sprung. I highly doubt that many of you who sneer at this music can actually play it or play it with conviction.

But I can tell you, that if you could, I don't think you would be so dismissive of it. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent playing 33 1/3rd records at slow speeds over and over again back in the day trying to get the licks down so I could head off to some bar or juke joint to give proper respect to the Nashville cat who played the lick originally. And I also cannot tell you how great it felt when I figured it out.

So good luck with your touchy feely music where you think you're hot stuff because you play the occasional MAJ7 chord. Ill stick with Tammy and George, Merle and all the others who played three chords and the truth to a lot of folks who needed their lives revealed in song.
I need an Emmons!
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

How can you say this? I'm sure that at least ninety percent of the steel players came to this instrument because they liked Country Music. I know you don't take me serious, but I stick with Gram Parsons who said (paraphrasing him): Country is not the only music out there, but I choose to play it
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

I don't think anyone wants to put down the roots of the steel or deny how great it is to play traditional honky tonk on the E9th.
There are, however, people in this thread who imply that it should also stay there.
Don't fence us in.....
I will play a German tour in December with a trio of a kora, an acoustic guitar and steel whether Calvin approves or not.
Last edited by Olli Haavisto on 2 Apr 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olli Haavisto
Finland
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

So good luck with your touchy feely music where you think you're hot stuff because you play the occasional MAJ7 chord.
This has been around for a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plk8H9f69Rs
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

O.K. So now, let's say THREE purple people, SEVEN green people, Attila the Hun, and Ralph the guy at the auto parts store ALL get on an elevator together: What's the Punchline?
Who farted?
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
O.K. So now, let's say THREE purple people, SEVEN green people, Attila the Hun, and Ralph the guy at the auto parts store ALL get on an elevator together: What's the Punchline?
Who farted?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

If there are ten people in a room and SEVEN of them are purple and THREE of them are green, one might say the greenies are "out-of-place."
Well, we're gonna need to know if one of them is a "12-string keyless whoo-whoo".

Lee, from South Texas
Johan Bandling Melin

Re: Putting an old Emmons where it belongs !

Post by Johan Bandling Melin »

Bob Hoffnar wrote:This is where my 64 Emmons spent last night.
At the White Horse playing for a packed house of people dancing. It was quite a night ! That Emmons wraparound was just made for clawing its way through the mayhem.
Is that the same as Peter Andersson borrowed from you when we were over in Februari? That one sounded great! This is it from The Continental Club played through a mid 60's Fender Twin Reverb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89PZ4SJXDg

Btw thanks for bringing back my rentals! Really appreciated it!

/johan
71 Emmons D-10, 73 Sho-Bud S-10
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Johan,
That guitar Peter used was one of those modern 67 Emmons steels. It sounds pretty good too. It was great meeting you guys.
Bob
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I just read this whole thread and let me see if I got this right, you shouldn't play your Emmons wrap around in a honky tonk because Buddy Emmons looks out of place playing Take Me Out To The Ball Game because you can't play C6th in a honky tonk because nobody likes it and tubas are ok but not for the Beatles.
Am I close?
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Henry
No, the message is that you should play your Emmons anywhere you damn feel like, and any music you are capable of playing, regardless of the style of music you enjoy. Additionally, you can play a 12-string keyless guitar anywhere you want to, and you can most likely play circles around the guys who think you've chosen the "wrong" guitar. And if you ever lock horns in a jam session with closed minded musicians, I fervently hope that your playing embarrasses them and hurts their feelings, making them realize they should spend more time behind their guitars practicing and less time criticizing their fellow musicians.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ben Edmonds

Post by Ben Edmonds »

Perfect !
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

You da man Herb :D
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

No, play anything you want even if you look like a fool. But don't put down the roots of the pedal steel -- hard-core Country and Western... and Herb, seems like that's where this conversation started -- someone bagging on that horrid C&W, right?

Kryptonite for some of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GmaR8 ... Da0De_1MQc
I need an Emmons!