Who are the Top 5 Players today?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Jamieson

Who are the Top 5 Players today?

Post by Larry Jamieson »

I recently read another thread in which someone mentioned that
Gary Carter is certainly in the top 5 players today. I know this is very subjective, but who do you think are the top 5 players today? I would certainly include Paul Franklin and Tommy White, but there are so many other amazing players out there... Who is on your top five list?
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I could never whittle it down to a Top-5.

Even back in "the day", there were just too many killer players to do that (e.g.Emmons, Charleton, Day, Mooney, Chalker, Green, Hughey, JD, Jim Murphy, Jernigan..................)
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

no way to mention just 5 without feeling bad about the other 50 that deserve the spots!
Bernie Gonyea

Your most in Demand Steel Guitarists

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:whoa: :roll: :D

I agree with many of you about picking out five steel players whom you think are the greatest; There are so manyout-standing steelers in the business.I, for one could not pick out any five players whom I thought could fill that category. Possibly we could pick out five whom we know are making the most income from being the' Most in Demand as in the studio back up men in Nashville or other places . Or steelrs whom are spot-lighted by working with really big stars. Attending great " Steel Guitar Jamborees" such as many of us had the privelege of seeing & hearing in Dallas in early March; Made all of us realize how many fine & super pickers there are in our country & other locations in the world. I say Congratulations to every steel guitar artist whom participates at these jamborees; they all deserve a big " HATS OFF " don't you agree. You all are my favorites. Bernie Gonyea
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Gary Guzzardo

Post by Gary Guzzardo »

Just 5 ??? I can think of 50 or better ..
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I would think that the top five would be able to play both necks, different styles and have speed as well. I will say Doug Jernigan has to be one of the very best of all time. I also love to hear a Texas player in Steve Palousek. Steve plays things I do not hear other players play. Top five players? It would be just a matter of opinion.
Justin Griffith

Post by Justin Griffith »

Paul King wrote:I would think that the top five would be able to play both necks, different styles and have speed as well. I will say Doug Jernigan has to be one of the very best of all time. I also love to hear a Texas player in Steve Palousek. Steve plays things I do not hear other players play. Top five players? It would be just a matter of opinion.
Agree. C-6 is becoming a lost art outside of Texas. A few guys have moved here to Texas, gotten a gig, then freaked out when they learned they were expected to play a bunch of C-6.
No disrespect intended to E-9th only players. Lloyd did just fine. It depends on what you are playing. I personally dig 6th stuff a bunch.
Emmons/Sho~Bud/Blanton, Fender/Peavey.
Telonics pedal
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

The only question of this sort that would not be totally subjective and fodder for all sorts of "how could you not include Steely McSteelsteel!?" would be "list top 5 current session pros", as measured by volume of work.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I agree with Chris and the others. With such a broad term as "Top 5 Players, there's no way to be fair to all involved. By "top" does it mean the ones who are the best players, the most popular, the busiest, the most innovative, the best at backing a singer, the best at playing instrumentals, etc...? By "most popular" do we mean most popular session player, most popular concert player, or most popular steel show player? We all know that with every instrument, or singer, or most any profession, the most popular is not always the best, but is often perceived to be the best. Kind of chicken and egg thing.

There's so many great players out there doing so many different styles, different kinds of gigs, and so full of talent. I think that's why the true pros have so much respect for one another, because they are all different. Sometimes I get bored with hearing the same people play the same licks over and over, and then I walk into a club somewhere and there's a local band playing and a player that blows me away with their playing.

I respect the pro guys that play sessions most every day for hours and must really be pros to keep their playing fresh and not get bored and burned out. But, I also respect the guys that work a non-music job all week and rush home on Friday to load their gear and get to a show on time and are excited to play a new lick they learned during the week.... not motivated by the token $$ he'll make, but by the opportunity to play the music he loves and hang out with his buddies. These guys are often very good players too.

I won't mention names because we will not agree on the top 5, and number 6 will obviously be a great player too, but maybe have his/her feelings hurt because he wasn't mentioned. I'd say all the players are top players and most all do something I like.

RC
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

My top five would be in no particular order for the top three.

1. Paul Franklin, Tommy White, an Mike Johnson.
2. Way too many to list.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Thanks for all your comments and responses. Mike Johnson is certainly another in my personal favorite top five. It is probably too difficult to narrow down the list and pick just five. I also come across amazing players from time to time that I was not even previously aware of...
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I've checked here a bunch of times and still haven't seen my name. Probably some clerical error.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Richard Sinkler

Dick Wood wrote:I've checked here a bunch of times and still haven't seen my name. Probably some clerical error.
It's right above mine. :cry:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Maybe they have us at top five from bottom of the list Richard.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

Lloyd Green will always be on my 1st spot.
but when looking at who is recording a lot, than Russ Pahl and Paul Franklin will be high on the list...I think.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

I'll play! Doug Jernigan, Paul Franklin, Tommy White, Mike Johnson, and Buck Reid. IMHO
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Most well known: Robert Randolph
Best resume: Greg Leisz
Best Jazz player: Dave Easily
Most Innovative: Susan Alcorn
Best Looking: Will Van Horn
Bob
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

On my Vinylbeat.com site, I listed who I thought were the 50 best steelers with pictures and links, and a bubbling under of another 50 great ones. Very subjective of course.

http://www.vinylbeat.com/album-19-50Gre ... rists.html

Joe
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

Tommy
Doug
Joe
Paul
JayDee
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

Finally, some recognition for my god-given talents! 8)
Richard Sinkler

Will Van Horn wrote:Finally, some recognition for my god-given talents! 8)
I thought we were talking about steel guitar players. Image
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Some of my favorites who have not been mentioned would be Steve Hinson, Gary Carter, Milo Deering, Junior Knight, Bruce Bouton, Jim Loessberg, Dean Holman, Terry Bethel, Randy Beavers, Rick Price, Mike Headrick, and the list goes on and on and on.............................. Pick the top 5, no way!!
Jerry
Bob Ritter

Post by Bob Ritter »

Joe, Jay Dee, Tommy, Paul, Doug,
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

just to make things easier, we could start with the top 5 under 200 pounds. at least then you guys would list lloyd green.
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

I heard myself say to somebody after Buck Reid's set at the Dallas show that he could well be the best living steel player. Of course it's impossible and meaningless to put musicians in any who's the best order but after that set that is what came out of my mouth.....
Olli Haavisto
Finland