Restoring A Triple 8 Stringmaster

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tommy Adams

Restoring A Triple 8 Stringmaster

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi everyone, I received a Triple neck Stringmaster a few weeks ago. It was missing a lot of parts, I have located most of them to put it back up and running again. I still need to get the pickups for it, and was just wondering how the Gibson Grand Consoles from Lollar would sound. I also would like to replace the fretboards since they were a little beat up. I hope to get some pictures up soon. Thanks in advance for your help and input. Tommy
Russell Davis

Post by Russell Davis »

Tommy,
Seymour Duncan Antiquity and Jason Lollar both makes direct replacement stringmaster pickups.

If you need any other parts let me know as I've probably got what you need.

Russell
Tommy Adams

Post by Tommy Adams »

Russell, Thanks for the reply. I need to look at what all I do need and I will sure get back with you. Thanks again.....Tommy
Tommy Adams

PIctures added

Post by Tommy Adams »

Okay here are some pictures finally! Restoration in progress, will add more pictures as it progresses.
This has been a fun project giving the Stringmaster a Custom Finish.
More later.
Tommy

Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

So you are still looking for control plates with bridges, nuts and leg sockets or are they just not pictured?

You did well to find the tuner pans and tuners - they are really hard to track down. The fretboards look pretty good in the pictures.

Looking forward to see how the restoration progresses.

FWIW, I'd definitely go for Stringmaster style pickups if it were mine. The blend control really gives you a nice range of sounds to choose from and the Stringmaster sound is an all time classic.
Tommy Adams

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the leg flanges. I now need to decide which pickups I will be using before I go any further. Russel from Fort Worth has told me that he has some parts, but the pickups will decide what parts I need. I plan to call Lollar next week and talk to him about what he recommends. The date in the tuning cavities are 4/56. Thanks again to everyone and I do value your input.
Tommy
Russell Davis

Post by Russell Davis »

I totally agree with Jeff.
Go with stringmaster style pickups. If you go with Jason Lollar he's got the complete set, bridge and neck, with blend pot already wired and ready to drop in.
Dave Bader

Pickup Covers

Post by Dave Bader »

My experience with Duncan and Lollar stringmaster pickups is that they don't fit in the existing covers without filing the flatwork. It's a bit nerve racking. I've been making my own covers by chopping up six string covers and gluing the pieces together. I cover them with plastic tops.
Tommy Adams

Post by Tommy Adams »

Thanks Dave,
I appreciate the heads up info about the pickups. I am having to work on some other projects right now, but hope to get back to the Stringmaster soon.
Thanks again Tommy
Russ Cudney

Post by Russ Cudney »

Hi Tommy,
I did a restoration about a year ago on a 58, and just started a 56. Here's a link to the 58 resto: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... t=#2327947

PM me if you need any help..
1958 D8 Stringmaster, 1958 T8 Stringmaster, 1955 Q8 Stringmaster (in basket), 1949 Gibson BR9, 1953 Silvertone, 1957 Harmony H4 (yeah the cool black pearloid one), 1947 National Princess, 1969 Shobud S10 3X1
Tommy Adams

Stringmaster Restoration

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi Russell,
I sent you a P.M. about some parts, hope to hear from you soon. Thanks for your help....Tommy
Russ Cudney

Post by Russ Cudney »

I answered your PM with my phone #
1958 D8 Stringmaster, 1958 T8 Stringmaster, 1955 Q8 Stringmaster (in basket), 1949 Gibson BR9, 1953 Silvertone, 1957 Harmony H4 (yeah the cool black pearloid one), 1947 National Princess, 1969 Shobud S10 3X1
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

Looking great, Tommy. Back to your original question, I used Jason Lollar's Gibson Grande Console pickup on my recent build and I love the sound of it. Thick and rich tone on my steel, but definitely not Stringmaster-like.
So, if you're looking for variety, and not authenticity, then tossing one of those on a neck could be a cool idea. I'm now ducking from the stuff the purists are throwing at me.
David K
Tommy Adams

Stringmaster Restoration

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply, and I value your encouragement.
I grew up in the fifties when the Gibson and Fender were the steels to have. I am going to try to keep the stringmaster to it's original. I have another guitar that I built, that I plan to install the Gibson in. I have found myself caught working on several Instruments at one time. I hope to have some more pictures of progress up soon. Hope everyone has a Blessed and Happy Easter.....Tommy
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I bought a T-8 Stringmaster new in 1954.
I sold it when I got a fingertip Sho~Bud from Shot Jackson in 1967.
Later on I had a chance to buy it back and did.
By that time it looked like it had been played with a claw hammer.
I disassembled it and restored it to look like new.
Here are some before and after pictures.

Tommy Adams

Stringmaster Restoration

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi Everyone, I finally got the latest parts on, hoping to have the pickups soon. So far I am pleased with how everything has turned out. Have a Blessed Day......Tommy

Gary Rue

pickups

Post by Gary Rue »

Nice work on the restoration. Have not heard Jason's pickups but have done the A+B test between my string master and Duncan Antiquity pickups and was very pleased.
Gerald Cook

Post by Gerald Cook »

Tommy, I know what it takes to restore something but you have gone above and beyond. Erv, what a piece of art. Your steel looks better than original.....GREAT JOB!!!!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Gerald,
Thanks! :D