Any PSG Tech in Houston Area?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Robinson

Any PSG Tech in Houston Area?

Post by Brian Robinson »

Hello Y'All,

My first post, and also a newbie at the pedal steel. Been playing about 6 months, although I have been playing string and electric bass forever.

I have an old MSA 12 string that needs some work. The electronics has a short that comes to life when a cool front blows through. And yes, Houston has the occasional cool front. Also, the springs could use replacing for the first two pedals.

Would anyone know a pedal steel guitar tech in Houston, or maybe somewhere within an easy drive...Austin, San Antonio, or East Texas?

Brian
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Ricky Davis for one. He is a forum member. Send him a PM here and he will get back with you. J.R. Rose
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson »

Thanks a bunch.
Mullen RP D10
Fender Stringmaster D8
MSA S/D 12 Classic
Telonics TCA-500 Combo
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Nashville 112

Twitter: @rtechnologies
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Ricky is in Austin, but Billy Phelps is out in Katy and Jody Cameron is in Angelton. Either one of them would likely be able to help you.
Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson »

Ricky, Billy, or Jody. Got it. Thanks again.

I'm having a great time learning this old guitar. I find myself practicing often, and searching for old, and new traditional country for good steel songs to learn. The MSA is a 12 string, and I have it tuned to an extended E-9. I am guessing is a 1970's vintage. It was my great uncle's, and he took good care of it, with the only problems from age and use. Way back in the day before that steel guitar, in the 1950's I think, he was a local musician and backed some of the touring acts coming through East Texas. I happily took responsibility for his steel guitar, and intend to do it justice.

Brian Robinson

Mullen RP D10
Fender Stringmaster D8
MSA S/D 12 Classic
Telonics TCA-500 Combo
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Nashville 112

Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Also, try Craig Holden. He's in Austin, but he's from Houston and is often there. He's Bobby Bowman's protege. He did really good work on my MSA.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Brian Robinson

Post by Brian Robinson »

Thanks Susan
Mullen RP D10
Fender Stringmaster D8
MSA S/D 12 Classic
Telonics TCA-500 Combo
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Nashville 112