Threaded inserts for Fender steel leg sockets?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bruce Derr

Threaded inserts for Fender steel leg sockets?

Post by Bruce Derr »

Years ago I bought a pack of threaded inserts that I thought would allow standard 1/2"-13 legs to fit the 3/4"-10 leg sockets on my Fender Deluxe 8. Then I never used them because I fixed the original legs that came with the steel.

I've wondered if anyone else has ever tried this approach. It's cheap, and you can keep your steel's original leg sockets.

I think these are the ones I bought:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#90250a038/=11916nj
They are only $9 for a bag of 5. They might also be available at a good hardware store.

I've been meaning to share the idea for years but keep forgetting. I was just reminded by a WTB post by Keith Bolog so I thought I'd mention it here in case it proves helpful to someone.
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

Another tip for Fender String Masters, or Deluxe 8s with missing legs is to use mic stands. The large diameter fits the sockets in the guitar, and small rubber tips from the hardware store will fit the small tube at the floor.
Harry McIlwain

Post by Harry McIlwain »

Thanks to Bruce Derr for the tip on the threaded inserts for the 3/4 inch Fender leg sockets from McMasters. I ordered them and had them in 3 days. They work great. Thanks Bruce. Harry
Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

Harry, you're welcome. Thanks for trying them out and reporting your results. I had a feeling they'd work well but never took the time to try them.