Couldn't Resist :)

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Cliff Clavin from Cheers gives Doug a history lesson at the bar: "It's a little known fact, Mister Beaumier, that in the Battle of Bunker Hill in 1775, the local Minutemen 'banded' together and played Foggy Mountain Breakdown on their banjos simultaneously and at the same time to force a British retreat from the city of Boston..." :)

Doug Clark

Post by Doug Clark »

Doug Beaumier wrote:Ah, I get it... Bunker Hill.. billies, from Boston. :wink:
Yup; Chaaaahlstown. :mrgreen:
We used to see them sometimes on Boomtown, but maybe you couldn't pick up WBZ way out there in 413-Land. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomtown_(1956_TV_series)

Good one, Jeff. The Brits didn't acquire banjos as weapons until years later, and by then the USA was well ahead in the technology. :lol:
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Eyuh - well, Breed's Hill for the most part. And the Brits did eventually overrun the colonists, but took a major pounding in the process. They musta' brought out the bagpipes.

Yup, I remember the Bunker Hillbillies. And certainly Rex Trailer and Boomtown. My mom trotted us down to the WBZ-TV studios several times at 6:30am Saturday morning to be in the "posse". My brother and I were always downstairs at 6am Saturday mornings to watch for years. I'll bet Rex is responsible for about as many Boston kids playing guitars as the Beatles.

I missed a chance to buy Rex's circa-early-50s SJ-200 about 15-20 years ago by an hour or two. Always regretted that. He was a huge influence on me as a kid, and not just about music. He was a cool dude all the way around.
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Ian Worley wrote:What a cool looking bass! I want it
I have seen one of those old Gibson basses; very cool.
Didn't know the stand came out the side.

FIRE SALE
Little do you know Charlie that those appear to be Hoffee Cases, and they go for close to $900 a piece, or maybe you do. :o
Old Emmons D-10's & Wrap Resound 65, Standel amps!
Old Gibson Mastertones
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Dave Mudgett wrote:Eyuh - well, Breed's Hill for the most part. And the Brits did eventually overrun the colonists, but took a major pounding in the process. They musta' brought out the bagpipes.

Yup, I remember the Bunker Hillbillies. And certainly Rex Trailer and Boomtown. My mom trotted us down to the WBZ-TV studios several times at 6:30am Saturday morning to be in the "posse". My brother and I were always downstairs at 6am Saturday mornings to watch for years. I'll bet Rex is responsible for about as many Boston kids playing guitars as the Beatles.

I missed a chance to buy Rex's circa-early-50s SJ-200 about 15-20 years ago by an hour or two. Always regretted that. He was a huge influence on me as a kid, and not just about music. He was a cool dude all the way around.
Didn't Rex Trailer have a side kick named Billy? My brother in law lives on the Cape, Billy's a member at what was called Round Hill in Sandwich, played golf with him and later went over to his house and played banjo and guitar. He was Rex's side kick, so he said! Pretty certain that he really was.
Old Gibson Mastertones
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Nice link Doug!

I just love the nicknames that the Bunker Hillbillies had and that they all had one, reminds me of my old neighbor hood growing up :D
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Doug Clark

Post by Doug Clark »

George Seymour wrote:Didn't Rex Trailer have a side kick named Billy? My brother in law lives on the Cape, Billy's a member at what was called Round Hill in Sandwich, played golf with him and later went over to his house and played banjo and guitar. He was Rex's side kick, so he said! Pretty certain that he really was.
He had three, according to Wikipedia. I had pretty much forgotten all but Pablo, the guy who was on there when one of my brothers and I were on the show with our Cub Scout pack, "sometime prior to '62."
"He was aided on the show by a succession of sidekicks over the years, including Pablo, Cactus Pete, and Sgt. Billy, played by Dick Kilbride, Terrence Currier and Bill O'Brien, respectively." Pablo would probably be considered "stereotyping" these days, but back then, it was good fun.
Last edited by Doug Clark on 23 Feb 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Doug Clark wrote:
George Seymour wrote:Didn't Rex Trailer have a side kick named Billy? My brother in law lives on the Cape, Billy's a member at what was called Round Hill in Sandwich, played golf with him and later went over to his house and played banjo and guitar. He was Rex's side kick, so he said! Pretty certain that he really was.
He had three, according to Wikipedia. I had pretty much forgotten all but Pablo, the guy who was on there when one of my brothers and I were on the show with our Cub Scout pack, probably sometime prior to '62.
"He was aided on the show by a succession of sidekicks over the years, including Pablo, Cactus Pete, and Sgt. Billy, played by Dick Kilbride, Terrence Currier and Bill O'Brien, respectively." Pablo would probably be considered "stereotyping" these days, but back then, it was good fun.
Thank you, yes Sargent Billy, Bill Obrien, lives I. Sandwich MA,
Old Gibson Mastertones
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Well - Sgt. Billy was played by Bill O'Brien, could be the same guy.

Rex was larger than life. He did lots of personal appearances, including at the elementary school I was in.

I'll say that it was pretty rare to see a banjo on that show - that big ole' SJ-200 just dominated. I knew several kids who sat down and learned all them chords so they could be like Rex, all pre-Beatles. Every one played the biggest Harmony he could find - good luck finding a Gibson SJ-200 at that time in suburban Boston.
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

George Seymour wrote:Little do you know Charlie that those appear to be Hoffee Cases, and they go for close to $900 a piece, or maybe you do. :o
I did not know that, not being a banjo aficionado. That more than my entire arsenal. It's a testament to the often-maligned banjo.

I find it funny that right next to the expensive case is a sign posted in a temporary spare tire.

Arson often happens
in discrete locations,
leaving unintentional
remnants behind.
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Charlie McDonald wrote:
George Seymour wrote:Little do you know Charlie that those appear to be Hoffee Cases, and they go for close to $900 a piece, or maybe you do. :o
I did not know that, not being a banjo aficionado. That more than my entire arsenal. It's a testament to the often-maligned banjo.

I find it funny that right next to the expensive case is a sign posted in a temporary spare tire.

Arson often happens
in discrete locations,
leaving unintentional
remnants behind.[/quote

And rarity too Charlie, the Gibson Company made less than 200 original 5 string full flathead banjos between 1929 and 1941. Much more rare than any wrap around. The best ones are truly magical, I have played several in some of my banjo adventures. The Hoffe Cases are carbon fiber, very strong and light, hence the cost. But all realitive when you are potentially protecting an instrument in the six figure range. Check out Joe Spann's book on old Gibson banjos, also Jim Mills has an excellent historical publication
Old Gibson Mastertones
Geoff Noble

Post by Geoff Noble »

Dave Mudgett wrote:And the Brits did eventually overrun the colonists, but took a major pounding in the process. They musta' brought out the bagpipes.
That was always the secret weapon, send in the Black Watch Bagpipers, the old style equivalent of strategic nucleur weapons :lol:

The World Bagpipe Championships were held one year about 1/2 mile from my house, woke up in the morning to the sound of around 100 bagpipe bands tuning up :whoa:

Looked out the window to see if I could spot the 4 riders of the Apocalypse >:-)
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

it is interesting to me that if 50 years old banjo , guitar or mandolin sells for $250 000 thats no news, but God forbid ask $10 000 for a steel guitar, everybody and their uncle gets upset... :?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

George Seymour wrote:Ha, ha fella's! I revere the old Master Tones, Earl and Don Reno played their entire careers on these old flatheads. Bill Keith and Winnie Winston were the real reason I gravitated to the steel guitar, it's all good. Thought some of you would get a kick (or kick) out of banjo overload :)
Don't forget the archtops. I loved the sound of Eddie and Ralph. Matterhorn never sounded the same after Eddie left
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Don't like Bango? Try this.
Image :lol: :(
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

The "keyboard" in the Bunker Hillbillies pic is actually a small xylophone.
And...scary...here's a pic from a session I did awhile back with Herb Pedersen...

Doug Clark

Post by Doug Clark »

Geoff Noble wrote:
Dave Mudgett wrote:And the Brits did eventually overrun the colonists, but took a major pounding in the process. They musta' brought out the bagpipes.
That was always the secret weapon, send in the Black Watch Bagpipers, the old style equivalent of strategic nucleur weapons :lol:
Yup. I think it was in WW I, because the opposing forces were stalemated in their trenches. But a lone piper got up and started playing something, and the Brits came rushing out and kicked enemy butt. I think the source I read (long time ago) said the piper played "Cock o' the Walk," but I can't find anything about such a song from that era.

"A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes--but doesn't." :mrgreen:
Doug Clark

Post by Doug Clark »

Skip Edwards wrote:The "keyboard" in the Bunker Hillbillies pic is actually a small xylophone.
Ah ha; learned something new today.
Now I can goof off for the rest of the day. :wink: