MSA Classic D10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ed Boyd

MSA Classic D10

Post by Ed Boyd »

Hello

I've played lap and console steels but have never had pedals. I don't know anything about the mechanics. The closest I have gotten are the benders on my Teles lol.

I would like to get something I never need to upgrade and something I can sell in a few months if I can't figure it out. I just want to play at home. I'm a piano player by trade.

Are there any pitfalls for a newbie with a MSA Classic D10, 8+4, Emmons' Setup ?

Thanks
Dave Diehl

Post by Dave Diehl »

Ed. Those guitars are solid as a rock. I have one and it's a really nice dependable guitar. It is a little heavier than many of the others but I consider that a good trait because when you push a pedal or knee lever, it holds its place and don't rock like others. So, you will not go wrong at all with an MSA Classic.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

You can't buy a better built or more dependable pedal steel than an MSA Classic... It will outlive you, your children, and their children... Parts are easy to get, and are very reasonable as well, and everyone can fix them which almost never happens anyway... Plus they play beautifully and sound good.... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

Thanks a lot. I didn't want to get something that would need an engineering degree to change strings when something else would be easier to understand.

Maintaining the hardware worries me more than learning how to play. That looks like a lot of machinery underneath the guitar. :lol:

Thanks again.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Where in Illinois are you? If near I 70 I could look at it.
These things are indeed rock solid. Unlikely to go wrong, easy to fix if they do
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

The guitar would be an online purchase. The guitar is in Tennessee. I'm in Springfield.

What I need is to find a teacher that can show me how to take care of the guitar. If all changers and hardware are pretty much standardized then I won't worry so much. I was mostly worried about operator error.

Thanks
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Absolutely great guitar! A D-10 classic is an excellent choice. Tenn.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Pressing the wrong pedals or levers may make it sound bad until you release them, but it won't break anything, if that is what you meant by "operator error".

............Pat
Paul Wade

msa -d10

Post by Paul Wade »

ED,

here you go for lessons and setup
http://www.corsonmusic.com/guitars.html

i played msa d-10 for 20 years great guitars

p.w
Ed Boyd

Post by Ed Boyd »

Thanks.

I drive by that store quite a bit but have never stopped there. My son is going to school in Champaign and lives just a block off University Ave on 3rd. I just thought it was another guitar shop.

Thanks again.
Donnie Southers

Msa D10

Post by Donnie Southers »

Ed, like yourself I just purchased a MSA D10 Classic. Yes as many of these being around 40 yrs old they could always need a little love. To all ya folks that are vetrans of the pedal steel does anyone know a good local shop in Ohio? I'd really like to have it gone through and adjusted. Also 2 more knee levers. My biggest question which is one seems is a popular one is " what year is it?" serial# is 2C389. Does that mean anything to someone in the know?
Last edited by Donnie Southers on 12 Mar 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Where in Ohio? There are several people in Columbus and Cleveland, and Dick Sexton is over in Eaton. If you're along 70, I can pick it up, take it home and bring it back the next week (I'm a trucker, traveling along that way several times a week)
Donnie Southers

Msa D10

Lane, that is really great to hear! Actually I am just S.E. of Columbus, in Lancaster.
Deane Cahoon

Re: Msa D10

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Donnie Southers wrote: My biggest question which is one seems is a popular one is " what year is it?" serial# is 20389. Does that mean anything to someone in the know?
Take another look at your serial #. I think that it should be 2C389.
There is another thread that dealt with MSA serial #, I would search for that and read, someone from MSA had answered many requests, you will get a ballpark date from all the replies.
Very early 1970s would be my guess.
MSA Classic D12 project, now an SD12, my 1st PSG. Hilton pedal.
1979 Carvin CM130 guitar (bought new with paper route money), Peavey Mace and Line 6 Spider amps.
Donnie Southers

Deane, You are correct. It is ser# 2c389 My bad...
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you send the serial number in a pm or email to either Mitchell Smithey or (dangit. Forgot the other cat's name), and they'll tell you the completion date and the first purchaser, if known.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

SN 2C389 sounds like an early '73 model.
Donnie Southers

Donny, What stroke of fate to hear from someone with the same 1st name ! Mitchell from Msa says same that it is more than likely a 73. Good call!