Got the Old Girl Home Again

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Greg Johnson

Got the Old Girl Home Again

Post by Greg Johnson »

The old girl is finally back home. New lever setup and action, and a complete under carriage rework, a set of new live steel strings remounted pickup and a general reconditioning by the great player and engineer Charlie McVay Jr and she is playing and sounding great Special thanks to Charlie for that new lick too. Lol. Be taking her on the road this week. :)

MSA CLassic SD-10
92 Emmons LII
79 Super Pro
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Oooh Nice, I have had a couple of those great rock solid and killer guitars....I always put George l's in mine, that guitar can honk!!! :)
A.K.A Chappy.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

My 12 came alive with a Tonealigner. I'm sold on Bob's pickups.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Tommy Auldridge

Wow. It looks brand new again.

Post by Tommy Auldridge »

Greg: That really looks nice. I used to have one like that, except it was wood grain mica instead of black. It was a great steel, and I'm sorry I sold it 20 some years ago. I particularly liked the mechanics of the way everything worked. Tommy......
Allan Jirik

Post by Allan Jirik »

By "under carriage rework" do you mean an upgrade to modern mechanics? I'm thinking of having my '74 MSA gutted and re-fitted. Don't know who to approach about such a project. Thanks :-)
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I don't think it would need a lot of stuff replaced. Just clean everything, replace the nylon bushings.
Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson »

Hey Tommy good to hear from you.

Allen, no it was not a complete rebuild. Just added 2 levers and cleaned and replaced some worn out parts. It still plays a little stiff compared to the newer guitars but oh so sweet.

Larry, I put a E-66 in mine and it came alive.

Lane you are correct sir.
MSA CLassic SD-10
92 Emmons LII
79 Super Pro
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

Allan Jirik wrote:By "under carriage rework" do you mean an upgrade to modern mechanics? I'm thinking of having my '74 MSA gutted and re-fitted.
i don't think i'd do that.....a major project!
Deane Cahoon

Pickups

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Do the upgraded pickups you all mention fit in the stock cavity of the original single coil? I have my D12 stripped down, buffed and puffed and almost ready to reassemble; maybe I should add a new pu while I'm in there spending my $ :)?
MSA Classic D12 project, now an SD12, my 1st PSG. Hilton pedal.
1979 Carvin CM130 guitar (bought new with paper route money), Peavey Mace and Line 6 Spider amps.
Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson »

Deane the E-66 fit my easily.
MSA CLassic SD-10
92 Emmons LII
79 Super Pro
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Deane Cahoon

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Greg Johnson wrote:Deane the E-66 fit my easily.
Thanks Greg. Sharp guitar, btw.
Can't wait to get mine going but I'm taking my time to do it up nice, plus all the competition from my 'honey do' list.
1979 Carvin CM130 guitar (bought new with paper route money), Peavey Mace and Line 6 Spider amps.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Just make sure you get the wide mount. There are two mounting standards for pickups. Narrow mount have the screws on the ends (Mullen, Bud and I assume Show Pro and Jackson), while the wide mount has the screws on the sides (Zum, MSA, Fessy, Rains, Emmons and almost everyone else). Some have the mounting plate too wide for the cavity, but a file or coarse sandpaper can trim it right down.
Deane Cahoon

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Lane Gray wrote:Just make sure you get the wide mount. There are two mounting standards for pickups. Narrow mount have the screws on the ends (Mullen, Bud and I assume Show Pro and Jackson), while the wide mount has the screws on the sides (Zum, MSA, Fessy, Rains, Emmons and almost everyone else). Some have the mounting plate too wide for the cavity, but a file or coarse sandpaper can trim it right down.
Thanks for the info, Lane.
Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson »

Yes Lane is correct.
MSA CLassic SD-10
92 Emmons LII
79 Super Pro
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Larry Bressington

Mine was a 1974 that came with single coils, I had to route out the cavity with a drem to fit the E66, otherwise you are stuck with the originals...Recce Anderson explained that to me via email and said it was the most popular mod to that guitar series.

The wide mount pick-ups came in later years I believe, maybe 1976???
A.K.A Chappy.
Deane Cahoon

Post by Deane Cahoon »

Larry Bressington wrote:Mine was a 1974 that came with single coils, I had to route out the cavity with a drem to fit the E66, otherwise you are stuck with the originals...Recce Anderson explained that to me via email and said it was the most popular mod to that guitar series.

The wide mount pick-ups came in later years I believe, maybe 1976???
Thanks Larry. Mine is older than 74, I believe. My serial number is 2C1631. It has single coils.

Greg, sorry to have hijacked your post here...
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I think it's easier to reduce the mounting plate than rout the guitar
Larry Bressington

Lane...The pick-up won't fit in the slot as the now standard size narrow mount pick-up's are wider. Dremel will be required, then you can lay some black paint on the inside of the wood to colour the raw wood to match the pick up. I don't remember there being a mount plate, pick up screwed straight to the deck if i remember or at least is was abandoned to install the E66, it's been a while.

It's not hard to do, draw a nice straight line with a felt pen and go (nice and slow as Reece said).
A.K.A Chappy.
Greg Johnson

Post by Greg Johnson »

My E-66 had no mounting plate and it did fit the hole so I did not have to route it. However instead of drilling a new wire hole I placed a small piece of felt about 1/8th inch under the pickup and screwed it in place. No adjustment needed.
MSA CLassic SD-10
92 Emmons LII
79 Super Pro
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Allan Jirik wrote:By "under carriage rework" do you mean an upgrade to modern mechanics? I'm thinking of having my '74 MSA gutted and re-fitted. Don't know who to approach about such a project. Thanks :-)
Russ Wever located in Illinois. He is probably the closest guy to you who can do it.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin