Google has stopped updates .

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

james sluder

Google has stopped updates .

Post by james sluder »

I had a top of screen message that Chrome will stop updates for Visa in a couple weeks . I have Vista ,window's 8.1 Chrome browzer .

Do i go to another browzer ?? .

Any suggestions would be fine. Thanks.

Jim.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

You can still use Mozilla's Firefox browser. It even supports Windows XP and Linux as well as Android devices.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
james sluder

Thanks

Post by james sluder »

Thanks Wiz.I guess i just download it & install it ??
I not really sure how it work's ..Then un-install Chrome ?? . Is that how it works ?? .

Thanks a bunch,,I'll wait a couple of days untill im sure i know what im doing !
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I use Chrome and never saw that message.

Firefox - I remember just downloading and installing with no special things to do, unless you were going to add some add-ons, but I think that is after you install Firefox.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

Richard Sinkler wrote:I use Chrome and never saw that message.
Me too, and me neither. But when ya get stuck in the ante-deluvian era, and don't see any percentage in keeping stuff up to date, you get this kind of thing.
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

I got the message on my computer this morning too.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Wiz Feinberg

Re: Thanks

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

james sluder wrote:Thanks Wiz.I guess i just download it & install it ??
I not really sure how it work's ..Then un-install Chrome ?? . Is that how it works ?? .

Thanks a bunch,,I'll wait a couple of days untill im sure i know what im doing !
Download and install Firefox (latest desktop version). Accept the offers to create a desktop icon and to import bookmarks, cookies and saved logins from Chrome. Select yes when asked if you want to make Firefox your default browser.

Then uninstall Chrome.

You can have Firefox open to the last open tabs and also to only load one tab at a time, as you select them.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Today, we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I use Win 7 & Win10 (if can get it installed again). That's probably why I didn't get the notice.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

The issue for me is that I use Google drive quite a bit and Chrome is the best browser for up loading folders. I also use pro tools 9 and I don't want to screw that up and end up in the new world order of Avid. I currently use mac os10.6 and everything I use works well.

Maybe I'll use Firefox and just fire up an old Chrome browser when I need it for uploading.

It's amazing to watch things like iPhoto and iTunes upgrade themselves into useless beasts. Maybe the tarpits are starting to call Chrome.
Bob