String Gauge/tuning suggestion for new Lap Steel player

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Evans

String Gauge/tuning suggestion for new Lap Steel player

Post by Mark Evans »

Greetings!'
New member to the forum altho I admit I spent some time prowling, collecting info.

I've been playing playing weissenborn style lap steel for the past year or more. Love it! I've been playing in open D and G, and on the baritone weiss, a step down (C and F), and dabbling in minor and maj 7 by twiddling a string down a step or so.
This is familiar to me as I've played some spanish style bottleneck in those open tunings. I play mostly DIY bluesy/folksy/rocky/whatever styles.

I am taking delivery of a '59 Supro Lap Steel. Can't wait!
Not sure of the strings/tuning that are on there... so my question is:

Given my background, what do the lap style players suggest I start with on the electric side? Should I stick with D/G in a more rocking/blues mode (electric?) or branch into the other tunings? (6's?) I don't see myself too interested in Hawaiian or country swing (no offense to any one) at this time.

Scale appears to measure 23" or perhaps a shade less.

So just casting out there for suggestions on both tunings and then brand or gauge of strings to use.

I have a Fishman Loudbox mini, but I am thinking I might spring for a Roland Cube 40

thanks for all the help!
this is the Supro

Last edited by Mark Evans on 30 Jan 2016 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Pogreba Baritone 'Weissenheimer
Lazy River mahogany standard Weiss
Lazy River ‘Tear Drop” weissenborn
Larrivee OM5
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

I'm assuming it's a 6-stringer?

What is the scale length?

Personally, I would do Open E, familiar territory to you as you indicate that you want to play the same stuff on electric as Weiss.

As to gauges, here's a chart:
http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php

There's an Ernie Ball string chart with scale lengths that I can't find at the moment.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Ah yes, scale.
I will check the scale length when it arrives at work today.
It is a 6 string lap

E sounds intriguing
Larrivee OM5
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

Play the one that suits you. Let us know which one you like the best. I am happy for you. :mrgreen:
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

With a good deal of Aguirre-like exploration, buried in b0b's personal site is this master string gauge guide:

http://www.b0b.com/infoedu/gauges.htm

It tends to run on the heavy side - maybe originated for 22.5" scsle lengths? But it's still right for the relative gauges. Like, if you go with a E string that's .003" lighter, they should all be proportionately reduced. I cut and pasted it to clean it up a bit, printed some and stuck them all over. There's a lot of other stuff out there - GHS has a comparative tension guide that may be good for peddlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dbBur_bSUE
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

thanks for the suggestions so far... the strings on it look like some really old nickel set. Think I'll twist them up and down to try and then seek out some new ones (based more or less on the key I'll be playing in)

something I forgot to mention in my top post... and, of course, I reckon it's a matter of preference...

I've been 'steelin' the weissenborns with tone bars (Shubb, Beard, EG Smith). will I see more use for a bullet bar with the electric lap steel? Briefly, I tried a bullet bar on the Weiss and it felt unwieldy.
Larrivee OM5
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Here are some string gauge resources:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=264468
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

Apart from the Hawaiian or country swing sound, Mark, there's an awful lot you can play in 6th tunings. Pretty well everything, in fact. The main advantage of the 6th tunings is having various full minor or major chord inversions in a straight bar position. I enjoy playing open G or D or GBDGBD Weissenborn but I like those full minor chords even more. I've only been playing five years or so and started with C6 tuning (CEGACE)-- and Doug Beaumier's great tablature books. I've come to prefer A6, which you can easily retune from a C6 set of strings.

As for bullet nose bars, for me they work better for everything -- especially when single noting. You want one the right size for your hand. Bet you'll enjoy that guitar. Good luck with your playing.

ps And for strings, I've been happy with what you can order here through the Forum.
http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categ ... el-guitar/
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
Mike OMalley

Post by Mike OMalley »

I'm also pretty new to steel. I was never a big fan of Western swing: liked it ok but not a big fan, know nothing at all about Hawaiin music. C6 tuning for me at first was just like "wow! Western swing!! So that's how they did that stuff!!" But that's not all it does. It's a good tuning because it's got a lot of harmonic potential, but it gets me a way from familiar conventional guitar tunings/approaches. I like the lap steel because its NOT like the ol' strat or les paul, and you might find C6 really interesting for that reason.
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Mike OMalley wrote:I'm also pretty new to steel. I was never a big fan of Western swing: liked it ok but not a big fan, know nothing at all about Hawaiin music. C6 tuning for me at first was just like "wow! Western swing!! So that's how they did that stuff!!" But that's not all it does. It's a good tuning because it's got a lot of harmonic potential, but it gets me a way from familiar conventional guitar tunings/approaches. I like the lap steel because its NOT like the ol' strat or les paul, and you might find C6 really interesting for that reason.
I appreciate this info. I now remember that with one of the early weissenborns I got (a Lazy River) I received a DVD with Steve Dawson, and I think it was teaching the C6 tuning. I think it might be a good idea to have a stringed thing that comes from a different angle. So I guess I'll aim for some C6 appropriate string gauge set (as this can be retuned to A6?)

I have to wait til tomorrow AM to plug this in. so hard to wait.
As much as I'd like an old tube amp, I think I might angle for the Roland Cube 40GX as its in my budget and several lap players are pleased with it. the Fishman Acoustic might not give me enough 'dirt'
Larrivee OM5
Barbara Berg

Supro

Post by Barbara Berg »

Hey Mark,
I'm not answering your question, but when I seen your Supro I laughed. That was my first lap in the 50's I took lessons on, open A tuning. I still have it and play all songs from 50 plus years ago. I even have my Supro tube amp. Hope you enjoy playing it, I have! I now have a 1956 Fender, and a 1946 Ric I play C6 tuning, it's been a good tuning for me!
Supro 1956, Rick 1946, Fender 1956, BR9 Gibson,Galveston steel Resonator. On my tombstone, Pardon me if I don't get up!
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

I found the link to the Ernie Ball String Gauge chart that also lists various scale lengths. Click on the link and it's the 3rd post down:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... auge+chart

I'm pretty sure that the Steve Dawson video mentioned is not the C6 as most here play it. IIRC, it's more of a baritone tuning (lower than standard E tuning).
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Barbara: Glad I could take you thru the past with my old Supro!

Got a chance to mess around with the new/old Supro toy.
Bam! Those old Pickups are the bomb! Wow what a sound.

I am definitely going to work the C6 tuning (CEGACE)
Even twisted a couple strings up/down to make it A6. Great tones and, as mentioned, some accessible straight chording options

I swapped out a couple strings to make the gauges more appropriate (lighter gauges), and will order up some C6 specific sets.

sounds okay thru my Fishman Loudbox mini, but I think it would sound better thru another amp that is NOT acoustically tuned.

Feel like a kid in a candy store. I've found a couple youtube vids for basics. I will seek out links for chord/tab charts etc.
the plastic cover over the PU is cracked - the only major condition issue. Not huge at all.
Larrivee OM5
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

Ok I'll throw in my 2 cents...
I had a guitar just like that, Those valco pickups sound great! I like heavy strings, for more volume better tone and pitch stability.
So I'd Go with C6th:
Hi to Low-
E .015
C .020p
A .024
G .030
E .036
C .040

I usually play A6th same gauges:

Hi to Low-
E .015
C# .020p
A .024
F# .030
E .036
C# .040
Dom

:) :) :)
Mark Evans

Post by Mark Evans »

Dom
Thanks for the gauge list. I like slightly heavier strings on my Weiss to kick up the tone too. Do I assume this is a custom set? Or can one get a pre packed set with these sizes?
Tanks!
Mark
Dom Franco wrote:Ok I'll throw in my 2 cents...
I had a guitar just like that, Those valco pickups sound great! I like heavy strings, for more volume better tone and pitch stability.
So I'd Go with C6th:
Hi to Low-
E .015
C .020p
A .024
G .030
E .036
C .040

I usually play A6th same gauges:

Hi to Low-
E .015
C# .020p
A .024
F# .030
E .036
C# .040
Dom

:) :) :)
Larrivee OM5
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

There is no set with these gauges that I know of.
I buy electric guitar strings when they are on sale cheap, and add individual strings as needed.
Dom