Great Playing with Palm Pedals!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dom Franco

Great Playing with Palm Pedals!

Post by Dom Franco »

Here's some wonderful playing I just came across. This makes me want to explore the use of palm benders again!
Dom

https://www.facebook.com/luke.cyrus/vid ... 851830040/
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

The guy has some real technique to begin with--pulling strings behind the bar--and to add pedals, very convincing sound. Great, thanks, Dom.
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

I can look at this performance in [3] ways.

1] I could practice more & more & more. until the cows come home and I still could not do what this player does. Although that palm pedal interest me.

2] I could put my equipment up for sale on the FORUM, and that [aint] going to happen, not yet.

3] I could go back and listed again and appreciate the talent this man has and enjoy the moment.

Let me see I think I'll choose #[3] then I'll go and do some playing & maybe practice.
Jim Wilmoth

Post by Jim Wilmoth »

Anyone want to gift me financial wherewithal to try these out :-P
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

His playing with the palm levers sounds great! I like the hairy tone, too.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

A lot of people agree. He has almost 800 Facebook shares. Very tasteful playing, beautifully executed.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 20 Feb 2016 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I think it's a half-assed faux pedal steel. It would be easier to play and sound much better on pedal steel, even by a beginner. His intonation is mediocre, vibrato terrible and overall tone, without finger picks is dull. Sorry but I don't know what all the fuss is about.
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Nice playing. When he "digs in", he gets some nice "hair" to his tone.
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

Cartwright:

I am sorry that you are having a bad day. No fuss here.

I am an accomplished Pedal Steel player. But I choose not to lug around my Shobud LDG to solo gigs 3 or 4 times a week.

The prospect of adding a few pedal licks to my arsenal on lap steel is exciting.

Please post a video of your own playing with picks and perfect intonation and the correct amount of vibrato.

Dom :eek:
Joe Elk

Post by Joe Elk »

Well said Dom and it needed to be said.
Joe Elk
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

I'm not a fan of the palm levers on a lap steel, especially when the palm levers are overworked, to pull off gimmicky cliche licks. But I think this approach was well executed, had a lot of expression, and was artistic.

I enjoyed the player and his non trad styling's. If this was a video of a non pedal guy playing Crazy Arms with levers I would not have lasted 30 seconds in.

Were all welcome to our own opinions.
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

I have seen this guy a few times on-line and I always enjoy it - the reason? Todd hit the nail on the head
"was well executed, had a lot of expression, and was artistic."
Be it a carrot clarinet, spoons, or whatever, isn't that the base line for any musical pursuit? Thanks for posting Dom. [/quote]
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

When i was starting off on lap steel, I would have gone nuts for the idea of palm pedals. Now that I have been playing for a number of years and have a sense of where I am going, it's not appealing to me. However, there is a ton of music that could make use of this sound--yes, it is half-baked pedal steel, but when pedal steel players try to do the lap steel thing, it doesn't really work, either. So there is always a compromise.

The goal is just to be the best at sounding the way you want to. I think the video is a good example of showing something that he is really good at. His use of the levers is pretty spot on, the rest is not as polished, but so what?
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Palm levers are just another tool to help the music inside find its way out. They are not for everyone and like anything, can be overused and or poorly implemented. In the right hands, and used tastefully like Don's link, they can add a great dimension to the tune.

Here is another example of what I think shows how benders can be used tastefully. Granted, I'm highly biased as its one of my guitars, but I think Scotty does a great job of making her sing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv6glTOv1Ts

Again, its just another tool ... its all about how you use it.
Russell Adkins

Post by Russell Adkins »

how could anyone not like this , it don't make any diff what it is as long as it sounds good I like it, some people will never get it lol
Mike OMalley

Post by Mike OMalley »

Very nicely and expressively played. Makes the palm levers seem like tools and not gimmicks. It's not obviously in any one tradition which is irritating if you are committed to a specific style.
Joseph Carlson

Post by Joseph Carlson »

I thought that was pretty great. Really nice feel and expression trump technique any day in my book.
Roy Thomson

Post by Roy Thomson »

Thanks for posting Dom! This guy is a natural and does a fine job. "Catchy" stuff! Hope to hear more.
Custom Tabs Various Tunings
Courses Lap Steel, Pedal Steel
Vladimir Sorokin

Post by Vladimir Sorokin »

Thanks for sharing, Dom!
Besides all, the GBDf#ad tuning is very useful - he can play Open G, Open D and Open G6 licks if needed! I'm still experimenting with my Rukavina lapsteel w/multibenders, and I know what tuning I will try out tomorrow ))
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

I saw a video of this guy playing a nice version of "Harvest Moon" and while I liked it, I made the same comment about how pedal steel might be a better choice.

This one, I think, better shows off the advantages of playing the lap, with the benders.