Need help figuring out lick

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jason Bergeron

Need help figuring out lick

Post by Jason Bergeron »

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to play the lick on Brooks & Dunn's "Ain't Nothing 'Bout You"

I can only play by ear, so if I can figure out what key it's in, I may be able to figure it out. It sounds very simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7m10x1geo

My setup is Emmons.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sho~Bud Super Pro, Peavey Nashville 400
©Jason Bergeron
Tim Russell

Post by Tim Russell »

Online tabs say the intro is A minor/ E Minor. The intro is a B & C pedal lick.

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/brooks ... -7889.html
Sierra Crown D-10
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

We play this song a lot. The key is C. The intro is Am, F, C, G. I do it all at the 15th fret Am position between no pedals and b&c pedals. First part strings 4,5 6. Second part string 3,4 5 all at the same fret, same pedals, but opposite the first lick. I think. I can't get to my guitar at the moment. That seems to be what the steel is doing against the guitar part keeping the changes true. Great song. Good luck with it.
Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 12 Jan 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Bergeron

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Thanks so very much!

I don't mess with E9th very much, since my main focus is Cajun music. Most of what I've learned to play is all with the G7th tuning, and doesn't require much pedal work...but lately I've been experimenting with the pedals to add a little flavor! It's cool because I have little knowledge in music....and yet if I get the song in my head, eventually I figure it out!
©Jason Bergeron
Mark S. Miller

Post by Mark S. Miller »

Hear is my take on this song key of C chords C G AM F. (Lick) 15 fret Foot over B C Pedals pick string 5 push both B C pick string 4 Repeat this once more (if easier leave pedals b c down and pick 5 then 4. 2nd part b c pedals down pick string 3 then 4 then 3 leave pedals off. Hope this works for you.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Don't know 'nuthin 'bout the G7 Cajun tuning so can't point you toward any positions there, but I think the hook chords I posted are correct for the tune. Hope you work it out to your satisfaction.
Dale Foreman

G7 Tuning

Post by Dale Foreman »

Ok. Which neck do you have setup for you open G7 tuning? I think you are saying you are experimenting with your E9 tuning and you say it's setup for Emmons? Correct? I know that most Cajun players are different in how they setup the turnings.You should be able to play this with Emmons setup. The only thing I hear that you may not have is a pedal or lever to raise th 1sr G# to F#.
Rittenberry Prestige(2)
Jason Bergeron

Re: G7 Tuning

Post by Jason Bergeron »

Dale Foreman wrote:Ok. Which neck do you have setup for you open G7 tuning? I think you are saying you are experimenting with your E9 tuning and you say it's setup for Emmons? Correct? I know that most Cajun players are different in how they setup the turnings.You should be able to play this with Emmons setup. The only thing I hear that you may not have is a pedal or lever to raise th 1sr G# to F#.
The back neck is my G7th. You are correct about the front neck being my E9th with the Emmons set up. My first string for the g7th, which is G, changes to F# with my RNL. I'm not sure if I can get that lick with the G7th tuning which is why I was experimenting with the E9th neck.
©Jason Bergeron