Couldn't Resist :)

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

George Seymour

Couldn't Resist :)

Post by George Seymour »

You think Wrap Arounds are expensive..."You ain't seen nothing yet"...looking at well over a million dollars in...um...banjos :)

Another missed Banjo Thon, maybe next year!
Old Emmons D-10's & Wrap Resound 65, Standel amps!
Old Gibson Mastertones
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

I picture one of those insurance company ads...someone stumbles getting up from the table (or b0b does it deliberately!) and slams into one of them and the domino effect knocks over the rest! Oops...
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

the tape is to keep people from leaving any more banjos
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

That's right. One time I parked my car downtown and I had a banjo in the back seat. Someone smashed the window and threw another banjo in.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Nice one Ian :) It started out as a picking thing when they posted "Clean Fill Wanted". Unfortunately, now they need to put up the "No Dumping" sign.
Jerry Overstreet

Re: Couldn't Resist :)

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

George Seymour wrote:...looking at well over a million dollars in...um...banjos :)
:whoa: That must be all of them then. Would have been a good time to drop a bomb on the building and rid the world of the things. ;-)

Sorry, don't really have anything against banjos...wish I could play one, it's just that they're such an easy target. :)
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Ha, ha fella's! I revere the old Master Tones, Earl and Don Reno played their entire careers on these old flatheads. Bill Keith and Winnie Winston were the real reason I gravitated to the steel guitar, it's all good. Thought some of you would get a kick (or kick) out of banjo overload :)
Old Gibson Mastertones
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

George Seymour wrote:Ha, ha fella's! I revere the old Master Tones, Earl and Don Reno played their entire careers on these old flatheads. Bill Keith and Winnie Winston were the real reason I gravitated to the steel guitar, it's all good. Thought some of you would get a kick (or kick) out of banjo overload :)
Can you imagine the racket that would make if all those banjos were played at the same time? Actually, Don played a Stelling in his later years. He was my favorite. He was one of the first professional musicians I met when I started playing out. Such a nice guy too! Bill Keith got everyone attention when he played Sailors Hornpipe with Bill Monroe. The chromatic playing was unheard of at the time. That's when my old boss Del McCoury moved from banjo to guitar. I believe it all worked out for the best.

RC
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Yes Rick, I know Don played a Stelling in later years, I believe a Golden Cross. I don't believe it could ever really replace "Nellie" ironic Earl owned Nellie and Don owned Earls Granada. Rob McCoury is my favorite player, just great.
And...you gotta' play Reno Style, never got the accolades he deserved
And another tid bit I just remembered, when I first started on banjo in 1976, I took lessons for a short time from a fella that bought his Tb-7 from underneath Bill, they were both in talks about the same banjo, obviously Bill found another. I could have bought my banjo teachers TT but, was too busy chasing women, drinking beer and playing my Stelling Bell Flower, eventually it ended up at Ghruns and of all people Jerry Garcia bought it!
Strike a pick to it was like a hammer to a steel rail.
Last edited by George Seymour on 11 Jan 2016 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Gibson Mastertones
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

In the spirit of full disclosure, George, (I feel like I'm at a rehab meeting!) I have a Crafters of Tennessee "Tennessee Classic Flathead" which I love :)
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Hey Jeff
I had one of those, sleepers really. Great banjos. I've got old Mastertones, couple of Stellings, and not to be dismissed old Emmons , bolts, cuts and a cut fatback
I see you are from NH, I play with a group that plays often at the Brigewater Inn, Bristol and the new Queens Pub in MAnchester. Heck we're almost neighbors. :D
Geo.
Old Gibson Mastertones
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Yeah, I was just funnin' you guys. I have good friends and acquaintances who are fine banjo players. I really like Sammy Shelor, Scruggs of course and many others. One of my friends has a very nice old Mastertone.

I know you can drop a few K on a nice one.
I met Bill Sullivan, since passed on, founder of First Quality Music several years ago who was a fine builder of banjos who built the business from the ground up.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

b0b wrote:I can't tell if the yellow tape says "Caution" or "Crime Scene - Do Not Enter". :eek:
"CAUTION - HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED" :lol:
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:Yeah, I was just funnin' you guys. I have good friends and acquaintances who are fine banjo players. I really like Sammy Shelor, Scruggs of course and many others. One of my friends has a very nice old Mastertone.

I know you can drop a few K on a nice one.
I met Bill Sullivan, since passed on, founder of First Quality Music several years ago who was a fine builder of banjos who built the business from the ground up.
Jerry, I knew Bill quite well, he converted one of my 11 and style 2. Unfortunately he had the passion for the business, I'm not sure how FQM is doing now. Had a few blue grass adventure jams out in Fairdale at the Bull Dog Cafe. And that was an adventure, thank God for Garmin😀
PS: a few K times a few more, the last time I was at Banjo Thon I played a original five string flathead Granada that was in the same batch as Earls and the asking price was 250K General public very rarely heard about these transactions
Old Gibson Mastertones
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Hey George, that's quite a stable of personal instruments you have...you've got good taste! In this neck of the woods, Bristol is just a stone's throw away (about 30 miles with a good arm haha). Maybe I'll catch you guys at the Bridgewater Inn some nite...what's the name of your group?
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Can you imagine the racket that would make if all those banjos were played at the same time?
Yes, it would probably sound like this band... clearly a case of child abuse here!

George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Jeff Garden wrote:Hey George, that's quite a stable of personal instruments you have...you've got good taste! In this neck of the woods, Bristol is just a stone's throw away (about 30 miles with a good arm haha). Maybe I'll catch you guys at the Bridgewater Inn some nite...what's the name of your group?
It's called Express Revival, they will be there this coming Saturday, I'm juggling 3 bands at the moment and have another commitment Saturday night...for the time being they seem to put up with it. Long ride for me...
Old Gibson Mastertones
George Seymour

Post by George Seymour »

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Can you imagine the racket that would make if all those banjos were played at the same time?
Yes, it would probably sound like this band... clearly a case of child abuse here!

Replace that picture with that many bag pipes and I'll show you abuse. Heard and saw just that scenario last New Years for first Night....Yikes!
Old Gibson Mastertones
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Doug, all that old photo needs is a drill sergeant to bark out the commands. "LLLLEFT SHOULDERRRR.....BANJOS! PRRREEESENT.....STRINGS!" :lol:
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

What a cool looking bass! I want it
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

It's supposed to say "Your room is right here, Maestro."
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Ian Worley wrote:What a cool looking bass! I want it
I have seen one of those old Gibson basses; very cool.
Didn't know the stand came out the side.

FIRE SALE
Doug Clark

Post by Doug Clark »

Doug Beaumier wrote:Yes, it would probably sound like this band... clearly a case of child abuse here!
Whoa, wicked flashback there. Maybe one or two of the guys from MA will remember "the Bunker Hillbillies." (I can't seem to post the best image I found, just the link to the Northeastern University site where it's hosted.)
https://repository.library.northeastern ... neu:191239

This page says they were established in 1939: http://charlestownbridge.com/2015/04/21 ... illbillies
I think it's a keyboard rather than a steel on the stand (the site has at least one other photo of them performing), but maybe it's a non-pedal type.

They even jammed with Richard Nixon at the White House in 1969.
Apparently a number of them still play, and get together occasionally to do some of the old songs.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Ah, I get it... Bunker Hill.. billies, from Boston.

Image :wink: