Tone Bar question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jimmy Prince

Tone Bar question

Post by Jimmy Prince »

Iam going to be learning lap steel real soon. should I learn with a Round type bullet tone bar or one of thoses Shubb sp2 or stevens type?
Jimmy Prince
Nathan Laudenbach

Post by Nathan Laudenbach »

Each bar can present some challenges. Try them all, pick the one that's most comfortable and don't look back.
Bill Sinclair

Post by Bill Sinclair »

As I recall, you're planning to try pedal steel someday so you should probably get used to a bullet bar. The Dunlop 919 (3/4" X 2-3/4")is an inexpensive choice for six string lap and even if you find something you like better, it will make a good spare.
Dustin Kleingartner

Post by Dustin Kleingartner »

I play 6 string lap steel right now and I started with a "Lap Dawg" bar, I thought it worked great, I found slants to be pretty easy for me with that bar.
Then I switched to a Dunlop 920 bullet bar. I plan to eventually start playing a guitar with pedals, so I wanted to get used to a full-size bar. I say go right for the 920. I realize it's bigger than normal for a 6 string, but I don't have any problems. My slants took some adjusting, but now it feels natural. I really need the weight of the 920, it just feels right. I found mine on amazon for under $20 somehow.
Proud parent of a good dog.
George Piburn

Round Tone Bar

Post by George Piburn »

Round
Last edited by George Piburn on 6 Jan 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Nero

Post by Adam Nero »

A lot of people who know a lot might disagree with me, but it just seems to me, in my opinion, that bullet bars are what steel guitar players should use.
2 cheap dobros, several weird old lap steels, and one lifelong ticket to ride on the pedal steel struggle bus.
Adam Nero

Post by Adam Nero »

Dustin Kleingartner wrote:I play 6 string lap steel right now and I started with a "Lap Dawg" bar, I thought it worked great, I found slants to be pretty easy for me with that bar.
Then I switched to a Dunlop 920 bullet bar. I plan to eventually start playing a guitar with pedals, so I wanted to get used to a full-size bar. I say go right for the 920. I realize it's bigger than normal for a 6 string, but I don't have any problems. My slants took some adjusting, but now it feels natural. I really need the weight of the 920, it just feels right. I found mine on amazon for under $20 somehow.
I use a 920 for pedal steel and I think a 918 for lap and nonpedal.
2 cheap dobros, several weird old lap steels, and one lifelong ticket to ride on the pedal steel struggle bus.
Jimmy Prince

Post by Jimmy Prince »

I just bought a 918 i will see how that works out when I get my steel.
Jimmy Prince