Are You A Curly Chalker C6th Fan?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

It might be easier to ask who isn't a fan of Curly Chalker's C6 work...
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Peter got this right.

Anyone with a passing interest of jazzy sounding steel must love Curly on first listen.

I got a D-10 with an E9 neck on it because it came with the C6 neck as a set.
I played C6 lapsteel, but wanted more power and this was the route,
I then learned E9 because why waste a good neck. Since then I have actually mod'd the E9 neck to play more like the C6 without losing the main country part of it. E69 mebe.

I do like the anecdote about Curly not liking steelers looking under his steel but didn't mind Tal Farlow doing it. Harkens back to the war time steelers partially detuning their necks between sets so no one could steel their tunings while they went out side.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Yes Curly didn't like anyone looking under his steel. Speedy West covered his guitars with a panel to hide what he was doing with pedals.
In '69 at the Dallas steel show at the Longhorn, I walked up to the ShoBud display and nobody was around, and there was Curly's Crossover. This is the time when Curly's copedent had been published with a ? mark under both up lever. So, I got down and pressed each lever to see what moved and found out for myself.
Minutes later in the ballroom, they carried his steel to the bandstand where I had a ringside view of my hero. After which, Jimmy Day did his set and Curly,(being a lefty) picked up a right handed guitar to accompany JD on his fine performance.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

I finally got off the pot I ordered a copy of Cavalcade of Guitars. What a treat is is to listen to these musical monsters stretch out and strut their stuff.
This recording is stacked with most of my favorite players. I enjoyed everyones playing.

Curly, Buddy and Reece really played their hearts out.

I strongly suggest this cd to any jazz fans out there.
Last edited by Quentin Hickey on 15 Dec 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I'm absolutely a huge fan of all of Curly's music !!!

Chris "Tiny" O.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

About 1975, I was listening to the radio after I went to bed one night, I think it was the Bill Mack show that came on at midnight, and he played a steel instrumental "Gentle On My Mind" that literally blew my mind. I had been playing steel for a year or two, but hearing this song cemented my love of the instrument. It took me a few years to find out who was playing, and of course it was Curley. I have been a huge fan of his ever since, and I have every recording I could find of his.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Curley ranks in the top 5 of my all time favorite steel players on C6th and E9th. I heard he was asked one time what a person had to do to be able to play like him. Curley said that he devoted 8 hours a day to practice and the gigs he played were just the fun part. He was extraordinary, to say the least.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

I am a big fan of Curley. I try to listen to everything I can find on him. His chord structures and his tone were one of a kind. Like Buddy Emmons, there will never be another Curley Chalker.