What is the best inexpensive lap steel for students?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

robert kramer

What is the best inexpensive lap steel for students?

Post by robert kramer »

What is the best inexpensive lap steel for students? Thanks in advance for any advice and tips.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I like the Rondo SX series of lap steels. (Search the site for "lap steel" to see the options.)

The Recording King RG-31 and RG-32 steels are good as well.

<b>Edit: changed the link to Recording King.</b>
Last edited by Brad Bechtel on 11 Dec 2015 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Doug Clark

Post by Doug Clark »

I'd been thinking about a Rogue RLS-1, or maybe a used one, but went with the SX Lap 2. I'm pretty happy with it.

The Recording King link came up "404." Looks like it's now http://www.recordingking.com/specialty/lapsteel.
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

I tried a Recording King and thought it was Ok but with any budget brand new lap steel, it will be worth virtually nothing if you want to sell it.

If you can't find a used one for cheap, you can still get nice vintage instruments for the cost of a brand new budget lap steel and it will keep its value if you decide to upgrade.

You can still pick up 40's/50's Gibson BR9 for less than $300 and they are great instruments. I still use mine a lot even though I have since bought multi-neck 8 stringers.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Jeff Mead wrote:...any budget brand new lap steel, it will be worth virtually nothing if you want to sell it. You can still pick up 40's/50's Gibson BR9 for less than $300 and they are great instruments.
Totally agree with Jeff.

In my menagerie are a sunburst BR-3, a black Century, a blue Century, and a blonde Ultratone, all of which:

1) Will undoubtedly retain their value
2) Are infinitely better instruments than most, if not all, current imports
3) Were purchased used within the last few years for under $300.00

It's hard to convince some folks that used is better than new, especially young people. It's too bad, because there are real bargains available in the vintage lap steel guitar market.

The aforementioned Gibsons were not purchased from the estates of little old ladies whose heirs pulled them out from underneath the bed, or found them in the attic. They were not lucky finds at flea markets, yard sales, garage sales, etc.

In fact, anybody reading this missive could have purchased any one of them by outbidding me on eBay.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Yeah, but he's asking about "inexpensive" lap steels. You can buy five Rondo SX lap steels for the same price as your BR-9 (they're on sale right now).
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jeff Mead

Post by Jeff Mead »

Brad Bechtel wrote:Yeah, but he's asking about "inexpensive" lap steels. You can buy five Rondo SX lap steels for the same price as your BR-9 (they're on sale right now).
In my opinion there is a big difference between "inexpensive" and "cheapest".

In my book a professional grade instrument made by Gibson in the 40s for around $300 is inexpensive. If that's too much, old Supros and the like can ne had for less than half that.
Last edited by Jeff Mead on 11 Dec 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Smith

Post by Dennis Smith »

I would vote for a vintage instrument. I got a Gibson BR9 with a hard case off the forum for $250.00. The new ones are throwing money away. No vibe, no sound, crap parts and no resale value. IMHO
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

No doubt the vintage instruments if they have the original or a good replacement pickup sound better and have better resale value. No denying the fun of buying something new, however. The Rondo/SX steels are not junk and can sound pretty good and do represent a good value. Here's my recording of a Rondo lap steel (lap steel part is from 2:40 to 3:52):

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Samples/Kans ... 0Blues.wma

Some pics and review from my web site:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Rondo/Rondo.html
Dennis Smith

Post by Dennis Smith »

With out even looking hard. Guitar Center Vintage Lap steels has 6 under $300 and 16 under $500.
This guitar and amp set is $399.
This is made by Gibson $399.

Not trying to push you, Just trying to help.
Last edited by Dennis Smith on 12 Dec 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Shi

Post by Alex Shi »

Not everybody lives in a place where vintage instruments are available.
Dennis Smith

Post by Dennis Smith »

There available but the shipping fees will kill you. :D
Alex Shi

Post by Alex Shi »

Dennis Smith wrote:There available but the shipping fees will kill you. :D
Exactly. Where I live anything imported over 100.-U$ is subject to custom charges, so if I buy a vintage instrument on ebay shipping plus customs adds about 120,-U$ to the price.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Brad Bechtel wrote:Yeah, but he's asking about "inexpensive" lap steels. You can buy five Rondo SX lap steels for the same price as your BR-9 (they're on sale right now).
1984 Yugo GV, $4,500.00

1984 Porsche 944, $21,440.00

What would you rather have, the Porsche or 5 Yugos?
Jeff Mead wrote:In my opinion there is a big difference between "inexpensive" and "cheapest".
Exactly.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Jeff Mead wrote:In my opinion there is a big difference between "inexpensive" and "cheapest". ...
All great suggestions, but Jeff brings up an important point. Inexpensive can mean different things for different people, its subjective. And sometimes buying the cheapest is not the least expensive in the long run. The good news is that there are lots of decent options to fit most any budget.

Old vs new ... First I'd say that I absolutely love vintage steels and there are a lot of good buys out there on some wonderful instruments. What new players need to know is that often they can take a little TLC to get them back to everyday player status. Not everyone has the expertise or desire to do the work themselves and paying someone to do the work can add up. From the perspective of a new player, that might be a deal / dream killer and end the journey there. All that said, there are some great examples out there and well worth seeking them out.
George Piburn

Epiphone = is the one

Post by George Piburn »

How about these New Epiphone S6 Laps? These were recently discussed on this forum area.

At 250.00 sold in USA by several on line retailers.

From GeorgeBoards point of view, this instrument has won the battle of highest Quality, at the Lowest price point.
Bill Brunt

Post by Bill Brunt »

I would not be afraid of the Rondo. I had one, it sounded great. Even Herb Remington was impressed with it.
I would still be playing it, if I had not bought a Remington 8 string.
...and I wouldn't have bought the Rickenbacker, if I had not gotten a good deal on it.
...and I wouldn't have bought the Melbert, if it hadn't sounded so good.
...and I wouldn't have bought the Magnatone Lyric, if I had not 'needed' two necks!

My point?
Buy what is in your budget, if it has been recommended by players.

If you find out you enjoy it, it probably won't be your last.

I have a feeling I won't buy my last lap steel until they put me away in my case.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Thanks very much to everyone for all your informative replies. We bought two Hadean Labradoodle DLX 2TS Lap Steels recommended by Mr. Bechtal. There are to be used by our education department's outreach program to be taken to local middle schools along with other instruments to played by students while they are being taught about country music.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product8034.html

We needed to spend as little as possible while still having an instrument that would work right out of the box. The Hadean fit the bill. Thanks again for all your help. I am reading the replies over again. Very interesting as I know very little about the world lap steels. Thanks again very much. Very informative.
Steven Albrecht

Post by Steven Albrecht »

I bought a rogue for 60 and for what I needed it for sounded fine for a learner especially for the money