No Peddler Ever

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Love all steel music. For non-pedal I
have D-8 Blond Stringmaster which I love. An Oahu, a Supro, an 'Electar', a Dobro, a Melobar, and some custom S-8's that I make which are like Stringmasters in tone and function - I call them Berkley Legacy guitars. This way I can leave the Fender home where it's safe!

But play pedal too!

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature Run Wild" - govt. offical - Alaska

Gordon Black

Post by Gordon Black »

It all started with a Paul Beard Flinthill. Then came the Melobro, Gibson EH-500, Melobar D-8 SuperSteel and a flea-market, no-name 6 string lap. Oh yeah, the back neck on my D-10 Fessenden too.......
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Ian,,,with all those guitars you could open a steel guitar music shoppe,,,,and make a lot of money,,,boy what a collection,,,where do you find room for all of those???
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Jody:
Hey, cut it out, would you? The last thing I need is people suggesting I have a large number of guitars, since I'm still trying to sell my wife on the idea of guitars-as-wall-art and guitar-case-as-end-table. I've actually sold off quite a few the past couple of years (one of life's great principles: you sell toys to buy toys), and will probably have to dispose of at least two or three more soon. If anyone's interested in anything on the list, they can drop me a line at my new address, donian@sympatico.ca.
Don Sutley

Post by Don Sutley »

I play a '56 Fender Triple 8 Custom and a '49 National Chicagoan but I have to admit I've got the pedal urge real bad.
Dave Mayes

Post by Dave Mayes »

'51 Fender Dual 8
'53 Fender Dual 8
'54 Fender Dual 6
I think I see a pattern here.
Zayit

Post by Zayit »

Great attitude Ian! I love this forum... Thanx for the great ideas & mentoring from Basil, Ian, Brad & many others too. I play blues; folk-rock; country-rock; rock-a-billy & a little swing. I started out playing bottleneck & dobro in low 'G', took 14 years off to have a life, then got into C6 lapsteel with a vengeance. I love the Nashville sound, but I never got used to pedals... My axes:
'50 Leilani (Magnatone) Varsity 6
'49 National Chicagoan 6
Excell Frypan 8
'39 Kraftsman single cone
Johnson Dobro (jet black)
I own a Sho Bud Maverick s-10 which I have set up for C6th, but I dont use it since I got the frypan!
My current 'project' is an S-8 neck salvaged from a National or Magnatone multi neck console. I want to make it into a good 'swing' steel.

Wish list: Any tricone & a double neck National/Valco or Rick- however Supro or Magnatone will do for me since I'm a picker not a collector & a serious amateur- not a serious proffessional...
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Don,,,,nothing wrong with you urge to get a pedal guitar,,,,some of my best friends play pedal guitar,,,,get one and try it,,,see if you can get the "timbre" and sound from the best of them out there as you do from you old fender guitar "custom" then e mail me.

DONT SELL IT ,,,you'll be sorry
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Bob,,,have you ever had the pickup assembly off of your T 8 custom guitar,,,e mail me need to ask you something,,,,,,Jody
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Jason,,,you are not missing anything,,,do what you like best,,,I have three pedal steels,,,Emmons, Fender 1000, ShoBud I like the Fender non pedal guitar the best ..... I love the chord possibilities of a pedal guitar,,,but pedals are for bicycles....I have reflectors on my pedals and knee levers ,,,when I press a pedal or move a knee lever ,,,they light up,,,,way cool Im going to patent that,,,do you think Im "nuts"?? dont answer that,,,,<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 10 May 2001 at 06:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Didi Waechtler

Post by Didi Waechtler »

..good one..
I use and love my old Ricky Mod.59 build 1938 most with a C6 Tuning and a Melobar SLS with a G ore differend tunings for more rocky songs and Dobrolike sounds with my Matchbro.
Live I switch a lot between my JCH-Pedal-steelguitar and my lapsteels.
BRGDS to all forumies
Didi Waechtler Image

------------------
www.dietmarwaechtler.cool.am
didisteel@aol.com

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Didi Waechtler on 11 May 2001 at 01:34 AM.]</p></FONT>
Scott Camara

Post by Scott Camara »

I must admit, this forum is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion. I've been playing the resonator guitar for about 4 years now, and started experimenting with the PSG about a year ago. My current band the Rafter Bats does mostly orignals mixing Bluegrass, Rock, and Counry-swing.

------------------
Scott Camara
Emmons S10 p/p
McKenna Resophonic
Marrs RGS
ODE Banjo
http://www.rafterbats.com
Todd Weger

Post by Todd Weger »

Love this thread!

I have only one NP steel at this point:

1960 Fenders D-8 Stringmaster (C6, E13).

I currently have the C6 tuned to an open A7 for blues playing with a more traditional sound, although, I sometimes just use the C6 for that, too, and just avoid certain notes.

I am looking to get an 8-string lap (Melobar or Sierra) sometime soon to take to jams, etc., and have one more tuning, also. Six strings are fine, too, but I like the spacing of an eight.

Love this forum! Image
TJ

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6) through a vintage Super Reverb

Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

Have we now heard from everyone?Is the number firm?
mikey

Post by mikey »

Dobro,Weissenborn,Bear Creek,National Tri-cone,Oahu electric 6...Fender single 8 (Stringmaster type),Sho-Bud Pro-1(rarely leaves its case)
mike
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Todd The Fender is all you need,,,be glad you have it,,,,
Billy Henderson

Post by Billy Henderson »

I play a doubleneck Dixon 787R, one neck has seven strings the other eight. It was owned by someone called "Imalois" (she painted her name on the front). It has a place for
three legs but I use a keyboard stand.

Ever heard of a Dixon? I have inquired before but no responses.

Bill Henderson
Steve Honum

Post by Steve Honum »

'62 Fender single 8 Deluxe (Stringmaster style)Tuned A6. I like it because I can play standing up with my 'Tele' hanging around my neck. Never had a pedal guitar. Seems too mechanical. The only pedal I use with the steel is the Boss RV-3 digital reverb sometimes if I'm in my Vibro Champ amp. (Can't get used to a volume pedal on the steel, although I like it with my guitar???)
Haere mai,
Steve H.
Corwin Colebrooke

Post by Corwin Colebrooke »

Epiphone Les Paul with nut extender with 10-52 strings tuned to open G while I wait for the woodshop to reopen so I can finish my lap steel(poplar body similar shape to the TeleRatt but with a Gibson-esque headstock). the LP seems to be an ok learning option, but I'm not putting the 16-56 strings on it.
Andy Alford

Post by Andy Alford »

We are trying to locate all the non pedal players on the forum.Please join us on the topic.
Mike Vasquez

Post by Mike Vasquez »

Fender D-8 Stringmaster
Fender T-8 Professional
National 6 string
Melobar 6 string
Oahu 6 string
JB Excel Fry Pan
Mark Davis

Post by Mark Davis »

Right now I only have 1 lap steel. 1953 Fender Champion 6 string.

Looking for a Fender 8 string single neck to go with it so it doesnt get lonely.

Patrick Cullie

Post by Patrick Cullie »

my .02 cents worth. a mid-30s regal/dobro squareneck and a 50s harmony mother-of-you-know-what lap steel through a black-face 60s fender princeton and, since i'm assuming they count cuz there's no pedals either, bottleneck slide guitar on a 70s dobro roundneck and a 1999 national delphi. but, i just got my 70s lloyd green sho-bud and brother is it fun.
Gary Anwyl

Post by Gary Anwyl »

"Pre-war" Bakelite Rick with white plates (Open E)
Gibson Royaltone (C6)
'99 Regal Dobro (Open G)
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

'27 National Tricone

My Rickys
'34 Frypan
'37 Silver Haw.
'37 Bakelite
'38 Bakelite
'38 D14
'39 Silver Haw.
'40 Bakelite
'46 NS
'47 Bakelite
'48 Academy
'58 SW6
'59 S100

Fender Dual Pro (1 trap; 1 boxcar)
Magnetone Lyric D8
OMI Dobro
Superior Weissy
Sierra Laptop 8 (w/ Horseshoe Pickup)
JB Frypan (w/ Horseshoe Pickup)
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 25 January 2003 at 03:21 PM.]</p></FONT>