paul franklin shobud??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

My Pro-ll custom had the straight knee levers and the wood necks. That would be my guess as to what Paul is playing. The knee levers also look like the Super Pro pot metal ones that were on the Pro-ll Customs also.
Chubby Howard

Post by Chubby Howard »

Well here is the story about that guitar that I was told by Paul Franklin SR!!!! Paul came into Sho-Bud looking for a new guitar but did not want the normal color like Red,Black,Ect... so his dad had them mix up paint colors. When they got to this Color by mixing so much paint no way to Duplicate the color. So I was there and Shot gave me one in the same color, I had them put the piping stripe also on the back of Guitar and Shot said Chubby who will see that and I said I will!!! Then Terry Bethel,Doug Jernigan,Terry Crisp,and maybe 1 more had it also. David Jackson said that was all they made in that color,I still have it,he said it is worth some money,I don't play it no more not since my day's with Box Car Willie in 1983 and 1984. Now it IS a Pro II wood necks but mine is a 8 and 6. It looks Brand New Still!!!! One of the Prettiest colors they ever made I will post a picture of it later. Thanks for your time, Chubby Howard
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Hey Chubby:

I remember you playing that guitar with BoxCar when we did some shows together. You sounded great playing it. It is a cool color. Hope you're well !!

I also remember seeing Paul around Nashville playing his Sho-Bud of that color as seen in the earlier photo. I'm thinking that was around '76 or '77. We did some shows with Jerry Reed in '78 while Paul was working the road with him. Paul was playing a Black Emmons "Original" through Session 400s with Jerry at that time.

Chris "Tiny" O.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Did Paul ever play for Mel Tillis? I could have sworn I saw a YouTube video of him with Mel, I believe he was doing I got the Hoss or some other smokin' hot song, playing a Sho~Bud, had a 'fro, and had smoke coming off those strings. I haven't been able to find it and was wondering if I dreamed that. I know it wasn't Terry.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Yes, Paul definitely worked with M-M-M-Mel Tillis. I attended one performance and chatted with him there.
Last edited by Jim Cohen on 10 Nov 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Richard,
If you have a copy of the last issue of Tom Bradshaw's magazine, we ran an ad in that issue featuring Paul, in which he mentions playing for Mel. The accompanying photo shows Paul playing a Franklin steel.

Craig
"Make America Great Again". . . The Only Country With Dream After Its Name.
Chubby Howard

Post by Chubby Howard »

Thanks Tiny, Everything is great, hope your doing well. Really miss your playing you are great!!!! Thanks my friend, Chubby Howard
Richard Sinkler

Craig Baker wrote:Richard,
If you have a copy of the last issue of Tom Bradshaw's magazine, we ran an ad in that issue featuring Paul, in which he mentions playing for Mel. The accompanying photo shows Paul playing a Franklin steel.

Craig
The video I saw, I'm fairly poitive it was a Sho-Bud. I'll try searching again. Of course, I could be wrong, but it stood out as I wondered when he sarted playing a Franklin.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I got my Franklin, Dec 81 (there is controversy on whether it is an 81 or 82 but based on other serial numbers its an 81). Paul was working for Tillis and playing a Franklin at that time, and doing session work.

My Franklin has the "new" rounded Franklin logo and Paul SR told me it was designed by the keyboard player in Tillis' band.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i saw him at the state fair in sacramento with mel and talked to him. he was playing the black franklin.
young, thin, energetic...with an afro!
he was very friendly.
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Richard, Here is the ad we ran in the magazine. The photo of Paul was taken at a Mel Tillis performance at Valley Forge Music Fair in 1985 or 86. As you can see, he is playing a black Franklin with the square Logo. Great band, by the way!

Craig
"Make America Great Again". . . The Only Country With Dream After Its Name.
Richard Sinkler

Well, I can't find the video. He was on the right side of the stage by girl singers, and angled on the stage. This was when he had his 'fro. I saw one with the Franklin, but he was more to the left center of the stage, but I really didn't get a good look at him. I am wondering if it was an old Barbara Mandrell live video. But I can't find one there. I'll just concede that I drempt it.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Glad you're well Chubby. Always a pleasure to hear from you my friend !!

I remember when Paul went to work for Mel after he was with Jerry Reed. We did some shows with them also and if I recall correctly, Paul was still playing the black Emmons at first with Mel prior to the Franklin. I'd say that was early '79. It seems to me that I may have also seen him playing a Bud at a show with Mel like Richard says. That would have been '79 also I'd guess, also just prior to the Franklin guitar. It's all somewhat of a best-guess from distant recollections though... if you know what I mean !!??

It doesn't matter which horn he was playing as they all sounded great beneath his hands. An awesome player for many decades and just a great guy to boot.!!

Chris "Tiny" O.
Richard Sinkler

The video I think I saw looked like an older video. I wish I could find it. It was one badass video.
Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

Við Vegin is the name of the clip on youtube if you wish to see and hear it, featuring the usual The Players, at least this incarnation of the group.

sure gets a sweet tone out of that bud.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

The guitar is a Pro 11 Custom. The picture was taken at the Ramada Inn North on Brick Church Pike in Nashville.
Zumsteel steel guitars, Telonics and Peavey amplifiers, GHS strings.
Chubby Howard

Post by Chubby Howard »

Thanks Mike that is what mine is also, great guitar and so pretty looking but to HEAVY for me!!!! Chubby Howard